Freezing Zucchini

Category Vegetables
Storing a bumper crop of garden zucchini in the freezer is a great way to preserve it for cooking in the cold winter months. This is a guide about freezing zucchini.

Muffin tin filled with grated zucchini.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

If you grow zucchini, you may have some extra that you would want to freeze. Use a muffin tin to freeze your shredded zucchini into small portions. This is a guide about use muffin tins to freeze shredded zucchini.

Frozen Zucchini

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

It is a good idea to remove excess moisture from your zucchini prior to freezing for a better result when using it later. This is a guide about removing excess moisture from zucchini before freezing.

A Guide to Freezing Zucchini

Selecting High-Quality Zucchini:

Choose young squash with smooth, tender skin and a vibrant, dark green color. Steer clear of yellowing (past prime) zucchini with pits, soft spots or shriveled looking skin.
freezing guide

Preparing for Freezing:

Wash, but do no not peel. Cut zucchini into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices depending on freezing method.

Blanching Time:

Water-blanch for 3 minutes or steam-blanch for 1 to 2 minutes. Cool promptly and drain.

Best Freezing Method(s):

Unblanched Slices (great for stir fry):

Wash and drain zucchini. Pat dry. Trim ends and cut into 1/4 inch slices. Pack in suitable containers. Seal, label and freeze.

Boilable Bags:

Wash and drain. Pat dry. Trim ends and cut into 1/4 inch slices. Pack in boilable bags, press out air and seal. Blanch in boiling water (4 bags at a time for 5 minutes. Cool bags and pat dry. Label and freeze.

Tray Packs (great breaded and fried):

Wash and drain. Cut into 1/2 inch slices and place unblanched in a single layer on a baking sheet. Tray-freeze until firm. Transfer to suitable containers. Seal, label and freeze.

Sautéed Zucchini:

Sauté and package, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Seal and freeze. Sauté gently in a little melted butter until barely tender. Cool, pack into plastic containers leaving headspace at the top. Freeze up to 3 months

Grated Zucchini (great for baking):

Wash and grate zucchini. Steam-blanch for 1 to 2 minutes until translucent. Cool. Pack pre-measured amounts into containers and seal leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Label and freeze.

Suitable Packaging:

Freezer containers should be moisture and vapor resistant and should not be prone to cracking or breaking at low temperatures. Containers should provide protection against absorbing flavors or odors and should be easy to label. Suitable packaging for freezing zucchini includes freezer-grade plastic bags, rigid plastic containers, glass containers, heavy-duty aluminum foil or foil containers.

Maximum Storage Time at 0ºF:

Unblanched slices-4 to 6 months; blanched-10 to 12 months.

Thawing:

Add frozen zucchini directly to dishes while cooking.

Tips & Shortcuts:

All summer squash can be prepared for freezing in a similar way.

Refrigerating Zucchini:

Store in a perforated plastic bag for up to 1 week. Do not wash until ready to use.

I grate Zucchini put my measured cups for recipe into vaccuum bags, freeze. When I want a load of zucchini bread I take one out, thaw and put it into my recipe. I cut down on the liquid call for in recipe. Turns out very tasty.

In July or August it is best to keep your car doors locked or you are apt to end up with a backseat full of oversized zucchini. My solution is both simple and thrifty. For the giant ones, de-seed (using a spoon), peel if necessary, shred with a food processor, and store in two cup amounts. You can put about 9 sandwich bags full into a gallon freezer bag.

Throughout the winter add a sandwich bag to every chili, spaghetti sauce, stew, or vegetable soup that you make. You can also thaw it for use in zucchini muffins and zucchini bread (drain well). If the free zucchinis are less than massive sized, simply wash, dice, and freeze in similar amounts and use as with any vegetable. This certainly adds color and vitamins to winter dishes and the cost is little.

By Mainedame from Anson, ME

When freezing zucchini, do l shredded it after I cook it and then freeze it?

By Susan from lN

Hi Susan! I have had good luck with simply shredding it, measuring it out into 4 cup increments, and freezing it. I have noticed that when I thaw it to use in baking bread, the quantity is about half of the freshly shredded variety. I guess that is from the liquid portion freezing and thawing. I recently read that you should squeeze out the liquid before freezing. I think I will give that a try this year. Good luck!

If you plan to use the shredded zucchini in bread, you don't cook it anyway. You just leave it raw. I shred mine, put in freezer without any other prep. Sometimes it gets a little too "soupy" when frozen so you might want to drain some of the moisture off so your bread turns out ok.

I just shred it raw and put it in freezer bags. Once thawed I usually drain and squeeze out excess water.

I, too, just shred and freeze in a freezer bag. For fried or baked zucchini, I slice it and bread it, freeze on a cookie sheet then put into a bag and put into the freezer. I do the same with my okra.

Can I freeze zucchini whole?

By Christel from Cleveland, SC

Anonymous

Right here at ThriftyFun there is a great post about freezing zucchini.

http://www.thri  f676463.tip.html

Anonymous

I wouldn't. Wash, slice, blanch for 3 minutes, place in ice water for 5 minutes, drain well to remove as much water as possible, place in freezer bags and freeze.

I wonder if you could freeze this whole if you freeze with dry ice? Alton Brown once did that with whole strawberries on his show and he said they froze so fast that they didn't get all mushy like regular freezing. I have no idea what dry ice costs, but it might be worth trying out. Same goes for whole peaches, blueberries. You could buy a little of several things and while you have the dry ice, freeze a variety of things. It only takes a couple of minutes. Then thaw the next day and see how they come out.

When freezing zucchini what do you have to do so it doesn't turn watery when thawed out?

By Vicki W

Unfortunately, squash is a high percentage water, so it will always be watery when thawed. This is why most recipes for zucchini breads, muffins, cakes, etc, are very thick--to allow the excess water from the zucchini to thin the batter. Personally, when I freeze grated zucchini for breads, I always use its water in the recipe (I usually add powdered milk to it, for the liquid).

Can I freeze marrows?

By Neil

Are you referring to the vegetable marrows that are grown in England. Here in the States we have a smaller version called Zucchini. It does not freeze well as it contains a lot of water. Maybe someone will know of another method of preserving it.

Is it possible to freeze courgettes?

By Geoff

I grate all my zucchini and measure out by the cup, then bag it and freeze it. When I want to make zucchini bread its all ready to use, I just defrost it.

How do you freeze zucchini?

By Annette