Furniture Repair: Upholstery Damage From Cats

My two adorable cats have used the sides of my couch and chair as a scatching post. Other than the frayed corners the furniture is in excellent condition. Any creative ideas as to how to repair those edges?

Susan1151

Answers:

You could put decorative fabric piping around the edges, I'd think. Does that seem like it would work? (09/19/2004)

By truleelee

If your couch sits close to the wall, then the back panel on the couch can be removed and used for visible repairs. You can use another piece of material that matches in similiar color to close the back. I have personally done this... it does work. (09/20/2004)

By Syd

I just bought a great sofa bed that was perfect for my extra room. However, it did have some cat scratches on it. Not very noticeable because the fabric is plaid but I want my furniture to look nice. so, I bought a bottle of fabric glue at the fabric store. I am hoping if I put it on lightly, it may make the fibers stick back on and never show. You might try this too. (10/17/2005)

By Pat

For a simple solution in avoiding upholstery damage by kitty, pick up the two sided tape pet centers sell (It works better than any carpet tape you can buy at home centers). The tape comes in strips, and is very sticky. It's not cheap, but well worth the price of around $11 per package. Use it on areas that are tempting. It's barely noticable and discourages kitty from using the furniture. Whenever an area seems to have gotten noticed by feline simply put a strip in that area.

My cat seems to have gotten the message and given up on the furniture. She 'gets it' that her scratcher is the only acceptable place to do her deed. By placing tape in strategic areas, and not having to cover every stitch of furniture in it, appears to be discouragement enough from going any further with clawing. It's been a year since any new incident. The tape stays on, however, just in case. We all know cats! (03/24/2008)

By JakiS

Brown Fabric Upholstery on Couch
Repairing Fabric Upholstery
damaged fabric on couch
Repairing a Cat Scratched Couch
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
Blue Chairs and Table on Patio
Repairing Patio Furniture
Hand holding a smoking cigarette.
Cleaning Nicotine from Wood Furniture
🎉
🎄
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on December 8, 2016 at 6:04:39 PM on 10.0.1.111 in 965 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.