After watching the Oprah show when she had those really dirty homes inspected and things analyzed from their sinks and toilets, I have almost completely given up using a sponge to clean with. I have started using a washcloth. The smell is from having it in the dishwater with all of the different food and drink in there too. Try microwaving it every day for 90 seconds. That's what I did for years. (04/25/2005)
I use a sponge scrubber in my kitchen too. Bacteria is usually the cause of odors and sponges are the worst for collecting this. They have so many little wholes the germs can breed in. I run my sponges through the dishwasher every other day or so with the dishes. Usually adding a small scoop of baking soda along with the dish detergent. But I also spray it with white vinegar and nuke it for two minutes. That kills whatever bacteria has gotten into the sponge. I haven't had a problem with smelly sponges since I started doing this. I also rinse the sponge after each use so no soap remains in it. (04/25/2005)
I Googled for smelly sponges and got this http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&q=smelly%20sponges . One of them might help you.
I think Scotch-bright sponges may have some chemical in them that causes the really bad odor that persists even on your hands. To get rid of it do this: Soak the sponge in tap water and place it in a microwave safe bowl. Cover the bowl with a microwave safe plate to keep steam in. Microwave it on HIGH for 2 to 3 minutes. Let it rest for 2 minutes. Rinse sponge in cool water. It completely removes all odors, at least with blue Scotch-bright scrub sponges! (08/11/2007)
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!