Getting Dough to Rise

An important step in baking breads, rolls, and other recipes using yeast dough, it letting the dough rise. This is a guide about getting dough to rise.

Rising Dough
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 25, 2010 Flag

Yeast needs warmth to grow. When baking yeast breads, begin with a warm (not hot) loaf pan. Before putting in the dough, either set the pan in the sun, place it on range with oven on "warm" underneath, or run hot water over the pan until it is warm to the touch, then dry the pan.

This will prevent the yeast from stalling the rising process.

By judijo19 from Southern California

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 24, 2006 Flag

Where do you put frozen bread at to rise? Last time, I cracked the oven door and sat the rising bread on the stove top with a big towel over it and it did its rising very well. The bad thing is when I moved it from the stove top to inside the oven, all of the bread fell, and cooked hard as a rock. So I was wondering where ya'll put your bread at to rise.

Thanks!
Suzi from Central TX

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I turn on the oven to warm (180 or so - electric) then shut it off while I prep it: oil pan, put dough in (barely thawed), oil plastic wrap on top THEN damp towel. I put it in the warm (off) oven, to save counter space. It holds the heat in for a long time, and the towel keeps it from drying out.

I have a gas range with a pilot light in the oven.

I put the bread in the oven and close the door ( no need to preheat) it will rise very well with the heat provided by the pilot light. I raise my homemade bread's first rise in the oven too. Before I had a gas range, the top of the refrigerator was used for rising bread.

hth

brenda-ohio

I put mine on the top of the fridge and cover with a tea towel. It's so nice and warm up there and it always works

I put mine in my car and park in the sun! It always works.

Read More Answers...

April 22, 2013 Flag

I needed a quick way to get my dough to rise and I thought why not use a heating pad? I plugged it in, turned it on and checked to make sure it was not too hot. Make sure you cover the dough with either a damp towel or Saran Wrap. It only took about 30 minutes for regular yeast, that is the only way I do it now.

June 15, 2004 Flag

You can put dough on top of the TV to help it rise. If the TV has been on for a while it is an effective heat source.

By TF

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingApril 24, 2013
    A yeast free cheese pizza.
    No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
    Man Kneading Pizza Dough
    Freezing Pizza Dough
    Rollong pin on round of pizza dough.
    Biscuit Pizza Dough Recipes
    A woman kneading pizza dough.
    Homemade Pizza Dough Recipes
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 10:50:41 AM on 10.0.2.102 in 948 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.