Funny Odor On Sponge Scrubber

I have a request. I would like to know if anyone can tell me why my sponge scrubber gets a funny odor on it when it has been laying on my stainless steel sink. It is not a mildew or moldy smell. I have tried cleaning my sink with vinegar, Comet, brasso, and putting it in the dishwasher. The dishwasher will remove the smell for a little while, but the smell comes back. Any ideas?

Diane from Indiana

Answers:

Funny Odor On Sponge Scrubber

After watching the Oprah show when she had those really dirty homes inspected and things analyzed from their sinks and toilets, I have almost completely given up using a sponge to clean with. I have started using a washcloth. The smell is from having it in the dishwater with all of the different food and drink in there too. Try microwaving it every day for 90 seconds. That's what I did for years. (04/25/2005)

By acope

Funny Odor On Sponge Scrubber

I use a sponge scrubber in my kitchen too. Bacteria is usually the cause of odors and sponges are the worst for collecting this. They have so many little wholes the germs can breed in. I run my sponges through the dishwasher every other day or so with the dishes. Usually adding a small scoop of baking soda along with the dish detergent. But I also spray it with white vinegar and nuke it for two minutes. That kills whatever bacteria has gotten into the sponge. I haven't had a problem with smelly sponges since I started doing this. I also rinse the sponge after each use so no soap remains in it. (04/25/2005)

By grannyz

Funny Odor On Sponge Scrubber

I Googled for smelly sponges and got this http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&q=smelly%20sponges . One of them might help you.

(04/25/2005)

By creaky

Funny Odor On Sponge Scrubber

I think Scotch-bright sponges may have some chemical in them that causes the really bad odor that persists even on your hands. To get rid of it do this: Soak the sponge in tap water and place it in a microwave safe bowl. Cover the bowl with a microwave safe plate to keep steam in. Microwave it on HIGH for 2 to 3 minutes. Let it rest for 2 minutes. Rinse sponge in cool water. It completely removes all odors, at least with blue Scotch-bright scrub sponges! (08/11/2007)

By engineer_fixer

Removing Odor From Dish Sponge
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake Recipes
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Eggless Sponge Cake
Eggless Sponge Cake Recipes
Chocolate Sponge Cake
Chocolate Sponge Cake Recipes
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 22, 2016 at 1:01:16 PM on 10.0.1.51 in 933 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.