Frugal Gifts For Neighbors

Category Gifts
Neighbors bringing cookies as a gift.
It is very thoughtful to give homemade or thoughtful purchased gifts to your neighbors during the holidays. This tradition can include those that have lived there a long time and the new family on the block. This is a guide about frugal gifts for neighbors.

I am looking for some good ideas for frugal neighbor gifts this year. I figure if anyone can help me, the thrifyfunners can! Thanks.

Kristie from Cleafield, UT

Best Answer

If you crochet you can make some crafts using plastic bags as yarn. I just made my dear neighbor a clothes pin bag. You can find the free pattern here > http://www.myre  clothes-pin-bag/ Dishcloths are really fun and quick projects too. I gave one neighbor a dishcloth last year with a jar of jam. I used the dishcloth as a "cover" over the top of the jar and secured it with a ribbon. Anyway that's a few ideas and I have many free patterns for other projects if you want to check out my blog site. Good luck!

Best Answer

My small drive has 7 families that have all lived here over 20 years, I think of all as family but when times are hard still felt the need to give. I purchased some inexpensive baskets and cookie tins at the thrift store. Since I bake and cook for days and days for my family I made several kinds of cookies and fudge, and also made apple butter from apples I picked in the wild and put in half pint jars or leftover {saved} jelly jars. With each family a sampler of cookies and a jar of apple butter tied with colorful saran and a bow. Everyone {especially the single men} really appreciates the surprise hanging on their door Christmas morning. Bless my husband for trudging through the snow to deliver!

Sometimes I get a $5 gift card to Blockbuster and tie it to a bag of microwave popcorn with raffia and put a nice handmade note that says - Have a Family Movie Night On Us! My neighbors seem to love it. Also, I have gotten the Dollar Tree big plastic bucket that looks like a popcorn bag and put microwave popcorn, candy and a movie rental coupon in it to make it a gift basket. These were a real hit.

Also, one year I did not give the adults anything. I gave all the kids at the beginning of the month a chocolate Advent calendar from Trader Joe's that were around $1.00. The kids loved it!

I always say cute crazy CHEAP! Banana Nut Bread Baked in a jar.

http://allrecip  -Jar/Detail.aspx

I made this last year, for $25 I made 12 gifts! The mason jars are $8-$10 for 12 jars (or more sometimes) Bake it let it cool. Place some holiday fabric on the top, tie with a ribbon, and BOOM Cheap cute and they think you spent a lot of time making them a beautiful gift!