Getting Dogs to Quitting Eating Their Poop

How do you get dogs to quit eating their poop?

Carol from Blairsville, PA

Answers:

I don't know how to get them to quit eating their poop, but if you have children PLEASE make sure that they wash their hands thoroughly after playing with the dogs and that they keep their hands out of their mouths.

The son of a friend of mine lost the sight in one eye because he was always putting his hands in his mouth (chewing his nails, I think). The doctor said that this was the cause. (The parents weren't aware that the dogs were doing this.) He said that it comes from a parasite that attacks the eyes or the liver. (03/11/2008)

By Pat

Feed them REAL green beans. They are either missing something from their diet or need more food. Make sure you feed your dog twice a day. Also make sure to pick up the stool before your pup can get to it. Eventually your pup will stop. (03/11/2008)

By Tiff

What kind of dog is it? When I had little Yorkies and they did this, I asked their vet why. He said that tiny doggies do not absorb all the nutrition from their food the 1st time around because of their small digestive tracks and this is how they re-ingest; that it was a very old, instinctive thing. (He also said rabbits and guinea pigs will do it too.) (03/11/2008)

By doodles

As I understand, this habit goes way back to wild dogs. They ate their feces so that no predators would find them. Today, I would think the best advice would be what Tiff said, pick up the stool before the dogs get to it. (03/13/2008)

By thriftmeg

See if your dog will eat a few pieces of pineapple. It makes the poop taste bad. (03/18/2008)

By witchbabe

If the vet has checked your dog and there is nothing wrong with her or her diet, this is what worked for me; I scooped up all dog poop except left two piles. I doused them both with the hottest hot sauce I could find. That did the trick. Molly's poop eating days were over. (04/08/2008)

By Gloria

Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
A woman breaking a cigarette in half.
Coping With the Symptoms of Nicotine Withdrawal
Quit Smoking
Quitting Smoking
Dog Poop Bag Dispenser
Making a Dog Poop Bag Dispenser
🎄