ClothingCleaning

Front Load Washer Leaves Clothes Hard

Category Clothing

I have recently bought a front loader and I am not happy with it. I use front loader detergent, but for some reason all the clothes and particularly the towels have become extremely hard. I use softener, but it makes no difference. Any ideas? I am ready to send it back.

By Marina

Funny that. I have the same problem and thought it was just me! There is a product that looks like crystals which you put in with your detergent and it works like a fabric softener. I'm going to try that next and see what happens! the only thing I can think of is that the machine is taking the fabric softener too early and rinsing it out at the final rinse. maybe all front loaders do it. vinegar instead of fabric softener may be an option but I've never had success with softer clothes using vinegar in a "normal" machine. I've just learned to accept it.

I have melie and the biggest mistake I've ever made. I have tried everything possible, bicarbonate of soda, calgon, vinegar, less detergent.

I don't want to use the dryer, I have a hoist,

When I owned a top loader Fischer and Paykel my towels were fluffy and I never used softener. My opinion is that tumble washers have little space and press the fibres against the drum. Top loaders the clothes brush against each other lifting any pile.

I have good luck with filling my liquid bleach despenser with about 1/2 cup white vinegar. The clothes come out much softer than with fabric softener and also absorb better when drying my body with the towels.

I have had a front loader for years and love it. Your clothes wind up getting detergent left in them from using too much detergent and overloading the washer. As above, if you double rinse (don't panic the machine uses less water anyway) and use vinegar in the rinse cycle it makes a big difference. You didn't say if you dry them in a dryer or not. If you don't use a dryer, "snap" the clothes when you shake them out and hang them.

I am really unhappy with my new Bosch front loader washing machine for the same reason as everyone else it seems. I have a small B&B and so soft fluffy towels is a must and something I've been able to provide for 15 years with my old Simpson top loader. Those towels now are hard and tufted and nothing makes any difference...different spin speeds, adding bi-carb and vinegar etc and as always shaking out towels before hanging on clothesline. Even if they are half wet they still have a twisted pile from the action on the machine. Very disappointed customer.

My new husband came with a front load washer, and it's been a learning experience, lol! I have learned that with front load washers, less is more when it comes to detergent, and that using laundry soap for front load washers (marked HE for High Efficiency) is the single most important tip around!

Until I figured that out, our clothes came out of the washer nearly stiff enough to stand up on their own. I'm lucky that my new husband understood it was a learning curve:)

I solved the stiff clothes situation by running the clothes through a full wash cycle (with an extra rinse) without soap-OH WOW, I had to run some of the clothes twice to get all the left over soap out of them! It was amazing to see all the soap suds sloshing across that window the first wash cycle, LOL.

Then I cleaned the washer by running it empty two full cycles without soap, changed the laundry soap to HE products, and cut back the amount of HE soap I used to the barest minimum when I started washing clothes in the front loader again.

It was a bit of time consuming work (tell me again how a two hour washing is an energy saver?) but our clothes are soft and soap free when the wash cycle is done. Even dried on the clothesline, the softness stays-the ultimate sign of clean clothes without any soap residue.

Make sure you're using soap designed for front loaders. Since they need much less soap and use much less water, using regular soap would leave clothes feeling stiff or hard. I've been using mine for almost 3 years and my clothes not only come out soft, but new clothes don't seem to look as worn as quick.