Get Two Uses From Your Celery

When purchasing celery, I try to get one that is quite fresh with a good solid base. At home, cut off about 2-3 inches of base of celery. Place this in a bowl with water up about an inch, set on windowsill. Keep the water refreshed every couple of days and soon root sprouts will start to show. When enough for planting put into soil or plant outdoors in garden if summer. This way you get at least two uses from the same purchase, your taking advantage of a recyclable item, and if you want you can let it grow till the size required for kitchen needs or just leave it as it makes for a nice plant.

One interesting thing I have found in doing this is the difference of purchasing celery that is just regular or organic. Interestingly the stem that was organic its water stayed cleaner and fresher whereas the regular insecticides does get brownish and will spoil quickly if not refreshed soon enough. I found this very interesting and certainly answered a lot of my questions concerning the stuff that they spray on our foods and put into our livestock!

Source: I started doing this about 30 years ago when life was at best frugal. Even then though I started teaching my children the benefits of organic gardening and preserving and reusing wherever possible.

By Esther from Yellowknife, NT, Canada

Answers:

Get Two Uses From Your Celery

Wow, Thanks for the Celery information. I knew you could plant the root end of green onions, but wasn't aware you could do it with Celery. I'll try this with my next purchase. (08/16/2008)

By Danialle

Get Two Uses From Your Celery

That is great to know! I don't often use celery, but when I do, I'll give this a try. If nothing else it will provide healthy, pesticide free greens for my little flock of pet birds (08/16/2008)

By chriself

Get Two Uses From Your Celery

Thanks for the great tip. I love to see things grow and will definitely try this great idea. I also wanted to share my celery use tip with you! I cut the stalks off for eating and take the bottom, usually about 3" thick, and use it to make the most beautiful cabbage roses, just dip lightly in your favorite rose colored folk art paint or paints, your choice, and press onto surface to make beautiful roses. We did our kick boards on the staircase in our dining room. They really are pretty. Natalie from SK Canada (08/25/2008)

By Nallorey

Get Two Uses From Your Celery

EXCELLENT! Thank you for this wise gardening tip! (09/05/2008)

By Pat Magroine

Get Two Uses From Your Celery
Windowsill Celery Hearts
Growing Windowsill Celery Hearts
Two Ingredient Cake
Two Ingredient Cake Recipes
Limp Celery
Reviving Limp Celery
Celery new growth
Growing Celery
🎉
🎄