Garage Door Remote Opener Not Working

You press the button and your garage remote doesn't work. This is a frustrating situation and one that is not always easy to diagnose. This is a guide about garage door remote opener not working.

February 7, 2015 Flag

Background: I was frustrated with how frequently I was replacing the incandescent light bulbs in my garage door opener, so I invested in two new IKEA LED bulbs. All of my family members began noticing that their remotes could open the door from down the block, but wouldn't close it unless they were nearly in the garage.

Project: I replaced the batteries in the remotes, replaced both safety sensors on the sides of the door, realigned them perfectly, adjusted the up and down forced and travel limits only to find it didn't help.

Solution: After reading an earlier post about a flickering fluorescent bulb in the garage, I immediately went out and replaced both IKEA bulbs with conventional incandescent bulbs and the problem is solved! The LED bulbs when lit were interfering with the remote signal. DO USE LED BULBS IN YOUR GARAGE DOOR OPENER.

I hope this is helpful. Thank you.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do or do not use LED light bulbs?

I use Philip LEDs instead Sunbeam and it works now

Read More Comments...

November 15, 2014 Flag

My remote will open the door, but it will not close it. Also, the wall switch must be held down to close the door.

By Leon from Oneonta, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes it opens with remote but won't close

I have the same problem!

February 2, 2016 Flag

I have 2 separate units for my 2 garage doors. When we both left the house I closed my side with the car homelink (which worked perfectly). My husband closed his with the handheld remote which also worked perfectly. When he returned home before me, he hit his remote and it did not work. He tried the button for my side and that did not work either. Then he tried to get in through both of the keypads and neither one on either side worked.

When I came home my homelink didn't work. What could cause everything to fail at the same time? When we tried to reprogram the keypad on my side it would not work. We tried to reprogram the remote on the one side and it started to open both doors. Then it wouldn't open either door and then it only opened my door. Then it went back to opening both doors simultaneously and then randomly stopped. We never even got to the learn button on the second unit because nothing made any sense. The Homelink in my car won't reprogram and the keypad won't either? What can we do? I have tried to reprogram everything based on the instructions that have always previously worked.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have contacted the manufacturer when I had similar problems and they walked me through getting everything to work. Good luck.

November 24, 2014 Flag

My Craftsman door remote will not open the garage door from any distance other than 4 feet. The door operates fine with the manual wall switch. It just doesn't work with the remote, if you are farther than 4 feet from it.

By Ken D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Did you check the battery. Could be dead.

Yes they only work up close same with keyless entry pad

I have 3 remotes. Each remote will work at times. I have reprogramed each remote and they still work at times. I changed the batteries, and and bought a new one. Any ideas?

November 18, 2014 Flag

My Craftsman model 139.53673SRT3 garage door opener was working 100%, but recently developed an unusual problem. The remote works correctly, except it will not work while the unit lamp is on. Once the 4.5 minutes have timed out the remote works perfectly. So when I open the garage door with the remote, I have to wait the 4.5 minutes to close the door with the remote. Any suggestions?

By Jim Z

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Did you ever figure out the issue with your Craftsman? I have been experiencing the same exact issue with the remotes not working when the light is on. I figured out one way to cheat the system by turning off the light from the keypad before leaving the garage then the remote will work.

That worked perfectly for both of my remotes for a few months. Lately though one of my remotes stopped working completely even after changing the battery and reprogramming several times.

The second remote works about 70% of the time when using the method described above but then it will just stop working and have to be reprogrammed.

Not sure what else to try so was wondering if you had any success figuring out the issue...

Had the same problem. I had a fluorescent bulb that was flickering. I unscrewed it and the remotes worked fine. Not sure why a bad bulb was causing the problem.

Having same problem, going to check bulbs now,standby

November 8, 2014 Flag

I can open the garage door with the hand remote, but when I come to close it with the hand remote, it does not work. I can only close it from the inside of the garage with the controls on the wall. How can I figure out what is wrong? My model is 182665 1/2 HP Whisper Drive.

By Diane

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check to see if your remote has a battery. If it does, it may need replacing.

November 3, 2015 Flag

My garage door opener can not be closed or open with either the portable or keypad remotes. The problem is intermittent and it fails most of the time. I have removed the fluorescent light. I also cleaned the control board with electrical cleaning solvent. The direct opener button works fine.

By the way, how do I open the keypad on the keypad remote? I'm able to unscrew the bottom screw to the wall, but the top one requires removing the keypad to access the screw.

Thanks for any advice.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

replace batteries

December 30, 2014 Flag

My remote has seemed at bit slow for the past month or so. I would shake it and it would work. Today it won't work at all. I replaced the battery, but still won't work. It is a Skylink and it came with the home I purchased 5 1/2 years ago.

By Nell D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yiou can check the online manufacturer's website for customer assistance.

October 21, 2009 Flag

I have a Sears garage door and after setting the car remote opener the hand held does not work. The second garage opens with both (the car and the hand held). How can I reprogram without canceling the car controlled opener? Thanks for your help.

By Gotta Fixit from NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Open up your hand held remote and you will see numbers from zero through 9. Now get up on a ladder and open up your overhead mechanism and you will see another gizmo with numbers from zero through 9. both the remote and the overhead gizmo must be programmed with the same exact numbers. After you have changed both to read the same your garage door opener should work fine.

Before you go reprogramming, check to make sure that there is not an obstruction for the electric eye. If there is a spider web, or a leaf or something, it may prevent the beam from allowing passage. That will prevent the door from working.

You must reprogram your hand held remote. First get the car out of the garage. Then get a ladder and position it under the motor of the garage door opener. There should be a little black button on the motor which is the learn button. It may be near the light bulb or on the side or back of the motor. After you locate the learn button push it in and while the light above the learn button is blinking point and press the button on your hand held remote. Once the light stops blinking (on the learn button) your hand held opener should work.

Where is the battery in remote located

Read More Answers...

October 29, 2014 Flag

I bought a new garage opener remote and I set it up, but it doesn't work.

By Roger from St. Charles, MO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You have to open the new remote up and see what numbers they have it coded. Write them down. Then you have to get on a ladder and go to the part of the garage door opener that is on the ceiling on the inside of your garage.

Take the cover off and make sure that it is coded the same exact numbers as your remote is coded. When both parts (the remote and the interior of your garage) are coded the same numbers it should work.

December 10, 2009 Flag

I have a Craftsman remote control garage door opener. I replaced the battery and when I try to program my remote controls I can only program one remote. Prior to changing the battery both remote controls worked.

I have followed the instructions to reprogram the remote, but I am only able to reprogram one remote. Both remotes where working okay before I changed the battery, but I can't get both remotes to work now. There does not seem to be a problem with the remotes, because I have programed each one of them separately and it works. I just can't get both to work as they did before the battery change. Does anyone have any advise on this issue?

By Chuck

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I suggest calling a garage door company, preferably the one who installed it. If it's Craftsman, I am assuming that would be Sears.

I'm having the same problem. Anybody have a solution that does not invlove making a service call?

Its sounds weird but I turned off my router on my computer and all my remotes programmed fine.

I had same problem with my remotes I could get one to program but I couldn't get them all to program. So I thought maybe I'm getting some noise or something from another electronic device that's causing interference so the first thing I thought of was my wifi on my computer. So I decided to turn it off and try to program the remotes. They all programed fine.

Read More Answers...

October 4, 2011 Flag

I have a double garage, each with a 2003 Sears opener. Prior to going away for 9 months, both remotes worked on the doors. Now, I cannot get one of the remotes to work on the second door. I tried both remotes on the one door and I am able to get both to function on one door. However, I cannot get either to function on the second door. The door functions manually, but not with the remote. Any suggestions? Thanks.

By John from Memramcook, New Brunswick, Canada

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't have a sears garage door opener but do have a fairly new one with remotes. The remote died on me and I found out that inside the remote is a battery and it was dead. I replaced the battery and voila, works fine. You might try that. Hope this helps. Packlestax

I found that the issue was resolved by reprogramming both remotes based on the manufacturers instructions. On my Sears model, the instructions are listed on the transmitter (the door motor). It is a little confusing because the instructions seemed to imply that you should hold both remote buttons at the same time, but this is not the case. Instead, you hold the "learner" (the one on the motor) button until it flashes and then release, then hold the transmitter button (the one on the remote) until the garage light flashes. After doing this for both of my remotes, both ended up working.

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousMay 20, 2013
Universal Remote
Programming a Universal Remote
Remote Car Alarm
Using a Remote Car Alarm
Garage Door Opener
Reusing a Garage Door Opener
Remote Control on White Background
Cleaning a Remote Control
🎉
🎄