Garden Bird Photos

Category Garden
The beauty of our feathered friends in the garden is rewarding to capture in a snapshot.This page contains garden bird photos.

I would like to hear what people in other parts of the country are seeing at their bird feeders. Since the winter finches are making a southerly push this fall, there may be some interesting birds showing up at your feeders. Some of the birds to look out for will be pine siskins, red and white-winged crossbills, Bohemian waxwings, common and hoary redpolls, red-breasted nuthatches, maybe some others.

Larry from Saint Joseph, MO

This Christmas morning there was a pretty good showing of various birds at our backyard bird feeders.

American Goldfinches

Dark-eyed Juncos

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Brown Creeper (in trees near the feeders)

Downy Woodpeckers

Carolina Wren

House Finches

European Starlings (in trees near the feeders)

Pine Siskin (1) on niger seed sock with the goldfinches

Black-capped Chickadees

Red-breasted Nuthatches (2)

House Sparrows

Northern Flicker

Northern Cardinals

Blue Jay

White-breasted Nuthatch

and

a fly over Red-tailed Hawk

Today, the day after Christmas, we had seven PINE SISKINS show up at our backyard feeding station. They were congregating with the American Goldfinches on the niger seed, sock feeder.

Two RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES continue to be daily visitors to our peanut feeder.

Here is a photo of one of the two Carolina Wrens we have coming to the peanut feeder we have on our feeding station.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
I'll have to step back into the last century to get a quip that will adequately describe this little fella. I'm sure most of you have never heard it, maybe Litter Gitter and cybergrannie. As Little Jimmy Dickens said thousands of times, 'I'm little, but I'm loud'.

This loudmouth is in my back yard all spring, summer, and fall, every year. He sings the same few notes, very loudly, hundreds of times a day, every day from sun up til sun down. I hear another wren returning each and every call. (Well, that's what I use to think till I found out there is actually only one House Wren. Somehow, it's all done with mirrors).

His wardrobe is a bit drab; but here, as he caught the beginning rays of dusk, the acute angle set his feathers ablaze. I believe the proper name for this color combination is 'Bittersweet'

And so is my side of our relationship. He is an adorable creature, for sure. And he is very sweet, but such a loudmouth. We all know somebody just like that, don't we? It's OK. I'll take the bitter with the sweet.

Comment Like this photo? 6

I know what you are talking about. We have one of those that perches close to us and does his call. He is a loud one.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Usually, I have trouble photographing in full sun. I don't have filters, and without them, everything takes on a washed out effect.

For reasons I can't explain (I wish I could), today I took pictures in full evening sun that were not washed out. In fact, they were better than most taken in indirect sunlight.

The subjects are some of those I've posted pictures of before. But with the sun casting a fiery glow on them and still getting crisp pictures, I thought they would be good for posting.

The first picture is of a female house finch.
The second is of a male house finch.
The third is of a female mourning dove and a female house finch.

I hope you like them.

Comment Like this photo? 2

Nice photos but I like the dove and finch the best. I have lots of both but cannot remember seeing them together. This one goes in my "keeper" photos.

Thanks for taking time to share.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Photo Description
I caught a pair of gray catbirds gathering nest building materials. Both gather materials, while the female builds the nest. The male can be distinguished here by the reddish patch at the rump.

These birds will hang very close to humans. They will gaze at you as if trying to communicate something. I believe they are. I find these birds extremely intelligent. This couple has already been eyeing my strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries. The nest will be located close to this food supply, some of it still a good two months away.

If there is the smallest access hole anywhere in a mass of netting, these birds will search diligently til they find it. Outsmarting them is a challenge!

What are they communicating? Maybe, 'I'm watching you watch me. And the moment your back is turned, I'll find a way through that net. Nice of you to help me hone my skills, Sucka!'.

All in all, they're nice to have around.

Comment Like this photo? 4

Nice photos - I have always thought that many animals are thinking about our actions and would communicate if they could. My birds will always let me know if their favorite bird feeders are empty and I believe they understand when they are in a very safe area. One of my wrens has built her nest in a straw filled basket on my back porch and I feel sure she thinks I put it there just for her.

My "bucket list" has a few items about traveling to some of the open zoos where the animals are free to roam in their manmade natural habitat and my final wish for "my reward" in the hereafter is to be able to work with animals and plants.

Thanks again for a very pleasant read and lovely photos.

Betty

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Chickadee at Feeder - bird on wood feeder

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

Shades of W.C. Fields, 'It's my little Chickadee'! I have seen pictures of chickadees eating from people's hands. To be able to have one of these beautiful creatures eating from my hand would keep me on cloud nine for weeks.

Rose Breasted Grosbeak

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 12

I was standing at my patio door trying to get a picture of a Baltimore Oriole that I could hear in my backyard when this little guy landed on the back of one of my patio chairs. This is a Rose Breasted Grosbeak.

Gold Finches

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

I have had to stop feeding all the birds for now as the cow birds were taking over and coming in droves and hogging the feeders. They don't care for thistle nor do the other birds, but I love watching the gold finches and they are at the feeder most all day.

Pileated woodpecker on tree stump.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

I snapped this photo of a pileated woodpecker pecking at a fresh tree stump in my neighbor's yard.

hummingbird on Wire Near Feeder

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

We have several hummingbird feeders around the yard and Path Garden. This is at the front door where we can see this little guy standing "guard " over his own personal buffet.

Large Towhee Sitting on Fence Post

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

I took this digital photo this afternoon in the garden here near the patio. The bird was sitting on the fence, and had been in the tomato garden earlier when I was out there.

blue jays on picnic table

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

These two local blue jay's visit my picnic table bird feeder daily. I took an old picnic table and turned it into a feast table for the birds. I only lay a few handfuls a day for the local birds to eat.

bird at feeder

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

A new bird in the neighborhood: Rose Breasted Grosbeak.

many birds in a tree

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

I looked out the window and saw a flock of birds had landed in a small tree. I had no idea they would blend in with the leaves but I liked the effect.