Gasoline Smell on Leather

My fiance spilled some gasoline on his leather briefcase. It smells awful. He tried Armor All to clean it but it didn't help. Does anyone know of a way to clean this up and get the smell out without damaging the leather? Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Sandy from Kenner, LA

Answers:

Gasoline Smell on Leather

I have used sliced potatoes. For some reason they soak up the smell. It works every time I get gas for the lawnmower and it spills on the carpet in my car. I have also heard that kitty litter will do the same thing. Hope this helps.

I'm willing to bet that the reason you can't get the smell out is that the petroleum product has soaked farther into the padding and upholstery than you have successfully cleaned. Water won't do it, because you're working with an oil and need to use something that is a grease dissolver. My grandfather (the mechanic) used this: Soak the area thoroughly with a mixture of 1-2 cups plain white vinegar mixed in 1 gallon warm as you can stand water, then use lots of clean white towels and a brick, clamp or something else to add weight (your own tired arms will do, too) to wick out all of the petroleum and water solution. Follow with a rinse of warm water mixed with baking soda (1 1/2 cups per gallon), then again wick out until as dry as you can get it. You will probably be best served to use something warm to dry the rest of the upholstery, so it doesn't mildew. (06/25/2008)

By Mythi

Gasoline Smell on Leather

I used to take care of salt water reef aquariums. I would make this product take raises the minerals & carbonates in the water for the corals. Well, I had a bottle of this in the car one day & went to get gas. The stupid gas nozzle over-flowed all over my hand. If you've ever gotten gas on your hand, you know how hard it is to get off & not smell anymore. I hate the smell of gas. Well, I took some of this thing for the aquarium & poured some on my fingers & rubbed it in a little, and immediately rinsed it off with my water bottle, then dried. It was amazing. No oil, no gas, no smell, my hand was clean. You can get something similar, I think. It's called KH Builder. Mix a real strong solution of it & shake it well, many times, then let it settle. Try putting a small amount in a hidden place & rinse well with fresh water. Let it dry & see if it works & doesn't bleach it out. Don't let it set on the leather, rinse within a minute or so.
Hope this helps. (06/26/2008)

By Chris T

Gasoline Smell on Leather

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer. I will try some of these. Anything smells better than gas--I guess! (06/26/2008)

By Nolasandy

Gasoline Smell on Leather
Disposing of Old Gasoline, Red gas can.
Disposing of Old Gasoline
new leather chair
Smell from New Leather Furniture
Wooden bookshelf.
Removing Gasoline Smell from Wood Furniture
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
🎄