GFCI Outlets Not Working

Category Electrical
If your Ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlet is not working, you may need to contact an electrician to repair it. This is a guide about GFCI outlets not working.

GFCI Outlet

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Determining the cause of a malfunctioning GFCI outlet may require some sleuthing. This is a guide about GFCI outlet keeps tripping.

The lights in my kitchen are working, but the GFCI doesn't. I tried to reset the breakers, but still no power in the kitchen outlets. What can it be?

By Eddie H.

Best Answer

GFCI receptacles can be daisy chained to standard receptacles and protect them the same as a GFCI (if installed correctly). The standard receptacles should be labelled as GFCI protected. The first receptacle in the daisy chain must be the GFCI type and the reset button on that receptacle should restore power. Unplug everything in the area before resetting, because an appliance could have a GFCI fault and immediatley retrip your attempt at resetting. If this does not work. The first receptacle in the chain will probably need to be replaced.

I have a GFCI kitchen outlet that water got into and was tripped. It is connected to 3 other kitchen outlets that are not working as a result of the water. My husband replaced the GFCI outlet (a green light is on), but none of the outlets will work. Does anyone have suggestions. Thank you.

By Sharon

Did you also check the breaker box as well?

A kitchen outlet was changed to a surge protection outlet with light indicator by a licensed electrician less than a year ago. The outlet will not work and the light indicator is still on. I hit the test and reset and finally the light went back on, but trying to use a toaster or electric can opener on this outlet will not work still. Could it be the circuit breaker even though the light indicator is on? I hate to have to shut off all the breakers and put it all back on due to it not being labeled. Could a wire inside have gotten loose? Any idea? I would hate to get charged a lot again when I had this done recently. I remember the electrician said it is tight in this box. Thanks

By Barbara

My gfci outlet is not working. The the top button is not tripped, the light is off and reset button will not work. It is only 1 year one old and installed by an electrician. Any ideas?

By Mary B.