Getting Fabric Donations for Charity Projects

Whether you are working on making quilts for sick children or teaching poor members of the community to sew, donated fabric will help move your project along. This is a guide about getting fabric donations for charity projects.

January 15, 2017 Flag

I'm making stylish head wraps for cancer patients and looking for fabric donations. Any suggestions?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Put an ad on Freecycle. I would also go to fabric stores. I'm sure they would donate to such a worthy cause.

I would suggest getting on your local town or county Buy, Sell and Swap page on Facebook and asking people in your local community who may do quilting and have too much fabric. Search facebook using keywords like the name of your town and "swap" or "trade."

January 13, 2017 Flag

I am disabled and sew quilts. I am on limited income and in need of fabric. I make baby blankets and take them to the children's hospital and also make them for the army reserve. Does anyone know where I can get fabric donations?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You don't say where you live but almost every town has thrift shops. If you ask the manager and tell them what you are needing, most of them will be very generous. I wish you luck. If you were close to Roseburg, OR I would bring you some.

You could also try contacting fabric stores near you. Years ago we had a chain store near us that sold fabric. Any damaged fabric, they pitched. I got on their list to receive some of that damaged fabric. However, they are no longer in business.

February 8, 2016 Flag

I am looking for fabric donations to make pillow cases for children with cancer. Where do I begin?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am looking for fleece material for church cause

If this person did not accept, I would love to. I teach at a middle school in Missouri. I facilitate a sewing club after school. We make pillowcases to donate to sick kids in the hospital. Please let me know.

February 12, 2014 Flag

I have a huge collection of fabric and am looking for an organization that could make use of it. I would be willing to drive it to the location if it is not too far.

By Lynn O.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am looking for any fabric donations for the students at Thurgood Marshall Middle School, Lynn Public Schools. (Not sure where you are located) So we have a brand new building that opened 4/25/16, and we fell short being able to supply the cooking and sewing class. I have contacted local businesses as well, but if you happen to have any left, the students here would appreciate it very much! I can be reached at virgiliol@lynnschools.org.

Thank you!!!

Need fabrics for low income non profit organization in San Antonio Texas.

October 31, 2016 Flag

My church is planning on making a mock tabernacle and we are in need of fabric. Does anyone know how we can get donated fabric? The colors for a tabernacle are purple, blue, and scarlet. I would love any feedback. Thank you and God bless.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Why not check out local goodwill stores (Salvation Army, Value Village and the like) for curtains and bedspreads which might be had for very low cost. Fabric stores have clearance and end-of-role aisles and might be convinced to heavily discount their already low prices on a few things in exchange for mention of the store name.

November 3, 2014 Flag

Where can I get donations of fabric and thread for a youth group? I teach them dance and help them stay off the street and teach them self respect. I need fabric for their dance costumes and I cannot cover the cost alone.

By Vicki L.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am making quilts for sick children and can give you a tax deduction for fabric donated. Please contact me.

Hello! I am helping a non profit organization put on a fashion show for/with artist with developmental disabilities. One organization would love to have the fabric! Has anyone collected the fabric from you yet?

Thank you

November 14, 2016 Flag

The Islamabad Women's Center is a violence prevention program that uses entrepreneurship and education to empower women in the slums. We are just starting to get up and going. We have enough money to buy sewing machines and pay to rent for our center, however we would greatly benefit from any fabric anyone is willing to donate. I live in Atlanta and am a doctoral candidate in, violence against women prevention, at GSU. I am working with a colleague who lives in Islamabad and currently works with children in the slums. Donations sent to me (since it may be cheaper) is fine and I can pay for the shipping overseas. Included are the websites if you would like to check us out!
Go Fund Me: https://www.gofundme.com/IWCPakistan
Website: https://vawppakistan.com
Thank you so much!
Becky Wilson and Asma Naz

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 22, 2014 Flag

I am looking to find free fabric scraps does anyone know where I could find them? I will be making quilts for my church for Christmas.

By Drea

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I go to consignment shops. You can ask what they do with clothes that don't sell. Some will give them away or charge small amount for a bag. I have got cool patterned fabrics from clothing I cut up for scrap quilts.

Start with other church members. A note in the bulletin will net you a lot of goodies. Most cities have a little ad sheet which will post things for free or nearly free.

December 12, 2015 Flag

I live in Medford with my family. We are on a very tight budget, but want to do a family community service project. We are making small swaddlers and bib-burpee cloths for the youngest clients of Maslow project, a grass roots organization that helps homeless and at risk youth.

We will be in need of fabric and thread for our items. I am messaging local stores and store owners for deeply discounted or maybe even free fabric. Right now I am working on getting a machine and supplies. Any ideas for getting help on this project would be greatly appreciated!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Put it out there on facebook. Or even craigslist in the "wanted" column. Don't over look thrift shops. Their fabric is cheap and you might even get it donated to you. Blessings to you and your efforts.

November 9, 2015 Flag

I need to find out where I can get some fabric to make lap blankets for my school. I am doing a service project and I am making lap blankets for a care center. I need about 150. I can use any color or design. Any suggestions for where to ask?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Fabric stores may give you old and unsold yardage if you can provide some documentation of the project from your teacher.

August 22, 2016 Flag

I was wondering where I can post to get donations of fabric sent to me? I make quilts for the local Police dept., Sheriff's dept., and church. I work and my paycheck goes to mostly materials needed to make them.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 11, 2016 Flag

Where can I find fabric remnants or scraps to be used to make various items to be sold at craft stalls at dog shows and fetes, with all proceeds going to FOSS (Friends of South Glos. Strays). The money raised is used to care for dogs until they find new homes and to pay for neutering/spaying and other veterinary costs. I am based in Bristol, UK.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 23, 2008 Flag

I am in need of free fabric. As part of this years Project Graduation decorating committee, I need to transform the school into a magical place. Project Graduation is an all night party which is hosted by parents of graduating seniors.

This party provides a safe, drug and alcohol free environment full of fun activities on the night of graduation. This years theme will take seniors on a tour of the world. My area is Asia. Where can I find fabric donations?

Kathleen from North Branford, CT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Join freecycle :) Besides belonging to my local freecycle I am also a member of one in N.D. and NEB. (for the times when I go on vacation)

They have things that my city doesn't, like antiques and souviners :)

When I volunteered to do quilt making for heritage days at my local elementary school, I took a letter from the school with the schools letter head and went to my local wal-mart and other fabric stores. Everyone was kind enough to donate all sorts of supplies. I just made sure I made a big "thank you" with poster board with all their business names and placed it in full view in my working area.

I took photos of several of the children around the poster board, working on their quilt samples. I took each business that donated copies of the photos with thank you cards. The kids loved it and all the business's displayed the photos. It was a great success. You just don't know till you ask and make sure to thank them. All of them were very interested as to how it worked out.

April 7, 2015 Flag

I am beginning a church group to supply a local hospital with clothes for parents to choose from who have had a stillborn child. These can be used to dress the child for viewing and even burial. We are a small congregation so we do not have a lot of funding for this. We hope to include the NICU unit and their needs for sewn items they will need in bringing comfort for the parents and families. Any suggestions?

By Debra M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This would be a good place to start. If you have those in your church who crochet/knit, you can also find a lot of patterns and sizes on google, too. I wish you well.

http://starlega … on.org/patterns/

October 22, 2014 Flag

I am looking for a place I can request a fabric donation for our senior center. I work with not only the elders, but with the whole community who we are teaching to sew. I would appreciate it very much if anyone can point me in the right direction. Thank you very much.

By A. Kewenvoyouma

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try local fabric stores or used clothing places.

July 16, 2013 Flag

I wondered if anyone had free fabric or knows where I can get donations to use to teach the homeless women.

By Donna

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Where are you located? I have mostly polyester in blouse, skirt and pant weight that is available.

August 11, 2015 Flag

I go to school at a post secondary school. It is for troubled youth and a lot of the people here don't have the money or the resources to learn to sew. I was hoping to start a sewing club and I am looking for places that have very low cost sewing items and fabric or that would be willing to donate sewing items and fabric to our school.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 2, 2011 Flag

I am with a local AmeriCorps program called Project YES!. We are putting together an event for Make a Difference Day which promotes bringing members of the community together. It is the most encompassing national day of helping others. Held annually on the fourth Saturday of October, millions of Americans are rallied into a single day of action to help change the world.

This year for Make a Difference day, we are trying to put together a clothing drive and bringing in volunteers to make fleece blankets to donate to a local homeless shelter, children's hospital, etc. I have been contacting local fabric stores, but there has been no luck so far. I'm just wondering if there are any other resources that may be available to get in contact with. Thanks!

By Brittany S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check out your local Senior Centers and Assisted Living centers as well as any other Senior Only facilities. You will find many who not only can sew, but who have lots of time to do it.

January 10, 2015 Flag

I work with the Neighborhood Youth Association (NYA), a non-profit organization serving underprivileged youth in the Mid-City, Downtown L.A., South Central, Mar Vista, and Venice areas. We are currently working on a few community-building projects requiring fabric.

One of the projects we are working on is making an NYA quilt, made by the hands of our youth (1st-12th graders) along with our volunteers, family, and alumni.

List of materials needed:
77 fabric squares measuring 5" x 5" each (or scrap pieces of fabric, larger pieces of fabric)
extra fabric for making designs
fabric glue
batting (61" x 40")
quilt backing (70" x 50")
thread

Does anyone have suggestions as to where I could reach out to get some of our materials filled?

Thank you!

By Ashley

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Better Living Charity AdviceJuly 16, 2013
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
Fabric
Donating Fabric to Charity
Giving to Charity
Giving to Charity
Sending Donations to Troops
Sending Donations to Troops
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 1:38:03 PM on 10.0.0.96 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.