Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

I have a new pair of Wrangler jeans, on which I have spilt bleach. It has left a small white patch. Can you suggest anything to save my jeans?

By Phil from Jersey Channel Islands

Answers:

Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

If you've gotten bleach onto clothes, and haven't removed the bleach, run the clothes through a load of laundry to wash it away. But, if you're trying to restore the appearance of colored clothes that have been bleached, I doubt you'll have success. The bleach removes/lightens the color. Like if you take a sheet of colored construction paper, or a colored cotton handkerchief and leave it out in strong sun. The sun will bleach/lighten the colors. There is nothing to remove at that point.

You could bleach out the clothes more (to try and achieve a uniform appearance, but beware that bleach will weaken the fabric), dye the clothes, or attach an applique to cover a small bleach spot.

I almost never use chlorine bleach. Instead, I use a non-chlorine bleach (Clorox 2), and I don't have to worry about damaging colored clothes. Plus I can't stand the smell of bleach, and I get hives if I wear underwear that has been washed with chlorine bleach. (06/03/2010)

By mrs.story

Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

Once bleach stained, clothes can only be colored with Rit dye, or use bleach to draw designs on the pieces. I saw it once on HGTV when they had craft shows. Or you can applique decorations over the stain if it is small enough. (06/05/2010)

By lindylou28546

Getting Bleach out of Colored Clothes

If you are just talking about a spot or two, you could color over with a matching color of jiffy marker. That will work for a time although you have to be careful to get a matching marker, and that can be tricky. If the clothing is overall faded or has large areas of bleached areas, you have no remedy, but to re-dye or live with it.

Bleach does not "stain", it removes the color from fabrics. (06/05/2010)

By louel53