Wildflower Garden Photos

Category Garden
A field of wildflowers.
Whether you planted the flowers or they seeded themselves in your garden, wildflowers in bloom are naturally beautiful. This page contains wildflower garden photos.

I thought this was a pretty sight when I woke up this morning, despite the work ahead. We have just gotten back from a three day weekend late yesterday. We mowed early last week, but it definitely needs it again. Dandelions, clover, and these unidentified tiny pink flowers have been growing the whole time.

I hand pull the clover and other creeping weeds and pop the dandelions out by the root, but it is a thankless task. We have a field across the street so it is practically impossible to control them in my yard without chemicals. I'd rather have the weeds.

Update: The small purple flowers are Erodium moschatum, also called filaree. My photographer husband took a better picture to show the detail. Much better than mine. :)

These are wild flowers I planted this summer. I was so pleasantly surprised at how beautiful they were! My new puppy loved them too, which is why I had to build the beautiful wood fence to keep him out!

By Cathryn from Kamloops, BC

This is a guide about growing wildflowers. Growing wildflowers is very easy. Spread the seeds where you want and they will grow.

Growing Wildflowers

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I tossed a handful of wildflower seeds and got these tall fragile looking flowers. They are pretty sturdy, I like them, what are they?

Hardiness Zone: 4b

Linda from Bellevue, NE

These are called Cosmos

i think they are cosmos which come in pinks and reds mostly.

They are Cosmos, very easy to grow, they are suppose to be annuals, but I had them return the second year.

These are Cosmos, but I don't know if they are annuals or perrenials. As blooms begin to fade you can dead head them and more blooming will occur. When they go to seed you can save some in a paper bag for next year, or you can try & reseed this year. Scratch fresh dirt, lay out seeds & gently push into the soil-do not cover. If annuals pull out after 1st frost & plant from seeds in the spring.

Yup, they are cosmos, but they also come in white with the leaves like the picture you ghave. There is another variety that is of a yellow and orange mix.

After the flower head die back, you can either pinch them back or let them seed. Their seeds are slender and dark.

Beautiful flowers, they are one of my husband's favorites, he has his own little plot with just cosmos in it next to our rose.

Thanks for the replies! Now I know!

They have now come up with one called "Chocolate" Cosmo . I have seen it at Do It Center once. I love these . I have had a couple of seeds grow into plants(the lavender and the white ones) that grew past the roofline a few years ago..GG Vi

Fabulous flower! Originally wild, now cultivated and sold as plants as well as seeds. There are many varieties... ranging in all shades of white, pink to maroon and then some. There is a shell variety where the petals are curved, there is a shredded variety, there is a double variety. Love them all... Hope you do. They look lovely in your garden.

They are indeed Cosmos. My dearly loved late mother-in-law had a beautiful garden full of them. They are actually annuals, but will self-seed themselves if you let them go to seed. If you leave them alone, they will come back every year, and spread.

cosmos

These are "Cosmos'. They are oh so pretty. One year I had some that was "real tall".

Cosmos daisies

When my kids were little they always wanted to pick bouquets for me, so I let them pick the Cosmos. It. made my kids happy. It gave us a lovely bouquet for the dinner table, and by picking them the plants made more flowers.

If you plant these close to a window you can watch the goldfinch birds. They like to eat the seeds.

I was prepared to tell you that the lovely plants are Cosmos. Then I looked down the page to find that many had already helped and told you the same. Members are definitely helpful and knowledgable about their plants/flowers and a whole lot more. Have a great day!

Yep everyone is right; they are cosmos. It is a flower I can remember from my childhood. We would remove the petals and "moisten" them and use them as artificial fingernails. Now, how's that for a memory of cosmos? I love 'em! and they are a sturdy flower; just sit there and wave in the wind!

Alex VA

Look like Cosmos to me.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
While driving to work one day years ago, I noticed these beautiful flowers were growing on the side of the road. I watched for them for months to go to seed so I could stop and "borrow" a few. I planted them in a sunny spot and eventually they grew and bloomed beautifully! I can't wait to see them again this summer!

Photo Location
Tabernacle, NJ

Comment Like this photo? 5

I just cut these wildflowers and roses this morning, Friday, July 23, 2010. They are from my miniature rose garden in my front yard. The Wildflowers are from my hummingbird garden in our back yard.

I just cannot seem to stop buying flowers. As a matter of fact I just purchased some more marigolds and yellow daisies yesterday. It's difficult to keep them alive and well with the 100+ degree temperatures here in St. Louis, Missouri lately. I check on my plants every morning - that's the coolest time of day.

By Darlene

Comment Like this photo? 3

I was so happy to find that wildflowers are so easy to grow in our area which is northeastern Tennessee. I received a sample packet from a wildflower nursery online and put them out in the garden in my concrete stones. They grew sooo wonderfully and better yet, they reseed themselves, I am so proud of them.

The morning glories did kind of strangle them, but they still pretty much held their own. I have no idea what kind they are, but I have tons of seeds for next year. The wildflowers needed a kind of stake or fence as you can see, they are falling over so I put a couple of containers to hold them up.

Does anyone else on here have a garden with wildflowers in it? The last photo is of Phoenix the Rooster standing on his cushion near where his Green Bean garden is. :)

Here is one such place that sells wildflowers and I am going to order some next spring (http://sunlightgardens.com/). In the meantime, I am going to store the seeds, along with the morning glory seeds I will store also.

The wildflower seeds were very beautiful when they were in bloom but I only have photos of them now, due to our weird weather over here!

By Robyn F. from Tennessee

Comment Like this photo? 1

Garden: Suburban Wildflowers

Here in the suburbs of NYC, we have no sidewalks, but, must maintain the area. This year, rather than keeping it clear, I decided to try to a wildflower garden. It's a 100 feet of amazing delight. All the neighbors and those just in passing, would get their cameras out and take a shot of my experiment.

By Sandra from Montvale, NJ

Answers:

Garden: Suburban Wildflowers

This looks amazing. What was there before you planted the flowers? Was it grass? Here in Winnipeg, Canada we have our lawn, then a sidewalk, then a 4 foot wide strip of city owned grass that we have to maintain, then the road. Flowers would look so much prettier than a strip of grass that people let their dogs use as a bathroom! (12/03/2009)

By catastrofy

Garden: Suburban Wildflowers

What a wonderful idea. Hope it will catch on! You should be so proud of yourself. Banty (01/12/2010)

By banty