Gas Smell on Clothing

How do you get gasoline off clothes?

Teresa from Cincinnati, OH

Answers:

Gas Smell on Clothing

I had this happen once and I added Febreze to the laundry! (01/07/2007)

By justathought

Gas Smell on Clothing

I used vinegar. It not only gets the smell out but whitens up your whites and makes your colored clothes even brighter. Use about a cup per washload.
Hope this helps. (01/08/2007)

By Star

Gas Smell on Clothing

Putting clothes with gas on them in the washing machine only makes things worse - including the washing machine. Instead hang them outside for a couple days while the gas evaporates, then wash them. I didn't need to use vinegar or anything after hanging clothes outside.
(10/21/2007)

Gas Smell on Clothing

Perfect solution. Dawn Direct Foam, apple vinegar, and two cans beer.

• set water level to medium
  • add six squirts of Dawn
  • add 2 cups apple cider vinegar (smells nicer than other vinegar)
  • run normal cycle
  • drink the two beers

Then you are back to playing with engines! (02/08/2008)

By nab

Gas Smell on Clothing

I tried everything listed on here for getting gasoline out of my jeans. None of it worked until I took a friend's advice and used cotton balls dipped in pure vanilla extract. I let the cotton swabs sit on the clothing for about an hour and the smell was finally gone. (03/01/2008)

By Jamie

Gasoline smell in washer

I heard that if you have the gasoline smell in your washer after washing clothes with gas on them, use baby oil in the machine with some old rags and wash. The smell is gone, I also ran the washer empty with detergent once before I washed in it again. (04/19/2008)

By Gramma Sam

Gas Smell on Clothing

I had this problem, too. I washed the clothes several times with vinegar or baking soda or both, to no avail. I searched the internet and found a lady who soaked the clothes in Coke Classic and baking soda. I soaked my clothes in the sink with 2 20 oz bottles of Coke Classic, a whole box of baking soda, and cold water for almost 48 hours. Then I washed all of the clothes one last time. And it worked! I was very skeptical at first but that Coke did the trick. Make sure it doesn't smell like gas when you put it in the dryer! (05/18/2008)

Gas Smell on Clothing

I got gasoline on my denim skirt while filling up my car. Washed it several times in washer, and the smell would not come out. Found this website and tried some of the suggestions found here. Soaked my denim skirt in a mixture of Coke and vinegar overnight and then washed in washer. The smell did not come out. Then I tried the M30 hand cleaner from Dollar General, as someone suggested. I put three huge tablespoons full in with my detergent and washed as usual. It took the smell right out. The M30 cost only a dollar plus tax. Hopefully I won't get gasoline on my clothes again, but if I do I know exactly what to use. (05/26/2008)

By Motorcycle Mama

Gas Smell on Clothing

Got an involuntary gasoline shower at the gas station when the nozzle slipped out of my hands and the lever locked it into the on position. Tried the water, Coke, and baking soda soak over night and my clothes smell great! No smell at all! Cleaned my leather shoes with Simple Green concentrate and a cloth and they smell fine too. Yeah! I highly recommend it. (12/18/2008)

By Jennygirl

Gas Smell on Clothing

If none of these work for you, call your local Home Extension Agency (part of your county government). They are there to answer just this sort of question.

I had a similar problem years ago and my home extension agent told me to wash with a big name detergent such as Surf or Tide, (and now they also have the Febreze additives to remove smell) with a cup of white vinegar. First, do a soak cycle, then wash and rinse, then wash a second time and then line dry. The line drying is an important step, as the air drying helps to dissipate the fumes! Good luck! And remember, if all else fails, call you home extension agency. (02/18/2009)

By bailegirl

pumping gas
Cleaning Gasoline Smell From Clothing
Woman at Gas Station
Gas Station Tips and Tricks
Gas Log Fireplace
Gas Log Tips
Buying Gas
Buying Gas Jokes
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
🎉
🎄