Garden: Secret Friends

It was a beautiful sunny, spring day and our 4 year old granddaughter was visiting us, when she saw butterflies outside in our garden. I took that opportunity to play with her a little (you see, I make custom fairies). I said, "Did you know that fairies and butterflies are secret friends?", and told her to come and tell us when she sees the next butterfly outside.

Well, she kept looking for a butterfly to appear. After some time, she comes running into the house yelling, "Grandpa, Grandpa, I see a butterfly." I told her to quickly come into the house and I can take the fairy outside so the butterfly can play with her.

My wife kept her distracted so she wouldn't look outside. Then I took a fake butterfly, tied it to a branch with a fishing string, and held the fairy next to it. Took a picture of them together, uploaded and printed out the photo from the computer.

I then showed her the image of them together and told her "See, butterflies and fairies are secret friends, and love to play with each other when they think no one is watching." So we should always get along with everyone too, even when no one else is watching". The look on her face when she saw the photo was priceless. Who knows folks, one day when she is grown, I may tell her the real story and have a great laugh.

So next time you see a butterfly on a sunny spring day, think of this and smile. Just maybe butterflies can see fairies, but we just grown too old to fantasize and can't see the secret enchanted world of our youth anymore.

By artwest-1 from Seattle, WA

I really enjoyed your story. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Not to sound gross, did you know that pet urine/stool attracts butterflies? especially the yellow swallow tail kinds. we even keep our yard clean. It is awesome to see whole group of them together flying all over everywhere though. God is great!

How wonderful. Wish our great granddaughter could have that experience.

Because she adores butterflies so much, a couple of years ago her grandma got a butterfly kit for her (She is now seven). And when the painted lady butterflies emerged and ready to be released she thought they would come back to their home. She cried when they flew away.

Always wanting to help on The Path Garden. Yesterday we planted pumpkins for Halloween. GG Vi

My grand daughter comments every time she sees a butterfly in the garden, that it's her Granda or uncle James; come back to see if we are all o.k. Super x

Photos GardenMay 28, 2011
Santa and his bag whispering hush.
Keeping Christmas Gifts a Secret
book safe with money inside
Making a Secret Book Safe
Uses for Pencil Erasers
Uses for Pencil Erasers
Hushing Santa
Secret Santa Ideas
🎄
🍂