Garage Door Remote Opener Not Working

You press the button and your garage remote doesn't work. This is a frustrating situation and one that is not always easy to diagnose. This is a guide about garage door remote opener not working.

Filter Sort

Question: Sears Garage Door Keypads and Remote Don't Work

By cinman655 1

I have 2 separate units for my 2 garage doors. When we both left the house I closed my side with the car homelink (which worked perfectly). My husband closed his with the handheld remote which also worked perfectly. When he returned home before me, he hit his remote and it did not work. He tried the button for my side and that did not work either. Then he tried to get in through both of the keypads and neither one on either side worked.

When I came home my homelink didn't work. What could cause everything to fail at the same time? When we tried to reprogram the keypad on my side it would not work. We tried to reprogram the remote on the one side and it started to open both doors. Then it wouldn't open either door and then it only opened my door. Then it went back to opening both doors simultaneously and then randomly stopped. We never even got to the learn button on the second unit because nothing made any sense. The Homelink in my car won't reprogram and the keypad won't either? What can we do? I have tried to reprogram everything based on the instructions that have always previously worked.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: LED Bulbs Interfere with Garage Door Remote Signal

By GaryB 1

Background: I was frustrated with how frequently I was replacing the incandescent light bulbs in my garage door opener, so I invested in two new IKEA LED bulbs. All of my family members began noticing that their remotes could open the door from down the block, but wouldn't close it unless they were nearly in the garage.

Project: I replaced the batteries in the remotes, replaced both safety sensors on the sides of the door, realigned them perfectly, adjusted the up and down forced and travel limits only to find it didn't help.

Solution: After reading an earlier post about a flickering fluorescent bulb in the garage, I immediately went out and replaced both IKEA bulbs with conventional incandescent bulbs and the problem is solved! The LED bulbs when lit were interfering with the remote signal. DO USE LED BULBS IN YOUR GARAGE DOOR OPENER.

I hope this is helpful. Thank you.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Trouble Reprogramming Craftsman Garage Door Remotes

By Chuck sears 1

I have a Craftsman remote control garage door opener. I replaced the battery and when I try to program my remote controls I can only program one remote. Prior to changing the battery both remote controls worked.

I have followed the instructions to reprogram the remote, but I am only able to reprogram one remote. Both remotes where working okay before I changed the battery, but I can't get both remotes to work now. There does not seem to be a problem with the remotes, because I have programed each one of them separately and it works. I just can't get both to work as they did before the battery change. Does anyone have any advise on this issue?

By Chuck

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By john l 3 Flag

I had same problem with my remotes I could get one to program but I couldn't get them all to program. So I thought maybe I'm getting some noise or something from another electronic device that's causing interference so the first thing I thought of was my wifi on my computer. So I decided to turn it off and try to program the remotes. They all programed fine.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Remote Garage Door Opener Not Working

By gotta fixit 1

I have a Sears garage door and after setting the car remote opener the hand held does not work. The second garage opens with both (the car and the hand held). How can I reprogram without canceling the car controlled opener? Thanks for your help.

By Gotta Fixit from NY

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Ce 4 120 Flag

You must reprogram your hand held remote. First get the car out of the garage. Then get a ladder and position it under the motor of the garage door opener. There should be a little black button on the motor which is the learn button. It may be near the light bulb or on the side or back of the motor. After you locate the learn button push it in and while the light above the learn button is blinking point and press the button on your hand held remote. Once the light stops blinking (on the learn button) your hand held opener should work.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Garage Door Remote Timing Out

My Craftsman model 139.53673SRT3 garage door opener was working 100%, but recently developed an unusual problem. The remote works correctly, except it will not work while the unit lamp is on. Once the 4.5 minutes have timed out the remote works perfectly. So when I open the garage door with the remote, I have to wait the 4.5 minutes to close the door with the remote. Any suggestions?

By Jim Z

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By loungingbear 1 Flag

Had the same problem. I had a fluorescent bulb that was flickering. I unscrewed it and the remotes worked fine. Not sure why a bad bulb was causing the problem.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Hand Remote Won't Close Garage Door

I can open the garage door with the hand remote, but when I come to close it with the hand remote, it does not work. I can only close it from the inside of the garage with the controls on the wall. How can I figure out what is wrong? My model is 182665 1/2 HP Whisper Drive.

By Diane

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

Check to see if your remote has a battery. If it does, it may need replacing.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Sears Garage Door Remote Won't Open Door

By John Gordon H. 1

I have a double garage, each with a 2003 Sears opener. Prior to going away for 9 months, both remotes worked on the doors. Now, I cannot get one of the remotes to work on the second door. I tried both remotes on the one door and I am able to get both to function on one door. However, I cannot get either to function on the second door. The door functions manually, but not with the remote. Any suggestions? Thanks.

By John from Memramcook, New Brunswick, Canada

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Matthew M. 1 Flag

I found that the issue was resolved by reprogramming both remotes based on the manufacturers instructions. On my Sears model, the instructions are listed on the transmitter (the door motor). It is a little confusing because the instructions seemed to imply that you should hold both remote buttons at the same time, but this is not the case. Instead, you hold the "learner" (the one on the motor) button until it flashes and then release, then hold the transmitter button (the one on the remote) until the garage light flashes. After doing this for both of my remotes, both ended up working.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Garage Door Remotes Don't Work

By Dien 1

My garage door opener can not be closed or open with either the portable or keypad remotes. The problem is intermittent and it fails most of the time. I have removed the fluorescent light. I also cleaned the control board with electrical cleaning solvent. The direct opener button works fine.

By the way, how do I open the keypad on the keypad remote? I'm able to unscrew the bottom screw to the wall, but the top one requires removing the keypad to access the screw.

Thanks for any advice.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jeanie 3 Flag

replace batteries

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Garage Door Remote Not Working

My remote has seemed at bit slow for the past month or so. I would shake it and it would work. Today it won't work at all. I replaced the battery, but still won't work. It is a Skylink and it came with the home I purchased 5 1/2 years ago.

By Nell D.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,354 Flag

Yiou can check the online manufacturer's website for customer assistance.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Garage Door Opener Remote Trouble

My Craftsman door remote will not open the garage door from any distance other than 4 feet. The door operates fine with the manual wall switch. It just doesn't work with the remote, if you are farther than 4 feet from it.

By Ken D.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Doreen Howard 1 5 Flag

Did you check the battery. Could be dead.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Remote Garage Door Opener Won't Close Door

My remote will open the door, but it will not close it. Also, the wall switch must be held down to close the door.

By Leon from Oneonta, NY

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Garage Opener Remote Not Working

I bought a new garage opener remote and I set it up, but it doesn't work.

By Roger from St. Charles, MO

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Carol L Craig 21 71 Flag

You have to open the new remote up and see what numbers they have it coded. Write them down. Then you have to get on a ladder and go to the part of the garage door opener that is on the ceiling on the inside of your garage.

Take the cover off and make sure that it is coded the same exact numbers as your remote is coded. When both parts (the remote and the interior of your garage) are coded the same numbers it should work.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Garage Door Remotes Stopped Working

I have a Craftsman remote control garage door opener. The are 4 remotes (one for each car + the keypad remote fastened to the outside of garage frame). All four stopped working on the same day.

I replaced the batteries and when I try to program my remote controls the circuit board does not accept any of the remotes. I installed two new boards, both with the same results. The direct wired push button inside the garage always works, but none of the remotes do. Can someone "zap" the remotes like a neighbor with a grudge to cancel them out? I have not replaced the remotes, but I think that should be my next step. It's kind of weird that all four remotes stop working on the same day and the new control boards offer no help.

By Troy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By john l 3 Flag

Turn off your router on your computer you might be getting noise thats interfearing with the programing.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Garage Remotes Not Working Properly

By angila sutton 1

My garage remotes do not work when the light is on. After the 4.5 minutes and the light goes off it will work! Someone posted to change the bulb because it could be a lead bulb that is flickering! Are they talking about the garage fulorescent lighting with the 2 fluorescent bulbs or are they talking about the 4.5 min light to the garage system? I changed the one in the system, but not in my garage because they are very high up. The opener on the wall works just fine.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Garage Door Opener Programming Issue

By Barry Hankerson 1

Every time I program my garage door opener it doesn't work for long. It doesn't matter if it's the car's remote or a universal, they never seem to hold. What's wrong with them or the opener?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Garage Door Remote Quit Working

By 'fritz 1

My Craftsman garage door opener remote quit working. I replaced the batteries and tried to relearn the remote. It says to push button and when it starts blinking to then
            push remote button while it is blinking. My problem is when I push the button it does
            not blink, but just stays on steady for a minute or two and goes out. Why can't I relearn the remote? Is it possible new batteries could be bad? Any help would be
            appreciated. The unit operates perfectly with the wall unit. There are no batteries in the wall unit, but it is wired and the light stays lit. I bought a new Craftsman remote today and tried to relearn the new remote, but it does not program either.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Reprogramming a Garage Door Remote

We just bought a new house and not long after we had some electrical storms. That maybe relevant, I don't know. We have 4 Aprimatic TR2 remotes which operate an electric gate on one button and the other button operates a Merlin 430r garage door. The gate still works, but the garage door doesn't on any of the four remotes.

I googled Merlin 430r, etc. and learned that to program my remotes I need to press the "learn" button. Well this I can not find. My 430r does not have the green strip which hides the learn button as indicated on all the 430r's I've looked at even on eBay.

To operate mine manually it has a red switch on the side to press and also a tiny button underneath marked manual control which you also can press. While I've been looking for this "learn" button I found the original Merlin remote which operates the door fine. I'm no electrical wiz and don't want to lose the front gate operation. Please help if you can. Cheers.

By Brad W.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Garage Door Opener Not Working

My keyless pad on the outside of the garage wasn't working. I took it off the wall to check on it and now the hand held I keep in the car won't work. What can I do. I do feel like I need a new keyless pad.

By Judy S.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Programming a Garage Door Remote

I have 2 doors and two working remotes. I bought a third remote and tried to program it.
              It is programmed, but both doors work simultaneously; not separately. What am I doing wrong?

By Dave V

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Garage Door Remote Intermittent

My garage door opener will work from upstairs in the house, but it will not work from outside.

By Joyce B

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Garage Door Remotes Not Working Properly

We have two openers and two doors. for the past year there are times when neither one will open with the remotes or the keypad. We push the buttons over and over. Sometimes it will eventually open and sometimes it won't. We are thinking some kind of electrical interference but how do we figure it out? The batteries have been changed in everything and reprogrammed.

By Terry D.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Garage Door Opener Not Working Properly

My garage door openers keep needing to be paired to the control. The keypad works fine. I replaced the batteries in both remotes. I can pair them and they work for about a week and then I have to pair them again. What could be causing this?

By Lisa

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

I recently had a garage door replaced. After they left, I found that the remote opener and Homelink on my car stopped working on the garage door next to it. The company says it is nothing to do with the installation. Coincidence? sabotage?

By Mike P from Portland, OR

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Remote Won't Close Garage Door

I have followed the instructions in programming the remote. It works to open the door, but not to close the door. Help!

By Ben

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Hand Held Garage Door Opener Not Working

I recently bought and installed a keypad garage door opener. It works fine, however my hand held now does not work. When I reprogram it, it renders the keypad useless. How can I program both to work?

By Dave B from Columbus, OH

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Garage Door Remote Opener
              Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousMay 20, 2013
              ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
              Universal Remote
              Programming a Universal Remote
              Remote Car Alarm
              Using a Remote Car Alarm
              Garage Door Opener
              Reusing a Garage Door Opener
              Remote Control on White Background
              Cleaning a Remote Control
              © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 12, 2016 at 10:57:00 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
              NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
              Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
              BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
              CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings