Freezing Whole Tomatoes

Two beautiful red tomatoes.
You can cut down the preparation time for freezing your garden tomatoes by freezing them whole. This is a guide about freezing whole tomatoes.

All we do with them is rinse them off and blot dry, put in Ziploc bags and freeze. To use them, I drop into hot liquid, and use my Chinese spider strainer to pull out of broth, slip off skins and core or not. Then I drop them back into sauce, or what ever I am using them for and continue to cook. Works like a charm.

By Connie from Ballwin, MO

If you have too many tomatoes from your garden, put them in a brown paper bag and put them in your freezer. When you are ready for your favorite tomato recipe, just take them out and run them under cold water. The skins will peel right off. Then just thaw them out and cook.

By PC from Salem, OR

I have a garden that has produced lots of tomatoes. I just don't have time right now to can them all. Is there any way I can freeze the tomatoes whole until I get around to using them in my soups? If this is possible, how do I do it?

Littlefoot from Petersburg, VA

Answers:

Freezing Whole Tomatoes

Best use of freezer space is to put tomatoes in blender, whip, pour into freezer bags without air, zip. Fill only till it will lay flat, then you can stack them like books and they won't topple. Freeze flat. Stack when all are frozen. Also store on end, like books. Later, toss into kettle with a few cups of water, cover and heat till all are thawed, then continue to cook till desired thickness. Can in pressure cooker. Recipe directions. You can use these freezer bags of tomatoes to make recipes needing tomato sauce also, or for tomato soup. (10/16/2005)

By SimonSimply

Freezing Whole Tomatoes

I used to freeze whole tomatoes. I just put them in a freezer safe bag, twist tie the top and place in the freezer. It is easy to take the skins off. Just take out of the freezer and put in some hot water a minute. Take out and slip the skin off. However whole tomatoes do take a lot of the room. Most of the time now, I just cut them up. Heat through, cool and freeze. (10/17/2005)

By suzq

Freezing Whole Tomatoes

Boil a pan of water. Wash tomatoes and cut out stem base. Plunge the tomatoes into the boiling water. Remove from the water after about a minute. Submerge blanched tomatoes in cold water. The skin will split, and can be peeled off easily. Place three or four tomatoes in a quart size freezer bag and freeze. (10/17/2005)

By Kate

Freezing Whole Tomatoes

I always freeze whole tomatoes, just wipe them off. I keep a bread sack in freezer and put ripe tomatoes in it. When it's full, I tie it up. When I need tomatoes in a recipe, I take out however many I want and the skin just come off in the hot liquid that I'm using. It's easy to pick off as it floats to the top (05/06/2006)

By gerta