Gardening: Grow Larger Rose Blooms With Banana Peels

Larger Rose Blooms With Banana Peels

I have roses growing on my back fence. Year before last my flowers were nice but small. Last year I remembered my grandmother adding banana peels in the dirt around her flowers. So early in the spring, I dug a trench around my bushes and buried banana peels about 6 to 8 inches from the plants. My flowers were much larger than before, and bloomed for a longer period.

By Sharon from Van Buren, AR

Answers:

I just had to comment on this - in the movie, "Seven Pounds" w/Will Smith, he told the lady in the movie to do this very thing! Of course in the movie it worked (LOL!), but to hear it in 'real life' is pretty coincidental! Your roses look great - wonder does that work with the planting of all flowers (?) I'm a huge geranium fan, plant them every year and wonder would it have the same effect? (02/17/2009)

By nardog

They are gorgeous and yes it does work! I go to the local market and buy bananas off of their sale table. I cut up the entire banana and put it in the dirt around my roses a couple of times a year. If you have old bananas you can freeze them until it is time to do the gardening, then just thaw them out and cut them up and dig them into the dirt. (02/17/2009)

By florida gal

I tried this along with egg shells, coffee grounds and left over coffee, also banana peels. I put it all on my hollyhocks. Oh my, they grew taller than my house and the flowers were huge! You must try it for yourself. You can mix it all together and spread on any plants you like. Let us know how it works for you. (02/17/2009)

By scarlettr

Besides the added minerals, the organic material helps amend the soil. Bananas are known to attract earthworms, which aerate the soil and add castings to it. (02/18/2009)

By susanmajp

Roses apparently need potassium, which bananas are a good source of. (02/21/2009)

By louel53

Well, bananas, like other vegetation turn into compose. Any plant life would do the same as the bananas. One could start a compost pile and use the compost for any plant they are growing. (02/11/2010)

By foxrun41

I think these tips are really good. I will definitely try some and let you know how they go. (02/11/2010)

By irisheyes

I love this. It's nice and easy. I'm going to have to give it a try. (02/11/2010)

By jtithof

Love it. Will try it in the spring. (02/11/2010)

By Allison5

Close up of a pile of banana peels
Using Banana Peels When Growing Roses
Rose Bush
Rose Bush Never Blooms
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed
Sliced banana bread on a cutting board.
Freezing Banana Bread
Banana Peel
Uses for Banana Peels
🎉
🎄