Garden Bird Photos

Category Garden
The beauty of our feathered friends in the garden is rewarding to capture in a snapshot.This page contains garden bird photos.

I would like to hear what people in other parts of the country are seeing at their bird feeders. Since the winter finches are making a southerly push this fall, there may be some interesting birds showing up at your feeders. Some of the birds to look out for will be pine siskins, red and white-winged crossbills, Bohemian waxwings, common and hoary redpolls, red-breasted nuthatches, maybe some others.

Larry from Saint Joseph, MO

Here is a Blue Jay getting a little bit of breakfast from the peanut feeder.

So far this morning we have had fourteen (14) species visit.

This Christmas morning there was a pretty good showing of various birds at our backyard bird feeders.

American Goldfinches

Dark-eyed Juncos

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Brown Creeper (in trees near the feeders)

Downy Woodpeckers

Carolina Wren

House Finches

European Starlings (in trees near the feeders)

Pine Siskin (1) on niger seed sock with the goldfinches

Black-capped Chickadees

Red-breasted Nuthatches (2)

House Sparrows

Northern Flicker

Northern Cardinals

Blue Jay

White-breasted Nuthatch

and

a fly over Red-tailed Hawk

Today, the day after Christmas, we had seven PINE SISKINS show up at our backyard feeding station. They were congregating with the American Goldfinches on the niger seed, sock feeder.

Two RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES continue to be daily visitors to our peanut feeder.

Here is a photo of one of the two Carolina Wrens we have coming to the peanut feeder we have on our feeding station.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
I'll have to step back into the last century to get a quip that will adequately describe this little fella. I'm sure most of you have never heard it, maybe Litter Gitter and cybergrannie. As Little Jimmy Dickens said thousands of times, 'I'm little, but I'm loud'.

This loudmouth is in my back yard all spring, summer, and fall, every year. He sings the same few notes, very loudly, hundreds of times a day, every day from sun up til sun down. I hear another wren returning each and every call. (Well, that's what I use to think till I found out there is actually only one House Wren. Somehow, it's all done with mirrors).

His wardrobe is a bit drab; but here, as he caught the beginning rays of dusk, the acute angle set his feathers ablaze. I believe the proper name for this color combination is 'Bittersweet'

And so is my side of our relationship. He is an adorable creature, for sure. And he is very sweet, but such a loudmouth. We all know somebody just like that, don't we? It's OK. I'll take the bitter with the sweet.

Comment Like this photo? 6

I know what you are talking about. We have one of those that perches close to us and does his call. He is a loud one.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Photo Description
Shades of W.C. Fields, 'It's my little Chickadee'!

I have seen pictures of chickadees eating from people's hands. All I can say is, 'You can have your Indy 500, your Grand Funk Railroad live, and your Macy's on Black Friday. To be able to have one of these beautiful creatures eating from my hand would keep me on cloud nine for weeks.'

Cloud nine? I wonder if that's one of those Nimble Columbus type clouds?

Comment Like this photo? 3

How cute is this? One of my teachers used to call me her little chickadee. I never even looked into what one looks like. This makes me happy.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Rose Breasted Grosbeak

I was standing at my patio door trying to get a picture of a Baltimore Oriole that I could hear in my backyard when this little guy landed on the back of one of my patio chairs. This is a Rose Breasted Grosbeak.

Gold Finches

I have had to stop feeding all the birds for now as the cow birds were taking over and coming in droves and hogging the feeders. They don't care for thistle nor do the other birds, but I love watching the gold finches and they are at the feeder most all day.

Pileated woodpecker on tree stump.

I snapped this photo of a pileated woodpecker pecking at a fresh tree stump in my neighbor's yard.

hummingbird on Wire Near Feeder

We have several hummingbird feeders around the yard and Path Garden. This is at the front door where we can see this little guy standing "guard " over his own personal buffet.

Large Towhee Sitting on Fence Post

I took this digital photo this afternoon in the garden here near the patio. The bird was sitting on the fence, and had been in the tomato garden earlier when I was out there.

blue jays on picnic table

These two local blue jay's visit my picnic table bird feeder daily. I took an old picnic table and turned it into a feast table for the birds. I only lay a few handfuls a day for the local birds to eat.

bird at feeder

A new bird in the neighborhood: Rose Breasted Grosbeak.

many birds in a tree

I looked out the window and saw a flock of birds had landed in a small tree. I had no idea they would blend in with the leaves but I liked the effect.