Gas Smell in a Car's Trunk

Category Odors
An empty trunk of a car.
If you have spilled some gas in your car's trunk, it can be difficult to eliminate the odor. This is a guide about gas smell in car's trunk.

How do you remove gasoline smell from the trunk of a car?

By Rafael from NYC, NY

Best Answer

Hi,

I saw this tip once for a lady who had spilled a gallon of milk in the trunk. She was told to buy a bag of charcoal briquettes for the grill (the kind without lighter fluid), lay the bag in the trunk and split it open on top side. She said that leaving that in there for a while absorbed all of the smell and totally got rid of it. Hope this works for gasoline too!

Anne

How do I get the smell of gasoline out of the metal in my car trunk after the carpet is out?

By Marg

Any ideas?

I also have gasoline smell in back of my van from a spill. How do I get it out?

Anonymous

I spilled gasoline on the the floor of my car how do I avoid the gasoline and get rid of the smell

While filling our car with gas the automatic shut-off malfunctioned and we got a few gallons of gasoline all over, with quite a bit of it going into the trunk. That soaked all the liners and pads. I've washed and rinsed everything, but the gas odor is still there. Apparently the sound-deadening pads, along with the adhesive holding them, soaked up more of the gasoline than I could wash out.

I'm looking for a product, dry or liquid, that I can use to clean and/or absorb the rest of the gasoline. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

By Tom from Minneapolis, MN

Feedback:

Ideas

Perhaps you could try using vinegar and leave the trunk open and in the sun. Cat litter, baking soda and charcoal are supposed to help with odors too. You could also try a full service car wash center -- they may be able to help you get it out or give you some suggestions. Good luck! (03/29/2010)

By kitkatk100

I spilled golf cart gasoline in the trunk of my car. I removed the mat and used baking soda, but it still smells. I am now becoming sick from the fumes. Please help, what can I do to removes the gas from the back of my car?

Mandy from Orange County, CA

Feedback:

Charcoal

Just a quick idea, you could try putting some charcoal in the trunk and letting it sit for a few days. This was the only thing that worked for us when milk spilled and soured in our car. Good luck.

By Diane

Bar of Soap

Try placing a bar of soap in the trunk. I got egged once and a bar of soap (I used Ivory) eliminated the odor over night. A kid at a used car lot told me about the soap. I keep a bar under my seat all the time now, keeps the car fresher then the fresheners that have perfume. I've told friends and they've had success with a variety of odors. Good luck.

By Dan

Odorzout

There is a product called Odorzout that is granular that you sprinkle on and then let sit for a few weeks then vacuum out. It is worth the cost. But for a cheaper version you might want to first try kitty litter, the plain clay kind and work it in to the fibers really well. Let sit a week or so then vacuum.

Odorzout at Amazon

By Jooniper