Browsing: Garage Door Remote Opener Not Working

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Garage Door Remote Opener Not Working

You press the button and your garage remote doesn't work. This is a frustrating situation and one that is not always easy to diagnose. This is a guide about garage door remote opener not working.

Garage Door Remote Opener
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 7, 2015 Flag

Background: I was frustrated with how frequently I was replacing the incandescent light bulbs in my garage door opener, so I invested in two new IKEA LED bulbs. All of my family members began noticing that their remotes could open the door from down the block, but wouldn't close it unless they were nearly in the garage.

Project: I replaced the batteries in the remotes, replaced both safety sensors on the sides of the door, realigned them perfectly, adjusted the up and down forced and travel limits only to find it didn't help.

Solution: After reading an earlier post about a flickering fluorescent bulb in the garage, I immediately went out and replaced both IKEA bulbs with conventional incandescent bulbs and the problem is solved! The LED bulbs when lit were interfering with the remote signal. DO USE LED BULBS IN YOUR GARAGE DOOR OPENER.

I hope this is helpful. Thank you.

November 15, 2014 Flag

My remote will open the door, but it will not close it. Also, the wall switch must be held down to close the door.

By Leon from Oneonta, NY

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes it opens with remote but won't close

I have the same problem!

February 2, 2016 Flag

I have 2 separate units for my 2 garage doors. When we both left the house I closed my side with the car homelink (which worked perfectly). My husband closed his with the handheld remote which also worked perfectly. When he returned home before me, he hit his remote and it did not work. He tried the button for my side and that did not work either. Then he tried to get in through both of the keypads and neither one on either side worked.

When I came home my homelink didn't work. What could cause everything to fail at the same time? When we tried to reprogram the keypad on my side it would not work. We tried to reprogram the remote on the one side and it started to open both doors. Then it wouldn't open either door and then it only opened my door. Then it went back to opening both doors simultaneously and then randomly stopped. We never even got to the learn button on the second unit because nothing made any sense. The Homelink in my car won't reprogram and the keypad won't either? What can we do? I have tried to reprogram everything based on the instructions that have always previously worked.

I have contacted the manufacturer when I had similar problems and they walked me through getting everything to work. Good luck.

November 24, 2014 Flag

My Craftsman door remote will not open the garage door from any distance other than 4 feet. The door operates fine with the manual wall switch. It just doesn't work with the remote, if you are farther than 4 feet from it.

By Ken D.

Did you check the battery. Could be dead.

Yes they only work up close same with keyless entry pad

I have 3 remotes. Each remote will work at times. I have reprogramed each remote and they still work at times. I changed the batteries, and and bought a new one. Any ideas?

November 18, 2014 Flag

My Craftsman model 139.53673SRT3 garage door opener was working 100%, but recently developed an unusual problem. The remote works correctly, except it will not work while the unit lamp is on. Once the 4.5 minutes have timed out the remote works perfectly. So when I open the garage door with the remote, I have to wait the 4.5 minutes to close the door with the remote. Any suggestions?

By Jim Z

Did you ever figure out the issue with your Craftsman? I have been experiencing the same exact issue with the remotes not working when the light is on. I figured out one way to cheat the system by turning off the light from the keypad before leaving the garage then the remote will work.

That worked perfectly for both of my remotes for a few months. Lately though one of my remotes stopped working completely even after changing the battery and reprogramming several times.

The second remote works about 70% of the time when using the method described above but then it will just stop working and have to be reprogrammed.

Not sure what else to try so was wondering if you had any success figuring out the issue...

Had the same problem. I had a fluorescent bulb that was flickering. I unscrewed it and the remotes worked fine. Not sure why a bad bulb was causing the problem.

Having same problem, going to check bulbs now,standby

November 3, 2015 Flag

My garage door opener can not be closed or open with either the portable or keypad remotes. The problem is intermittent and it fails most of the time. I have removed the fluorescent light. I also cleaned the control board with electrical cleaning solvent. The direct opener button works fine.

By the way, how do I open the keypad on the keypad remote? I'm able to unscrew the bottom screw to the wall, but the top one requires removing the keypad to access the screw.

Thanks for any advice.

replace batteries

November 8, 2014 Flag

I can open the garage door with the hand remote, but when I come to close it with the hand remote, it does not work. I can only close it from the inside of the garage with the controls on the wall. How can I figure out what is wrong? My model is 182665 1/2 HP Whisper Drive.

By Diane

Check to see if your remote has a battery. If it does, it may need replacing.

December 30, 2014 Flag

My remote has seemed at bit slow for the past month or so. I would shake it and it would work. Today it won't work at all. I replaced the battery, but still won't work. It is a Skylink and it came with the home I purchased 5 1/2 years ago.

By Nell D.

Yiou can check the online manufacturer's website for customer assistance.

October 29, 2014 Flag

I bought a new garage opener remote and I set it up, but it doesn't work.

By Roger from St. Charles, MO

You have to open the new remote up and see what numbers they have it coded. Write them down. Then you have to get on a ladder and go to the part of the garage door opener that is on the ceiling on the inside of your garage.

Take the cover off and make sure that it is coded the same exact numbers as your remote is coded. When both parts (the remote and the interior of your garage) are coded the same numbers it should work.

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousMay 20, 2013
Universal Remote
Programming a Universal Remote
Remote Car Alarm
Using a Remote Car Alarm
Garage Door Opener
Reusing a Garage Door Opener
Remote Control on White Background
Cleaning a Remote Control
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 26, 2016 at 10:32:20 PM on 10.0.1.26 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.