Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

We have a front loading LG washer and have had an odor like rotten eggs coming from the washer and our clothes. The manufacturer says to use the hot tub clean cycle.

We have tried bleach tablets from Home Depot, and I drain and clean the sump filter each month. After a couple of washings, the smell comes back.

We are fed up with the washer. Any help would be appreciated. I have heard of other loaders having the same problem with mildew, mold, and rotten egg smell.

By Allen from Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Answers:

Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

Can you use regular borax or washing soda, or even baking soda in a front loader? They can be fabulous deodorizers. If you are allowed to use them, I would try them first. I would put borax or baking soda (the packages have quantities) in every load and see if it helps.

Do you have well water? Well water is not generally chlorinated, which means it is faster to grow bacteria than "city" water that has been treated. If you have well water, you might talk to your well servicing company and find out if it would be worth it to install some sort of a treatment system that will put something into the water before it gets to your washer. (02/16/2010)

By Jilson

Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

One of my local TV stations just covered this issue during last night's newscast (though I watch a different station - they've been promoting the story over the last week.) http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/84516452.html

Quick notes from the article:
"A quick scrub in the bathtub can get rid of the nasty slime, but how do you prevent this from happening altogether? Jordan says more maintenance. "

" There are some things that you can do to keep mold from building up inside your machine. One is to keep the door open between loads. It's also important to use special detergent made for high efficiency machines and if you are having an odor problem it's recommended that you use a washing machine cleaner product at least once a month." (02/17/2010)

By COflower

Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

I own an LG and had the same problem. I stopped using liquid soap and only use HE powder and I haven't had this problem since. Initially, I did run a couple of loads using my dishwasher crystals and hot water to wash my throw-rugs. I leave the door and the soap dispenser drawer open between loads too. Good Luck! (02/19/2010)

By ddpmkrupa

Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

When I am finished with the laundry I put 1/4 cup white vinegar in the machine and leave the door open and it solved it for me. I also wash the rubber ring with a solution of bleach and water and an old rag every two weeks. Be sure the windows are open and you have your gloves on and wearing something old. (02/19/2010)

By rasta

Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

I live in south FL and have a front loader also. Make sure you use HE detergents, leave the washer door open and let it dry out before closing, periodically run a cycle using just bleach, and remember to wipe the seal on both sides with a bleach rag occasionally. (02/20/2010)

By PDG

Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

This worked for me: if your washer has a light bulb, remove the light bulb. After each wash load, leave the front door open, leave the detergent load area open (mine happens to be on top); after each wash load take washcloth/towel and swipe around the rubber gasket to soak up leftover water and leave the door open (that's why you take out the light bulb!) and let it air dry between wash loads. Yeah, I know, these machines are expensive and we shouldn't have to do those, but the energy savings are worth it! Good luck. (02/20/2010)

By ginblossom

Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

We have an LG front loader also; don't give up. I started leaving my washer open when I am not using it. I started doing that because I remembered that it is what laundromats do all the time: they leave the washers open to prevent odors and mold. You still have to do the draining thing, but try leaving it open to "air out." It really works! (02/21/2010)

By Pammy50

Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

I've always used plain, white vinegar to clean the "guts" of my washer (and my coffee pot!). The washer gets done about four times a year. Use almost a half gallon and pour it into the detergent spout and run the washer on the regular cycle. When it has completed the full cycle, run it again with plain water. The vinegar removes all the built up "yuckies" inside the "guts" of the machine. As for the coffee pot, I fill the pot with half vinegar and half water and run it through a regular brew cycle, sans filter. When done, run it through with plain water two or three times to remove any remaining vinegar odors. This cheap remedy works wonders! (02/26/2010)

By JoycieK

Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

I had the same problem over and over. It ended up being a sock stuck in the pump of front loading washer. Always wondered where those socks went? (03/04/2010)

By slufootsue

Front Load Washer Smells Terrible

We had the same problem when we first got ours. Like someone posted above, you must leave the door open between washings. The seal is so tight on the door it doesn't allow the washer to 'breathe.' (03/18/2010)

By jahummell

View from inside of a front load washing machine of a man holding his nose.
Rotten Egg Smell in a Front Loading Washer
view down into top load washer during wash cycle
Cleaning a Top Load Washing Machine
Front Loading Washer
Buying a Front Loading Washer With Reversible Door
Front Loading Washer
Using a Front Loading Washer
Front Load Washer
Front Load Washer Makes Noise During Final Rinse Cycle
🎉
🎄