Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Fabric Donations for Charity Projects

Whether you are working on making quilts for sick children or teaching poor members of the community to sew, donated fabric will help move your project along. This is a guide about getting fabric donations for charity projects.

February 10, 2017 Flag

I am looking for any quilting material donations. I am sewing quilts for sick kids that have cancer or autism and lap blankets for the vets and elderly as well. Where can I get donations? Any suggestions?
Please help!
Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Youth clubs and organization usually have fun shirts that they give out throughout the years. I actually used the ones from my daughters clubs and civic affiliations to make her one for graduation. We cut out the fun logos and used them for the shapes. Many nonprofits I am sure would be glad to donate leftover tshirts for a great cause.

I would put an ad on Craigslist for free. You would be surprised at the amount of people that will help you out since you are donating to charity.

January 15, 2017 Flag

I'm making stylish head wraps for cancer patients and looking for fabric donations. Any suggestions?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I like to recycle clothes that do not fit anymore or I like the fabric but not what it was sewn into. Free clothes for fabric may be easier to come by than actual yardage. A skirt, dress, or shirt would be plenty to make head wraps and many other small items.

Are you still looking for fabric? I have a children's furniture store and have many fabrics that I would like to donate at this time. Please contact me. Shelly

February 8, 2016 Flag

I am looking for fabric donations to make pillow cases for children with cancer. Where do I begin?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am looking for fleece material for church cause

If this person did not accept, I would love to. I teach at a middle school in Missouri. I facilitate a sewing club after school. We make pillowcases to donate to sick kids in the hospital. Please let me know.

January 13, 2017 Flag

I am disabled and sew quilts. I am on limited income and in need of fabric. I make baby blankets and take them to the children's hospital and also make them for the army reserve. Does anyone know where I can get fabric donations?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You don't say where you live but almost every town has thrift shops. If you ask the manager and tell them what you are needing, most of them will be very generous. I wish you luck. If you were close to Roseburg, OR I would bring you some.

You could also try contacting fabric stores near you. Years ago we had a chain store near us that sold fabric. Any damaged fabric, they pitched. I got on their list to receive some of that damaged fabric. However, they are no longer in business.

February 12, 2014 Flag

I have a huge collection of fabric and am looking for an organization that could make use of it. I would be willing to drive it to the location if it is not too far.

By Lynn O.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am looking for any fabric donations for the students at Thurgood Marshall Middle School, Lynn Public Schools. (Not sure where you are located) So we have a brand new building that opened 4/25/16, and we fell short being able to supply the cooking and sewing class. I have contacted local businesses as well, but if you happen to have any left, the students here would appreciate it very much! I can be reached at virgiliol@lynnschools.org.

Thank you!!!

Need fabrics for low income non profit organization in San Antonio Texas.

November 3, 2014 Flag

Where can I get donations of fabric and thread for a youth group? I teach them dance and help them stay off the street and teach them self respect. I need fabric for their dance costumes and I cannot cover the cost alone.

By Vicki L.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am making quilts for sick children and can give you a tax deduction for fabric donated. Please contact me.

Hello! I am helping a non profit organization put on a fashion show for/with artist with developmental disabilities. One organization would love to have the fabric! Has anyone collected the fabric from you yet?

Thank you

November 14, 2016 Flag

The Islamabad Women's Center is a violence prevention program that uses entrepreneurship and education to empower women in the slums. We are just starting to get up and going. We have enough money to buy sewing machines and pay to rent for our center, however we would greatly benefit from any fabric anyone is willing to donate. I live in Atlanta and am a doctoral candidate in, violence against women prevention, at GSU. I am working with a colleague who lives in Islamabad and currently works with children in the slums. Donations sent to me (since it may be cheaper) is fine and I can pay for the shipping overseas. Included are the websites if you would like to check us out!
Go Fund Me: https://www.gofundme.com/IWCPakistan
Website: https://vawppakistan.com
Thank you so much!
Becky Wilson and Asma Naz

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What a great cause! I was in Atlanta area a number of years. You might consider subscribing to the ArtNews listserve http://www.pd.o  listinfo/artnews and ask your question there, anybody involved in textile/fabric arts would I am sure be able to help you out.

Also my mom does quilting and I know that she and her quilt friends often donate things to causes, and a lot of time they have tonnes of fabric to get rid of.

Here's a list of quilt guilds in Georgia whom you could contact: http://www.gene  uilt-guilds.html

good luck!

October 31, 2016 Flag

My church is planning on making a mock tabernacle and we are in need of fabric. Does anyone know how we can get donated fabric? The colors for a tabernacle are purple, blue, and scarlet. I would love any feedback. Thank you and God bless.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Why not check out local goodwill stores (Salvation Army, Value Village and the like) for curtains and bedspreads which might be had for very low cost. Fabric stores have clearance and end-of-role aisles and might be convinced to heavily discount their already low prices on a few things in exchange for mention of the store name.

August 11, 2016 Flag

Where can I find fabric remnants or scraps to be used to make various items to be sold at craft stalls at dog shows and fetes, with all proceeds going to FOSS (Friends of South Glos. Strays). The money raised is used to care for dogs until they find new homes and to pay for neutering/spaying and other veterinary costs. I am based in Bristol, UK.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know if in England you you go on craigslist.org much but it is a good site in general. YOu can also go to a facebook group of your area, you can find folks who will donate to you

Most importantly, try a local quilt guild. Quilters always go through a lot of fabric and always are trying to get rid of fabric. They also usually contribute to their local communities in various ways.

A directory is here: www.quiltguilds.com/

Here is one result specific to the UK

United Kingdom Quilt Guilds - Quilting Guilds of the British Isles ...

For more information, Email: Chrissie@hillside-21.freeserve.co.uk or write Chrissie Cook(Secretary) 21 Hillside, Tuxford, NEWARK, Notts NG22 0JJ England ...

www.quiltguilds.com/united-kingdom.htm

I would ask friends and put out the word. I would also go to fabric and upholstery shops and seamstresses

August 22, 2016 Flag

I was wondering where I can post to get donations of fabric sent to me? I make quilts for the local Police dept., Sheriff's dept., and church. I work and my paycheck goes to mostly materials needed to make them.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

i'm not sure you can request donations sent to you, but I know if you go on craigslist.org or a facebook group of your area, you can find folks who will donate to you

Also try a local quilt guild. Quilters always go through a lot of fabric and always are trying to get rid of fabric. They also usually contribute to their local communities in various ways.

November 22, 2014 Flag

I am looking to find free fabric scraps does anyone know where I could find them? I will be making quilts for my church for Christmas.

By Drea

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I go to consignment shops. You can ask what they do with clothes that don't sell. Some will give them away or charge small amount for a bag. I have got cool patterned fabrics from clothing I cut up for scrap quilts.

Start with other church members. A note in the bulletin will net you a lot of goodies. Most cities have a little ad sheet which will post things for free or nearly free.

December 12, 2015 Flag

I live in Medford with my family. We are on a very tight budget, but want to do a family community service project. We are making small swaddlers and bib-burpee cloths for the youngest clients of Maslow project, a grass roots organization that helps homeless and at risk youth.

We will be in need of fabric and thread for our items. I am messaging local stores and store owners for deeply discounted or maybe even free fabric. Right now I am working on getting a machine and supplies. Any ideas for getting help on this project would be greatly appreciated!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Put it out there on facebook. Or even craigslist in the "wanted" column. Don't over look thrift shops. Their fabric is cheap and you might even get it donated to you. Blessings to you and your efforts.

November 9, 2015 Flag

I need to find out where I can get some fabric to make lap blankets for my school. I am doing a service project and I am making lap blankets for a care center. I need about 150. I can use any color or design. Any suggestions for where to ask?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Fabric stores may give you old and unsold yardage if you can provide some documentation of the project from your teacher.

October 23, 2008 Flag

I am in need of free fabric. As part of this years Project Graduation decorating committee, I need to transform the school into a magical place. Project Graduation is an all night party which is hosted by parents of graduating seniors.

This party provides a safe, drug and alcohol free environment full of fun activities on the night of graduation. This years theme will take seniors on a tour of the world. My area is Asia. Where can I find fabric donations?

Kathleen from North Branford, CT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When I volunteered to do quilt making for heritage days at my local elementary school, I took a letter from the school with the schools letter head and went to my local wal-mart and other fabric stores. Everyone was kind enough to donate all sorts of supplies. I just made sure I made a big "thank you" with poster board with all their business names and placed it in full view in my working area.

I took photos of several of the children around the poster board, working on their quilt samples. I took each business that donated copies of the photos with thank you cards. The kids loved it and all the business's displayed the photos. It was a great success. You just don't know till you ask and make sure to thank them. All of them were very interested as to how it worked out.

Freecycle and Craig's list are great resources, but also go to your local fabric store, and decorator stores ask if they have any discontinued fabrics that you could buy for a discount or if they would be willing to donate some. Also, try to contact local interior designers, they often have sources of sample fabrics that can get donated. Ask EVERYONE you know, it's amazing what some people have in their homes, you might even find someone who would lend you something for the weekend.

April 7, 2015 Flag

I am beginning a church group to supply a local hospital with clothes for parents to choose from who have had a stillborn child. These can be used to dress the child for viewing and even burial. We are a small congregation so we do not have a lot of funding for this. We hope to include the NICU unit and their needs for sewn items they will need in bringing comfort for the parents and families. Any suggestions?

By Debra M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This would be a good place to start. If you have those in your church who crochet/knit, you can also find a lot of patterns and sizes on google, too. I wish you well.

http://starlega  on.org/patterns/

October 22, 2014 Flag

I am looking for a place I can request a fabric donation for our senior center. I work with not only the elders, but with the whole community who we are teaching to sew. I would appreciate it very much if anyone can point me in the right direction. Thank you very much.

By A. Kewenvoyouma

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try local fabric stores or used clothing places.

Load More
Better Living Charity AdviceJuly 16, 2013
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
Fabric
Donating Fabric to Charity
Giving to Charity
Giving to Charity
Sending Donations to Troops
Sending Donations to Troops
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 15, 2017 at 11:42:12 PM on 10.0.2.122 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.