Freshening a Ferret Cage

Category Ferrets
A ferret in a wire cage.
While ferrets make excellent pets, you do need to deal with their musky odor. This is a guide about freshening a ferret cage.

I have been hanging a plastic sandwich bag, open, on the outside of the cage with a 1/8 teaspoon of vanilla in it. It seems to help freshen the area around the cage. Any other ferret freshness ideas?

I also put linoleum on the bottom of the cage in places, so it can have a place to lay down and I put t shirts and towels in there for her to cuddle in. She is so sweet! I reach in with a sandwich bag on my hand to pick up what I need to.

Such an adorable pet. I also found out aloe wipes repel fleas in very young kittens so she gets aloe wipe baths often. :)

By Racer from Hampton, TN

Top Comment

I had 6 ferrets, 4 at one time! The best advice I can give to keep them smelling fresh, (or as fresh as a ferret can smell) is to change their bedding and hammocks frequently. I made sleeping bags out of old hand towels that they slept in, on their hammocks. Both sleeping bags and hammocks tend to absorb their odors, so changing them often helps a lot.

Top Comment

I have two ferrets and people that have said they can't stand the smell of them don't even know they are here and shocked to find out that they are. The key to keeping the smell down has nothing to do with air freshers or sprays it's all about keeping their home clean. I wash their "bedding"(beds hammocks, floor mats, ramp covers, etc) once a week. I made most of the bedding and have a number of sets so I can change them out and then wash the old set. No need to wait for it to go through the washer and dyer.

The litter box is cleaned once a day, normally at their bed time when they go back into their cage at night. I also clean the litter boxes they have in their room at that time. I do not use any type of air freshener or spray on them or their cage but if they make a 'mistake' when they are loose in their room I do wash the carpet in that area and use a spray that gets rid of the scent so that they don't start to think of that spot as a 'litter box'.

Once a month they get a bath, sometimes a little longer. The more you bath them the more they smell sometimes as it can trigger even unscented ferrets to produce the musk.

When the weather is nice outside I do take the cage out and give it a total cleaning but that is normally just once a year as it is a big job. If you do all of that you should find the smell greatly cut down. A few of my friends have decided that ferrets aren't so bad after all and are thinking of getting into them. They are more work then a cat or dog but a lot of fun.

You can also use fleece blankets for making bedding. Walmart and other stores can have them for as low as $5 a blanket for one that is 50" x 60" That is bigger then a yard of fleece that you buy and cheaper too since a yard of fleece at walmart is $4.5 up to $9 for the fancier prints. I bought two a couple weeks ago one that is winter print and one that is xmas. So far I have made one double hammock and a sleep sack out of the xmas one and still have 3/4 of the blanket left.

That hammack is such a clever idea!

I buy lavender scented dog training pads and keep them in all my corners as well as under the cage. Not only do they catch "accidental" messes when the ferrets are out running around but they smell SO fresh!