Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Frugal Entertaining Tips

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Chocolate cover strawberries, a great treat for frugal entertaining.

Having guests over doesn't have to be an expensive proposition. Use these tips to help make your next gathering festive and frugal. This is a guide about frugal entertaining tips.

Solutions: Frugal Entertaining Tips

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Article: My Frugal Life: Food Enough for Visitors

In my small community there are many traditions including having enough food for people that visited around a meal time. It was important to feed them, so this was done by taking out a few more things than was needed for our family. If the meal was made and someone came, my mom would quietly cut the servings of meat, fish, chicken or pork in half and add water to the gravy or soup. We all loved most company, so it was OK with the family to share.

When friends would stop by to talk due to some trouble or upset that needed another persons input, mom would have tea and a snack put on the table, then sit and listen. These snacks were made at baking time once a week - 1/3 would be put away for company.

I still do this. I have a few things in the cupboard that are easy to put on a nice plate and serve.

By Carolyn from Chilliwack, BC

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Tip: Free Cake from a Culinary Class

Call a local technical college. If they offer a culinary class, they may make a cake or other dessert for you for a nominal fee or for free as practice for their students. My daughter wanted a "mad hatter" cake for her birthday. A mad hatter cake is a topsy turvy cake covered in fondant.

I called a local bakery and it was going to cost $150 for a very small two-tier cake. So I called the local technical college. The culinary class needed a cake decorating project and offered to do it for free.

Source: My sister's idea to call the college.

By Luv to Cook from NC

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Frugal Entertaining Tips.

Question: Widow Looking For Advice On Entertaining, Travel and Meals

After 50+ yrs of marriage I am now a widow. How do I become a content and successful single? I need ideas for entertaining, travel, and meals.

Thanks,
Lady Bet

Best Answer

By Patty Zion02/01/2005

Check out your local senior center activities! I used to be a center director, and the services provided are amazing. Things like dance classes, lowcost lunches, health screenings and information, quilting groups, book clubs, special events, exercise classes. And it's all free or very low priced.

The best part is, you get to be around friendly, happy people your own age. I met some of the happiest people there.

Participate in their volunteer opportunities, too. You can answer phones, serve dinners, deliver meals to the homebound, or help with fundraising. All the volunteers I worked with said it was the best thing for their own health and attitude.

zballoongirl