Frugal Entertaining Tips

Category Frugal Living
Having guests over doesn't have to be an expensive proposition. Use these tips to help make your next gathering festive and frugal. This is a guide about frugal entertaining tips.

In my small community there are many traditions including having enough food for people that visited around a meal time. It was important to feed them, so this was done by taking out a few more things than was needed for our family. If the meal was made and someone came, my mom would quietly cut the servings of meat, fish, chicken or pork in half and add water to the gravy or soup. We all loved most company, so it was OK with the family to share.

When friends would stop by to talk due to some trouble or upset that needed another persons input, mom would have tea and a snack put on the table, then sit and listen. These snacks were made at baking time once a week - 1/3 would be put away for company.

I still do this. I have a few things in the cupboard that are easy to put on a nice plate and serve.

By Carolyn from Chilliwack, BC

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Hey all! First I must say that I love this e magazine. It is so fun and good for the soul. I use the information when it comes through, but waiting for it sometimes kills me through my boss' angry stare. You know?

My mother would usually do that same thing. I do it now as well. I love to feed someone. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when company comes and I can feed them something fresh made or something that I have planned for dinner another night. There is nothing like matching up fish and chicken and fries or spaghetti sauce matched with pasta or tossed with a medley of vegetables and pasta, and maybe tuna fish stuffed into a red ripe garden tomato!! I mean my mother and I would never turn anyone away that was hungry.

My Dad liked it to as he always felt proud to bring home a guy from the office or the bar and there would always be a hot meal for them both before they were allowed to leave and go home. That was a double blessing to his wife. I figure that I would be out of bed anyway, I would feed her man so that he wouldn't have to wake her up when he arrived home hungry, and also it was a good way for my husband to show his respect for what I did. That is nice.

Well, just letting you know that providing for others is biblical in its beginnings. According to the Bible, you were supposed to never turn a visitor away hungry. Especially if it were a stranger. It could actually be our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I say carry On with your tradition. It is nice, easy and makes for a bunch of your husband's lunches if no one comes that day he will have the meal all over again for lunch. :Smile:

If you have frequent visitors, keep a plain cheesecake or pound cake in the freezer to bring out for refreshments. No need to buy a can of pie filling for topping, unless you want to. We all have jams and jellies in the cabinet or refrigerator. Spoon out a few spoonfuls into a microwaveable cup. Lightly warm till it reaches a consistency that you can drizzle it over your dessert or on the sides or around the rim like some fancy restaurants do. No need for whipped cream and other garnishes, for a lasting remembrance of your get together.

What a nice, easy, smart idea.

Call a local technical college. If they offer a culinary class, they may make a cake or other dessert for you for a nominal fee or for free as practice for their students. My daughter wanted a "mad hatter" cake for her birthday. A mad hatter cake is a topsy turvy cake covered in fondant.

I called a local bakery and it was going to cost $150 for a very small two-tier cake. So I called the local technical college. The culinary class needed a cake decorating project and offered to do it for free.

Source: My sister's idea to call the college.

By Luv to Cook from NC

Would you love to throw a party, but you don't have enough nice serving dishes? Well here are a couple of low cost ideas.

After 50+ yrs of marriage I am now a widow. How do I become a content and successful single? I need ideas for entertaining, travel, and meals.

Thanks,
Lady Bet

Best Answer

Check out your local senior center activities! I used to be a center director, and the services provided are amazing. Things like dance classes, lowcost lunches, health screenings and information, quilting groups, book clubs, special events, exercise classes. And it's all free or very low priced.

The best part is, you get to be around friendly, happy people your own age. I met some of the happiest people there.

Participate in their volunteer opportunities, too. You can answer phones, serve dinners, deliver meals to the homebound, or help with fundraising. All the volunteers I worked with said it was the best thing for their own health and attitude.

zballoongirl

Do the same things you used to do, except for the things you didn't really like. Then add some new things your partner didn't really like.

It's okay to go to movies and restaurants alone, by the way. Bring a book to read, a sketchbook, some needlework, or something else to keep you busy while waiting.

Taking up some (or more) volunteer work, taking an informal class, and visiting the library are good ways to find things to do. Also, check out the local tourist sites, surf the Web, or join a gym.

Keep inviting your friends to do things and answering their invitations. See if anyone is up for something extra.

Anonymous

Thank you: Great ideas. I will start doing at least a couple today. Bet

I know of a lot of churches who would be glad for your help in serving the needy in their local soup kitchen. Working with the your city's local soup kitchen is an idea. Developing friendships with others helping the needy is such an encouragement. Also other areas of the church most prbably would be in need of your help.

My husband died 12-20-04. I am 58, we was 62. We had been married 37+ years. We never did anything alone, we were always together even the grocery shopping. He had been retired 7 years. Life was more than beautiful. Now I do not see how i can even life through today let alone tomorrow. Travel? Entertaining? Meals? (who can eat). I am puzzled with your whole question. Mine would be, how do I continue living.

Check with your county: Some have local groups of seniors that get together once a month for a lunch. Then you meat new people. Some times the Library may have a senior get together also. The library also has videos you can get out and it does not cost anything, unless you forget to return them. Possibly some of the seniors that get together would enjoy having a movie at there home. People can take turns who entertains. There may be churches that have something your interested in also. Most counties have art groups, groups that do creative writing etc... Just a thought.