Fruit and Yogurt Ice Cream Treat

Easy, refreshing, and will keep well in the freezer for about a week should you decide to double, triple, or quadruple the recipe ;-)

• 2/3 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 (10 oz.) package frozen berries or fruit
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 cup sugar

Directions:

Place one half of the yogurt in a blender, and while the processor is running slowly pour in the fruit and process until the fruit is roughly chopped. Add the rest of the yogurt, the vanilla and sugar, and process until all ingredients are mixed.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Uh, is this all or do you have to freeze it before eating?

I'm sure that this is delicious but how is this any different than just Breyers yogurt (or any yogurt) with fruit on bottom? Chopped frozen fruit with additional sugar is basically fruit preserves or jam, which is what most non-Swiss style fruit yogurts use. Many also have vanilla. In other words, wouldn't it be easier (and probably cheaper) to just open up a container of Breyer's yogurt? Freeze first if you want.

Update to my previous comment:

The major advantage to this recipe over simply buying fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt like Breyers is the ability to adjust the sweetness. You can even use artificial sweeteners, or substitutes like Agave syrup or stevia. But for most people, Breyers is more cost-effective, easier and just as good. And even more diverse, i.e. Breyers has flavors like boysenberry and cherry, which is not available frozen in my area.

I was going to use my yogurt & frozen fruit to make ice pops, but this sounds like a good treat too. I think I'll make this instead, but use agave instead of sugar. In fact, I think it would make a pretty good side dish for a meal, like a frozen fruit salad! Thanks Deeli!

Anonymous

creeker721, tasty both ways and just depends on whether you prefer a squishy slushy or firm formation. ;-)

bryguy69 and lyonpridej, I so very much appreciate your input about the type of sweetening that can be used because I hadn't even thought about that! :-o

Yes, a nice treat and even if it turns out that it's not cost effective in your personal circumstance, well, there's just something about homemade. :-) Oh, and you can purchase blueberries and cherries in season and freeze them yourself. Of course you'll want to pit the cherries first.

@deeli,

Well, I just tried your recipe and I must admit that it's better than Breyers! So I stand corrected. I'll use Breyers when I'm lazy but doing this from scratch gives me more control over the type of sweetener and how much, and control the chunkiness of the fruits. I'm gong to try honeydew melon because I've never seen a prepackaged melon yogurt before. Have a good Summer.

Lila, I'm going to make this today. I'm using Greek yogurt in your honor.