Getting Dough to Rise

An important step in baking breads, rolls, and other recipes using yeast dough, it letting the dough rise. This is a guide about getting dough to rise.

January 25, 2010 Flag

Yeast needs warmth to grow. When baking yeast breads, begin with a warm (not hot) loaf pan. Before putting in the dough, either set the pan in the sun, place it on range with oven on "warm" underneath, or run hot water over the pan until it is warm to the touch, then dry the pan.

This will prevent the yeast from stalling the rising process.

By judijo19 from Southern California

You can just put the pan in the oven while you're reheating the oven for baking.

It's important to provide an even temperature.

I leave mine in the mixing bowl and cover with a damp clothe or if it's a humid day I will just cover it with a loose lid.

The top of the fridge is perfect and leave it for at least 8 hours. Longer is even better. I aim for at least 12 hours most times depending on what works with my schedule.

The other good thing about putting it on top of the refrigerator is that you are not using anymore electricity. You are merely making use of energy that is already being provided. It's better for the planet and better for your power bill.

One of the simplest and fool-proof recipes for "No Knead Bread" is here:

July 24, 2006 Flag

Where do you put frozen bread at to rise? Last time, I cracked the oven door and sat the rising bread on the stove top with a big towel over it and it did its rising very well. The bad thing is when I moved it from the stove top to inside the oven, all of the bread fell, and cooked hard as a rock. So I was wondering where ya'll put your bread at to rise.

Suzi from Central TX

For quick rising, I heat the oven to 200 and boil a teakettle full of water. Once the water boils, I pour it into a cookie sheet placed on the second rack in the oven. Place your frozen bread in the pan you intend to cook it in and then turn the oven off. Place the frozen bread in the oven and check your bread after about three hours. When it's risen, don't remove it from the oven, just turn the oven on to 325 and cook it for about 30 minutes. The top is crispy, but the inside is great!

I turn on the oven to warm (180 or so - electric) then shut it off while I prep it: oil pan, put dough in (barely thawed), oil plastic wrap on top THEN damp towel. I put it in the warm (off) oven, to save counter space. It holds the heat in for a long time, and the towel keeps it from drying out.

I have a gas range with a pilot light in the oven.

I put the bread in the oven and close the door ( no need to preheat) it will rise very well with the heat provided by the pilot light. I raise my homemade bread's first rise in the oven too. Before I had a gas range, the top of the refrigerator was used for rising bread.

I put mine on the top of the fridge and cover with a tea towel. It's so nice and warm up there and it always works

April 22, 2013 Flag

I needed a quick way to get my dough to rise and I thought why not use a heating pad? I plugged it in, turned it on and checked to make sure it was not too hot. Make sure you cover the dough with either a damp towel or Saran Wrap. It only took about 30 minutes for regular yeast, that is the only way I do it now.

June 15, 2004 Flag

You can put dough on top of the TV to help it rise. If the TV has been on for a while it is an effective heat source.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingApril 24, 2013
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
Man Kneading Pizza Dough
Freezing Pizza Dough
Rollong pin on round of pizza dough.
Biscuit Pizza Dough Recipes
A woman kneading pizza dough.
Homemade Pizza Dough Recipes