Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

How do you get the smell out of an older Maytag front loader washing machine?

By Bramma5 from Bend, OR

Answers:

Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

I have never had this problem but have you tried to clean your washer with baking soda? One good thing about baking soda, it can't hurt it so, try it and see if it helps. Hope this helps. (01/14/2010)

By hodgemelody

Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

I have a front loading washer. Have you cleaned out the drain that is behind the front panel? If not, try that. Also, we were recommended by the maker of our washer to use Clorox wipes between washes and to run a "cleaning" cycle with bleach, too. Hope this helps. Check your owner's manual for additional tips. (01/15/2010)

By CarrieLyne

Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

Always use a little Clorox with your loads. I add a teaspoon to the colored load. It will not affect the colors. I took the chance when I decided to purchase a front loader. Also, leave the door open after you are finished washing. Right now, what you need to do is pour a cup of Clorox, even the scented kind, directly into the washer, put the washer on the longest cycle and let it run until finished. (01/15/2010)

By theshrimp

Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

Do not use liquid detergent or liquid fabric softener. Forget bleach, Affresh, removing panels, etc. If you use powdered HE the smell will go away, I speak from experience. (01/18/2010)

By syntoniser

Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

Is it a Neptune? If so, a few years ago there was a recall on them, and Maytag replaced the part that held water that caused the smell. It made a difference on our Neptune. You may want to contact Maytag. (01/18/2010)

By Squirrley

Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

You have to leave the door open all the time the washer isn't in use, because, unlike a top loader, the seal is air-tight and the bacteria start to grow in the dark and damp interior of the machine immediately when the washer stops. Run an empty, hot water cycle with washing soda, or distilled vinegar, or bleach, then leave the door open. (01/18/2010)

By soup-lady

Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

My Kenmore front loader has a "cleaning cycle". You run it with hot water and some bleach. I don't like using extra water and electricity to run the machine without cleaning anything. But I've kept the smell away for 3 months by keeping everything very dry.

When you finish the last load of laundry for the day, use a piece of terry towel to soak up any water that collects around the seal. Also dry standing water in the detergent dispenser. Then leave the door and the dispenser open so they'll dry out quickly. (01/19/2010)

By Elaress

Close up of empty front load washing machine with the door open
Front Loading Washer Smells Bad
Front Loading Washer
Buying a Front Loading Washer With Reversible Door
Front Loading Washer
Using a Front Loading Washer
View from inside of a front load washing machine of a man holding his nose.
Rotten Egg Smell in a Front Loading Washer
Washing Machine
Musty Smell in a Washing Machine
🎉
🎄