Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

I have a Bosch front load washer that smells terrible. A friend researched this and claims that it is from the "fish oils" in the liquid detergent. Has anyone ever heard of this? She suggested running "hot" water and bleach through it twice and then switching to use HE powder detergent instead.

By KellyRaeB from OH

Answers:

Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

My front loader that I have had for years also smells and the remedy for this is: First, leave the door open so it can dry out and secondly once a month I put through 1 cup of bleach (of course without any clothes). This was recommended by Kenmore when I purchased my new front loader. Happy Laundry Day. (09/26/2009)

By Heidemarie

Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

I came across a website called Odor Medic and it can be reached at this web address odormedic.com. They have a product there that sounds like it will work. I'm ordering one of their products for eliminating cat urine. A friend of mine has two cats and the smell in the home is horrific. (09/29/2009)

By instruction4me

Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

I found a product that Tide has put out especially for cleaning your washer. It might work for your problem or it might not. Might have to use the Tide cleaner 2-3 times, but you will have to try it and see.
Dawna (09/29/2009)

By Indianone

Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

We had the same problem. The suggestion was made to prop open the lid where you put in the soap, etc., after the final use. Also, wiping off the glass and rubber seal helps. I usually leave the door open for a few hours after the last use. I prop the lid open and leave it that way until the next use. It worked, no more smell. This might work for you, too. (10/01/2009)

By pikkymama