Gas Stops With a Long Travel Trailer

I have a 34' camper that we're looking to take from Michigan to South Carolina. We've planned an overnight stay at a campsite in Nashville the first night and plan to be at a state park in SC the following day.

I'm pretty much a newbie having never gone out of state with our camper. I was wondering how difficult is it to have to stop for gas along the highway and does anyone have any tips for doing so?

I've owned camper's before, but this one is the longest I've owned and I've only had it for a year. I have this nightmare of trying to wiggle into a gas station, having a hard time maneuvering around pumps and traffic and not being able to back up if I need to because of the sway bar. I've been told it will crimp if you do.

Thanks!

The major problem with long trailers is that they are loooooong, as you note. On all major highways in the nation you will find large and well designed facilities for gas, etc., for large trucks and long trailers as well as cars. You should not worry about refueling on the major roads, however, this can be a problem away from the freeways. You can find much more information and ask questions online regarding RV travel, facilities, RV parks, repair, etc. A few of my favorites are rv.net, rveducation.com, frugal-rv-travel.com.

Have a great trip!

An addition to my prior reply-make it a rule that you stop for gas when your gauge hits 1/4, no less. Unless you are very familiar with the area, it is safer to buy gas sooner, even for a bit more $$, than risk being out of gas in an unknown area. Also, we always travel with well researched plans, destinations, travel and RV insurance, emergency road service, etc., and the best resource to start planning is your computer.

Sorry, I keep thinking about your driving plans-from your information, it appears you plan to drive two days with one overnite stop? If so, you have alot of driving to do in a limited time-approximately 500+ miles each day for apprx 1000 one way. 500+ miles driving is a very long day-apprx 10 hours each day not counting stops. This will be difficult, very tiring, and possibly dangerous, especially for a first time long drive with your long and heavy trailer. If you include kids, much worse. I suggest you try to cover the distance with a three day drive and two overnites-6-7 hours drive each day. Much Safer!

I just recently traveled with my son to off-road competitions through Canada, Idaho, and into California. He was hauling his off-road truck on a long flat deck trailer, and had to choose his gas stations carefully. When you travel on the interstates, you will likely have no trouble finding gas stations that are convenient to use, but you may have to pass some by. Flying J truck stops are always convenient. In Canada, the provinces we drove through are farming and ranching areas, and have lots of tourists pulling boats and camper trailers, etc. We do not have interstates such as you do in the US, but even on the less traveled highways, there was seldom a problem. You will want to look for truck stops, and always travel on the top half of your tank! Fuel up well before you are desperate for fuel.

We also have a 34', but ours is a fifth wheel. Getting gas can be an adventure. We buy a book called "Next Exit" that has all stops along interstates by exit and has RV friendly stops in red. This is helpful but not foolproof. Not all truckstops have RV friendly gas islands. We have also had RV friendly gas stops that were a nightmare of backing out. But the Next Exit is helpful.

Camping With Travel Trailer
Traveling With a Camper or Trailer
Travel and Recreation TravelJuly 16, 2015
Sky Blue Retro Travel Trailer 3
Buying a Used Travel Trailer
Family in Car Leaving in Winter
Saving Money on Holiday Travel
Business Travel Tips, Business Woman on Laptop in Airport
Business Travel Tips
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 23, 2017 at 8:11:52 AM on 10.0.1.200 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.