Frugal Christmas Gifts for Teens

Category Gifts
Teenage boy holding rapped Christmas present in front of decorated tree
As children get older the cost of many gift ideas for them begins to increase. This is a guide about frugal Christmas gifts for teens.

Does anyone have any frugal Christmas gift ideas for me? I am already fretting about Christmas. I am a single mom with 2 teens on a disability income. Their father left me (after he went to business school) because of my disability. He has a super income now. I cannot compete. He gave our son a car for graduating and our daughter a lap top for her birthday.

So now any little thing I give them is nothing to them. I know gift cards and money would be options, but we never bought our kids. Sometimes I think its mostly his older girlfriend, but unsure. I just don't know any ideas right now. Back to school shopping was a disaster with my daughter (15) so now I am thinking Christmas will be the same! :(

Christine from MO

Best Answer

First of all, you need to be happy that the children's father is being a part of their life. Plus, how awesome that your son has a car and your daughter has her own laptop. A great deal of children have nothing. Stop trying to keep up with your ex, it is not a game. Loving them and raising responsible adults is the only thing that matters.

Look at all the positives in your life and your children's. Make a list of how the kids have improved your world. List all the memories of birthdays, vacations, school, activities, sports, organizations, time with extended family,etc. Make a journal and give it to them as a gift. Money can not buy things like that.

Make a picture scrap book for each child. Include their art work, report cards, etc. They will cherish it long after the purchased gifts have faded.

The best gift you can give your children is helping them make a Christmas gift for their father. Take time, effort, and thought with it. It will be a lesson learned by your kids that can never be forgotten. You will teach them that no matter what, whom, or how they decide to make things, people, and interests a part of their life: that since it is important to them, it is important to you.

Kids will forget about store bought presents. but they do not forget the ones that shape their world.

I'm on an extremely low income myself so I've come up with tons of ways to save. Find out what they want and go online to see what sorts of coupons you can find on the gifts. Also, don't forget about ebay...you can purchase a lot of items still new but much cheaper than retail. For a 15 year old girl think of jewlery that is in style...someting that will last forever. I'm assuming your son is around 18...on the bright side at that age expectations drop a little in general. There are a lot of cool things you can get for fairly cheap...think something cool for his vehicle possibly. I find sometimes a few cheap things make me just as happy as one big expensive thing.

When my daughter was 15 or so & every year after that, I would buy her a brown bag full of 2nd hand books. I picked these up at garage sales, the 2nd hand book store, etc. She always loves getting books.

In the end, the kids will remember the times you spent together & not the gifts. I've had some really fun Christmases when I was very broke & not too many gifts went under the tree.

I feel for you guys its tough buying stuff with little or no money heres an idea for ya the site is slickdeals dot net. I hope they don't boot me for this. They have everything on there; some free, some cheap, just great deals. God bless and good luck.