Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

It is me again, this time I got bleach on my nice light blue and white stripe shirt. Do you know how to get it out. I was trying to fix a shirt that I messed up when it happened. Thanks.

Meredith from Louisiana

Answers:

Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

Bleach is a permanent color remover. There is really no way to restore color to a place that has been bleached except dye the whole shirt. (08/28/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Bleach stains on colored clothing

Find a crayon to match the color needing to be redyed. Color over the spot. Use an old cotton rag and iron over the colored spot with the cloth between the hot iron and clothing. The heat will set the color in. Usually works pretty well, I'd have to say it looks better than a white spot.

Sharon from Ky (04/03/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Sorry, Bleach Permanently Removes Color

Bleach permanently removes color. There is no way to undo it once it is done. Do rinse it out well so that it stops the bleaching and keeps the fabric from totally disintegrating.

The best you can do is try to get a sharpie pen about the same color and color it in. Or, buy some Rit liquid dye and paint the spot. Be very careful with bleach. Make sure that if you are using it in the laundry use very little and to let the water fill into the washer before adding it or the clothes.

Take care,
Susan from ThriftyFun (07/30/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

For solid color items perhaps you could bleach the whole thing, then re-color. Think of it, as a new item in your wardrobe. I don't know if it will work, as I've never tried it. (02/12/2006)

By Lucky

Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

Just fixed a pair of blue jeans I got on ebay that had a bleach stain.

Sharpie has a line of Fall-ish colors I found at a local hobby store. The color has no number or name on it and comes in a pack of probably 12 colors (rust, mustard, magenta...), then you see this almost perfect blue jean color (the lid is the color of the ink). Try it, it worked great for me. I touched the spot lightly then immediately rubbed it with my finger very hard. Good Luck. (02/22/2006)

By Mel

Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

Here is a thought: stop using liquid bleach. Switch to the powdered bleach or color safe bleach, friends.
I'd use permanent dye on the ruined clothing. Or on the jean jacket, could you apply a decorative patch or embroider your name over that spot? Just a thought.
(07/24/2006)

By QueenAngie

Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

Sadly, you can't get bleach discoloring out because it is not a stain, it is a place where the dye has been permanently removed. Don't try to redye it without removing the rest of the color. You will add color to the white spot, but also to the surrounding darker area, making it even darker, so the spot will still be visible. Sometimes it is possible to use RIT dye remover to remove or at least lighten the rest of the dye in the garment and then redye it.

This doesn't always work. DON'T try to take the rest of the dye out with more bleach. The amount you need would probably weaken or damage the fibers. If this isn't possible, try your hand at embellishing over the problem, or maybe you will have to reuse the fabric for something else, like a pillow, if seeing it wouldn't be too much of a bad reminder. Good luck! (08/16/2006)

By pinkchic

Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

A friend had bleach spots on an expensive skirt, and now she is sewing sequins over the spots to create a one of a kind garment. (08/16/2006)

By gurth

Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

I know there is no way of getting bleach out, but I read somewhere if you re dye an article of clothing it will get a hole in it. Is this true? I just got bleach on a pair of sweat pants I got about 6 hours ago and I'm pretty mad. There is just a small spot. If I cover it in permanent marker enough will the marker eventually stay instead of me having to re apply it every time i wash them?

Editor's Note: Whenever you get bleach on something, make sure to rinse it as soon as possible. Whether or not it develops a hole (where the bleach was) really depends on the type of fabric and how long the bleach was there before it was rinsed out. You may be able to find something that will cover the spot and look pretty good but you just might need to recolor it after you wash them. (02/16/2007)

By Emma

Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

If you get a bleach spot on something, you can try to very carefully fill in and match the spot with a marker, a ball point of the same color, a lipstick (say for magenta, applied with a cotton swab), even eyeshadow for lighter colors (the eyeshadow washes out & has to be re-applied). If you have a light stain, you can use washable color marker loosely applied & spread it evenly by moistening it. So deal with the spot, not the whole garment.
(06/13/2007)

By pamphyila

Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

If the bleach hasn't soaked through the whole garment, spray it with hairspray and for a couple of days scrub at it. The remaining unbleached area should be seen after a couple of days of scrubbing.
(11/17/2007)

Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

I am doing a science fair project, and all this stuff you people write is really useful. Thanks. (12/03/2007)

By lexie

Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

Find the right color pen to cover it. (01/09/2008)

Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

You can't get bleach out, it takes color out period. You can evenly bleach whatever it was though to even out the color, then buy some dye to dye it back or to whatever shade you like (don't ruin any other clothes while doing this). I've done this for various gap shirts that always seem to end up with lighter pink spots on them, aargh. But at least by evening the color was out & I can wear them again, even if they're no longer the color that they once were.

(02/04/2008)

By anne

Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

My husband bought me some new shirts. Somehow two of them got bleach on them and they are ruined. I told him about one of them, the other one I just saw the other day. At least it wasn't his clothes. Maybe I will try the sharpie idea, or even a fabric marker. (11/14/2008)

By nikki

Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

The only thing you can do is try to fill in the bleached white spots with marker - if it's blue maybe even ballpoint ink would work. For spots on khaki/tan, try to paint the white spots with tea to fade the bleached spots in. It works quite well if the spots are small. (12/08/2008)

By pamphyila

Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

If you have bleach spots on your clothes you can:

a) Dunk the whole thing in diluted 1:3 bleach then rinse for a faded look.

b) Splatter full strength bleach all over for a spotted artsy look.

c) Cut up your bleached shirt and use it for dust rags.

(01/21/2009)

Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

All you need to do is use White Vinegar and blot it on the stain. it will eat away the bleached portion. Just be careful not to use too much, as it will eat away the rest as well.
(01/26/2009)

By Mrs. Frazee

Bleach Stains on Red Shirt
Removing Bleach Stains From Clothing
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Bleach Stains On Red T-Shirt
Preventing Bleach Stains on Clothing
Bleach Stains On Red T-Shirt
Preventing Bleach Stains On Clothing
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
🎉
🎄