Fresh Smelling Towels

How can I get my bath and kitchen towels to smell fresh? These items get used VERY frequently in my house (we have 3 boys) and never have a chance to sit around and get musty. Bath towels are always air dried before being put into the hamper so they are not getting sour. I use the same detergent and fabric softener on our clothes and bed linens as well as the towels. Our clothes and sheets smell great but the towels have a metallic, sour and musty odor. Please help, it's driving me crazy.

jleigh37 from Alleyton, Texas

Answers:

Fresh Smelling Towels

I have had this problem in the past. We have very humid weather in the summer, so I think that doesn't help! I use plain old vinegar in the load, I put the vinegar in the fabric softener cup that is in the washer. Fill it to the top. It has helped for me. Plus when the load is done, get them out right away so the towels aren't sitting there wet. So, try that, it doesn't smell like vinegar when done! Trust me, if it did I wouldn't use it!! ;) (06/22/2006)

By mobo

Fresh Smelling Towels

I had this annoying problem, too. I even soaked my towels in dry bleach/detergent & it didn't help much. Then I started using Clorox, but I feel only about 1/4 cup is needed, not the 1 cup they call for. ONLY use on white/light towels! (06/22/2006)

By maryc

Fresh Smelling Towels

I have always been told to not use fabric softener with the towels (any towel) it takes away from the absorbency. I have always rinsed my towels in vinegar it removes any left over soap residue in the towel and it does not leave your towels smelling like vinegar. I learned this trick when my daughter was a baby and allergic to soap. The doctor told me to do this to get all of the soap out. This trick also works on your hair and leaves hair sparkling. (06/22/2006)

By Carol

Fresh Smelling Towels

I've found that it doesn't matter what you use - the problem will remain. Try sticking a dryer sheet in between the towels. (06/23/2006)

By marydobro

Fresh Smelling Towels

Soak overnight in washer with 1 c vinegar added to water, spin out and then wash as usual. Works for me. (06/23/2006)

By Linda

Fresh Smelling Towels

I don't use detergent on my towels. I use Borateem in a hot water wash and vinegar in the rinse. If possible I hang out to dry in the sun. My towels smell like summer sun and cotton. (06/23/2006)

By carla bledsoe

Fresh Smelling Towels
Clothing stored in a closet.
Keeping Clothes Smelling Fresh
Stack of Colored Towels
Saving Money on Towels
Keeping Your House Smelling Nice With Smokers
Stack of colorful towels.
Making Bath Towels More Absorbent
🎉
🎄