Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

I've just accidentally washed new white tops (which contain slight splashes of color design) with a blue skirt. Now the main body of both white tops are a pale blue! What can I do? Any solutions on how to return the white to it's original brilliant white color?

Mary from Ireland

Answers:

Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

Bleach does work wonderful. I like to try it in the sink with the item of clothing, that way you have control over how much you are using. Very little is actually needed, about 1 Tablespoon for a sink full of water, letting the item soak for about twenty minutes. You don't have to worry about pre-printed items on the t-shirt, it should not lighten it. If this doesn't work, add more bleach to the water, add it to a container with water, and pour into sink away from clothing. Good luck! (08/07/2008)

By ranchhandgirl

Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

Hi,
I've used Rit Color Remover before and it turns your whites back without using bleach. It can be found in the laundry aisle. The info below came from their website. Best of luck.

Fabric Treatments, don't throw away stained or dingy clothes - save them with RIT Fabric Treatments! RIT Color Remover removes or reduces fabric color before dyeing to a different or lighter color. Also safely removes most stains on whites that have accidentally been washed with colored items.

RIT Rust Remover removes yellow or tan discoloration caused by rusty water, rusty metal, and clay on white fabrics only.

RIT White-Wash whitens solid white fabrics, including hospital uniforms and non-bleachables such as lingerie.

RIT Whitener and Brightener brightens dull whites and colors without chlorine bleach.

(08/07/2008)

By JoAnnDeMom

Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

I would use Oxi-clean. Then I would try something they did years ago, I would lay it flat out in the sunlight. I think my mother used a white sheet to lay them on. The sun will bleach out what the Oxi-clean doesn't get. (08/08/2008)

By SunshineRose

Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

After washing, try putting it outside on the line in the sun. The sun sometimes whitens and bleaches. This may take a few washes and a few days in the sun. (08/08/2008)

By JOAN

Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

Thanks to everyone who offered advice, I'll start with RIT Color Remover and see how it goes, fingers crossed! (08/10/2008)

By Mary from Ireland

Getting Blue Dye Out of Clothes

Thank you so much. I would've thought hot water and bleach would've destroyed the clothes! My bf bought a new shirt and jeans from an expensive dress store and I threw it on top of a red table cloth I'd forgotten was in the wash machine. I almost died when it came out splattered with red as it was light blue. I tried everything for a week. This definitely worked, thanks a million! (01/01/2009)

By tiannalilly

Getting Dye Out of Clothing
Getting Dye Out of Clothing
Picture of a red striped shirt in a washer.
Blue Stains Showing Up on Washed Clothing
Baby Blue Eyes (California Blue Bells)
Growing Baby Blue Eyes (California Blue Bells)
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
🎄