Frugal Entertaining Tips

Having guests over doesn't have to be an expensive proposition. Use these tips to help make your next gathering festive and frugal. This is a guide about frugal entertaining tips.

October 4, 2011 Flag

In my small community there are many traditions including having enough food for people that visited around a meal time. It was important to feed them, so this was done by taking out a few more things than was needed for our family. If the meal was made and someone came, my mom would quietly cut the servings of meat, fish, chicken or pork in half and add water to the gravy or soup. We all loved most company, so it was OK with the family to share.

When friends would stop by to talk due to some trouble or upset that needed another persons input, mom would have tea and a snack put on the table, then sit and listen. These snacks were made at baking time once a week - 1/3 would be put away for company.

I still do this. I have a few things in the cupboard that are easy to put on a nice plate and serve.

By Carolyn from Chilliwack, BC

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here:

What a lovely tradition this is. Your mother taught you to be generous, thoughtful and have a heart for others all by this one small thing. This truly touched me. Thank you.

Hey all! First I must say that I love this e magazine. It is so fun and good for the soul. I use the information when it comes through, but waiting for it sometimes kills me through my boss' angry stare. You know?

My mother would usually do that same thing. I do it now as well. I love to feed someone. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when company comes and I can feed them something fresh made or something that I have planned for dinner another night. There is nothing like matching up fish and chicken and fries or spaghetti sauce matched with pasta or tossed with a medley of vegetables and pasta, and maybe tuna fish stuffed into a red ripe garden tomato!! I mean my mother and I would never turn anyone away that was hungry.

My Dad liked it to as he always felt proud to bring home a guy from the office or the bar and there would always be a hot meal for them both before they were allowed to leave and go home. That was a double blessing to his wife. I figure that I would be out of bed anyway, I would feed her man so that he wouldn't have to wake her up when he arrived home hungry, and also it was a good way for my husband to show his respect for what I did. That is nice.

Well, just letting you know that providing for others is biblical in its beginnings. According to the Bible, you were supposed to never turn a visitor away hungry. Especially if it were a stranger. It could actually be our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I say carry On with your tradition. It is nice, easy and makes for a bunch of your husband's lunches if no one comes that day he will have the meal all over again for lunch. :Smile:

That was the case when I was growng up and in my household as well. Somehow the warm offering of cookies or cake and tea went out the window. If someone stopped by not to offer them a nibble of something was just bad manners. I traveled a long way on a trip and stopped to visit a friend on the way. They knew I was coming.

Visited for several hours and they never offered water. Finally the offered me some old fruitcake and punch. Mind you this was summertime. I left tired and hungry having to look for a hotel and a hot meal. That was a visit and trip to remember.

January 31, 2005 Flag

After 50+ yrs of marriage I am now a widow. How do I become a content and successful single? I need ideas for entertaining, travel, and meals.

Lady Bet

Best Answer

Check out your local senior center activities! I used to be a center director, and the services provided are amazing. Things like dance classes, lowcost lunches, health screenings and information, quilting groups, book clubs, special events, exercise classes. And it's all free or very low priced.

The best part is, you get to be around friendly, happy people your own age. I met some of the happiest people there.

Participate in their volunteer opportunities, too. You can answer phones, serve dinners, deliver meals to the homebound, or help with fundraising. All the volunteers I worked with said it was the best thing for their own health and attitude.

Thank you: Great ideas. I will start doing at least a couple today. Bet

I know of a lot of churches who would be glad for your help in serving the needy in their local soup kitchen. Working with the your city's local soup kitchen is an idea. Developing friendships with others helping the needy is such an encouragement. Also other areas of the church most prbably would be in need of your help.

My husband died 12-20-04. I am 58, we was 62. We had been married 37+ years. We never did anything alone, we were always together even the grocery shopping. He had been retired 7 years. Life was more than beautiful. Now I do not see how i can even life through today let alone tomorrow. Travel? Entertaining? Meals? (who can eat). I am puzzled with your whole question. Mine would be, how do I continue living.

January 5, 2007 Flag

If you have frequent visitors, keep a plain cheesecake or pound cake in the freezer to bring out for refreshments. No need to buy a can of pie filling for topping, unless you want to. We all have jams and jellies in the cabinet or refrigerator. Spoon out a few spoonfuls into a microwaveable cup. Lightly warm till it reaches a consistency that you can drizzle it over your dessert or on the sides or around the rim like some fancy restaurants do. No need for whipped cream and other garnishes, for a lasting remembrance of your get together.

What a nice, easy, smart idea.

February 17, 2009 Flag

Call a local technical college. If they offer a culinary class, they may make a cake or other dessert for you for a nominal fee or for free as practice for their students. My daughter wanted a "mad hatter" cake for her birthday. A mad hatter cake is a topsy turvy cake covered in fondant.

I called a local bakery and it was going to cost $150 for a very small two-tier cake. So I called the local technical college. The culinary class needed a cake decorating project and offered to do it for free.

Source: My sister's idea to call the college.

By Luv to Cook from NC

October 10, 2006 Flag

Would you love to throw a party, but you don't have enough nice serving dishes? Well here are a couple of low cost ideas.

First remember that serving dishes don't always have to match your dishes. Keep a look out for coordinating pieces that will match your dishes at thrift stores and yard sales. I found a bowl that matches, but it is too small so I pair it with a platter. Turn the bowl over and set the platter on top. This is where clear glass works well as it matches everything and the great thing is that you can buy clear glass trays and bowls at every thrift store in every part of the country for very cheap. Clear glass is great for partyware as it reflects the light from candles or twinkle lights set on a table. When searching your thrift store look for trays and bowls that are not dishwasher damaged, cracked, or chipped.

Large punch bowls can be used for potato salad or any large salad. Punch cups can be used for individual deserts or salads just think of the handles as a great place to put a bow or attach a spray of silk flowers.

All the party experts talk about setting tables with lifts and levels and I have a neat way of making footed serving dishes. While you are searching the thrift stores and yard sales keep your eyes open for tall clear glass vases. When you get them home match them up with some of your glass trays. You can start with a clear salad plate if you like. Turn it over so the bottom side is up and using clear silicone glue the vase turned upside down to the plate. Allow to dry, this should take 24 hours. Now take the glass tray and glue it to the bottom of the vase right side up. You now have an elevated serving piece. Depending on the size, you can put anything from snacks to sandwiches or a cake on it. You can also do this with a large brandy snifter and a small glass plate. Look around, vases and glasses come in all different sizes just let your imagination wander. These are not dishwasher safe so they will have to be hand washed, but people will be amazed when you tell them how you made them.

Always check the silverware bin at the thrift store, you will be amazed at all the large serving spoons and forks you will find there for just pennies. Look for pie servers, cake knifes, and salad tongs in the kitchen bin. I also pick up any silver plate I find as I can either set an eclectic table with mismatched patterns of silver plate or if the tines or bowls are pitted I can cut that part off with a hacksaw and bend the handle around to make neat napkin rings.

Have fun with it and I hope your next party is a big success.

By Debra In CO

Better Living Frugal LivingNovember 5, 2013
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
The Hollywood sign in Hollywood, California
Hollywood, California Frugal Travel Guide
Frugal Birthday Party
Frugal Party Locations
A young child counting coins.
Teaching Your Kids About Frugal Living