Fried Green Tomato Recipes

Category Vegetables
Fried Green Tomatoes
A delicious way to use up the end of the season tomatoes from the garden. This page contains fried green tomato recipes.

Fried green tomatoes are a family favorite of ours. When my gluten sensitive guests come for supper, I change things up just a little. With the help of "Betty Crocker Gluten Free Bisquick" instead of flour everyone can enjoy the great taste of this southern favorite!

• green tomatoes, sliced
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup Gluten Free Bisquick
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 Tbsp cooking oil or Crisco

1. Slice the green tomatoes to desired thickness.
  2. Soak sliced tomatoes in milk for approx 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to milk if desired.
  3. Heat cooking oil or Crisco in frying pan until hot enough for frying.
  4. Advertisement
  5. Pour ample amount of Bisquick into a bowl big enough to dredge tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to the dry mixture for added flavor.
  6. When oil is ready, dredge wet tomatoes into the dry Bisquick until covered thoroughly then place into hot oil. Cook until golden brown then flip to brown other side.
  7. Place cooked tomatoes on paper towel to drain excess oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
  8. Advertisement
Top Comment

I picked the larger green tomatoes off the tomato vines before the big freeze last week. We had fried green tomatoes for supper tonight. Delicious.

I'm keeping the tomatoes in a cool room and hope they will be good for a few weeks. We love fried green tomatoes. This is a good recipe for those of us that have to avoid gluten.

This is such an easy dish to prepare. We make it at least two times during the growing season, when we really need to have a way to use up green tomatoes. When our tomato plants are just starting to get tomatoes on them, they are often too heavy for the branches, so they need to be lightened. By removing some of the still green tomatoes, it insures a better crop of vine-ripened ones later.

Secondly, we need to do something with a lot of green tomatoes at the end of the season when cold weather threatens to come earlier than expected. Other than making a good relish, there are few ways of making good use of the surplus unless you're really into Green Tomato Pie. More about that later maybe.

This recipe can also be used to fry zucchini or yellow squash.

• 4 medium-size green tomatoes
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup cornmeal (or flour or mix of flour and cornmeal)
  • 2 Tbsp. bacon drippings

Directions:

Cut tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices. Season with salt and pepper and dredge in cornmeal.

Heat bacon drippings in a heavy skillet. Add tomato slices a few at the time, and fry slowly until browned. Turn each slice one time.

This recipe yields enough for 2 hungry people. You might have enough for 4 people, if they are served just as a side dish.

Note: If you don't have bacon drippings, don't let that stop you. Use a good vegetable oil like Mazola corn oil.

Servings: 2 or maybe 3
Prep Time: 10-15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 Minutes

Source: Another of my Mother's and no doubt my Grandmother's way of using all the available foods without wasting anything.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

Although we try not to eat a lot of fried foods, fried green tomatoes are a real treat sometimes and so simple to make.

• green tomatoes
  • corn meal
  • salt
  • pepper
  • olive oil

1. Wash tomatoes and dry off with paper towel.

2. Slice tomatoes approximately 1/2 inch thick.

3. Sprinkle each slice with salt and pepper as desired.

4. Pour olive oil in frying pan approximately 1/4 inch deep and heat on medium.

5. Coat tomato slices with cornmeal and place in hot oil.

6. Fry until browned on each side.

7. Place on paper towels to drain.

Ingredients

• 4 medium green tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
  • salt
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 3 Tbsp. flour
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
  • 1/2 tsp. oregano
  • 1/2 tsp. ginger
  • dash red pepper
  • 2 eggs

Directions

Sprinkle both sides of tomatoes with salt and let stand 10 minutes. Combine cornmeal, cheese, flour and seasonings. In another bowl place eggs and beat. Pat tomatoes dry. Dip into eggs and coat with dry mixture. Fry in butter until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.

In a bowl, mix the flour, black pepper, red pepper, garlic powder, eggs, and beer. The mixture should resemble pancake batter.

I would like to know how to fry good green tomatoes? I need a great batter.

By Rere from Philadelphia, MS

Answer Was this helpful? 1

All you need for the best fried green tomatoes is bacon grease, about 1/2 inch thick slices green tomatoes and corn meal & flour ( I use 3 or 4 tablespoonful of corn meal to 1 tablespoon of flour). Mix the dry ingredients on a paper plate. Wash the tomatoes and slice them .Leave them damp but not dripping water. Dredge the slices in the dry mix and place in the heated bacon grease. Fry a couple of minutes on each side ,until golden brown and drain on paper towels. Enjoy. Great Granny Vi

Oh you don't want to eat these every day, but for once in awhile do it right with bacon grease. ;-)

Slice your washed green tomatoes about 1/4" thick; drain on paper towels; dredge in flour, then beaten egg, then in seasoned bread crumbs. Fry in oil until tender and golden brown.

I fry my green tomatoes like Granny Vi except I salt mine and fry in vegetable oil.

Well, this is the way I do mine:

Wash tomatoes. Peel them. Cut into bite size wedges. Put in single layer on a plate and salt. Leave them for a few minutes to "sweat". Mix flour and cornmeal in a ziploc bag. Put wedges in bag and shake. Fry in oil until crisp. Drain on paper towels and salt. The wedges keep the tomatoes from getting soggy like the slices tend to do.

This is a lot like everyone else has posted except cutting them in wedges. Do try the wedges. You'll love the way they turn out. We had them this way in a Southern restaurant in Georgia and have been making them that way ever since.

Does anyone have a recipe for freezing green tomatoes? I want to batter them and freeze them? Thanks.

By Rascalsmama from Edgefield, SC

I batter mine as if going to fry and put on a baking sheet lined with wax paper and froze them. When frozen, I put in ziplock bag. I had a large amount so I had to use several baking sheets. I would take out the amount I need to fry.

I tried that last year. They froze well but, they didn't fry up well. Turned to mush. I really wanted it to work, too.

Slice green tomatos about 1\8 inch slices. Place flat on countertop or prep table, salt well with shaker on both sides. Coat both sides of tomatos with flour, and place on cookie sheet about 1/4 inch apart.

Place in freezer for 30-45 minutes. Then put into ziplock freezer bag and return to freezer for later use. Note- Do not thaw for frying. Heat oil or shortening before removing from freezer. Place into oil as soon as removed from freezer 1 slice at a time so oil temp is stable.