Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Getting Financial Assistance for Roof Repairs

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
A man with a nail gun performing roof repairs.

When your roof is starting to fail it is important to get it fixed as soon as possible. This guide is about getting financial assistance for roof repairs.

Here are questions related to Getting Financial Assistance for Roof Repairs.

Question: Financial Assistance for Roof Repair for Seniors

My mother needs her roof repaired, and has no money to fix it. Can someone help with this for free? She is 86 years old and lives on a fixed income. I live in California and can't help her. She is strong and will need to stay in her home for some years.

By Lydia

Most Recent Answer

By Annie Rios Hill [12]09/25/2011

If your family has a service member or had one that has since passed. You may try to contact your local Veterans of Foreign Wars. They may able to help or have someone there who can do it at a low cost. I know one church here in Missouri helped with one for a senior.
Good luck.

Question: Roof Repair Assistance for Senior Citizens

How does a senior get help in Detroit Michigan with roof repair? People tell me they've gotten help. When I call I can't get help.

By Richie

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]08/14/2014

The only organization that I know of is a nationwide government funded organization. It has different names in different places. IF you are so low income that you can't afford to repair it yourself, you must have a social worker/welfare worker through the Department of Social Services/Welfare Office. Talk to that person and see if they know the name of the organization.

Ask the people that tell you that they have received help where the obtained the help. Just being a senior citizen isn't enough to receive help from this organization, you have to qualify income wise. Then there is a waiting list. That being said, the people that receive help from the organization have to stay in the home for a certain number of years. I have a sister that received help from the organization and before that time frame was up she had to go into a nursing home and when her house was sold she had to pay back the organization on a pro-rated basis.

Talk to your pastor, there is a possibility that he knows of members in the congregation that could do the work and some that would donate the needed materials. I do know sometimes pastors will take up a special offering for truly needy members of the congregation.

Question: Roof Repairs

I am a single mother and have custody of my grandchildren. I also care for my elderly disabled cousin. I work at Wal-Mart full time and my roof is leaking. The man who was paid to do the repairs now can't be found. I'm desperate for help. I don't know how much longer my roof will hold up.

By Ayanna C. from Savannah, GA

Question: Finding Financial Help for Roof Replacement

I need a new roof, but I don't have the money to get it done.
I'm unemployed and I've started my Social Security.
Do you know someone who can help me with this expense?

By SP from Fountain Inn, SC

Most Recent Answer

By Gloria Z [5]05/18/2014

If you are elderly call your town hall and see if your area has a program where if your real estate taxes are paid you can finance a new roof at 6% interest and you can pay it off when you sell the house years later.

Question: Finding Financial Help to Reroof

We need a new roof, it rains into our sunroom, kitchen, and upstairs hallway. We just had very hard rains and it caused the hallway ceiling to come down, leaving installation hanging out. The water is wetting the wires which can cause a fire. We have a baby coming July 22. The house is not a safe place for the baby or anyone else for safety reasons.

By David

Question: Finding Financial Help for a New Roof

My wife and I are 72 years old. We live on SS with no other income. Our roof is 31 years old and needs to be replaced. We cannot afford to pay for a new roof because we live month to month with what we both receive from SS to pay for all our bills. Is there somebody that could help us out?

By Bob W.

Best Answers

By cybergrannie [30]02/22/2014

Hello - probably most of the people reading Thrifty has some of the same problems you are having (need versus not enough money) so all anyone can do is offer places for you to ask for help.

We have no idea where you are located (what country?) but the advice may be the same. Check local churches, local charities, etc. for addresses of where to go and who to see.

Many people in Florida still have tarps on their roofs from hurricane damages that happened years ago.

Best Answers

By Verity Pink [12]02/22/2014

It may be worth checking to see whether there's a firm that would be interested in leasing your roof to put solar panels on it, if it is south facing. You get cheaper electricity and the firm gets the feed in tariff for whatever you don't use. The solar firm will need to put up scaffolding to install solar panels, so you can take advantage of the scaffolding for you or a friend to patch the worst leaks, and the cheaper electricity will put you in a better financial position to take out a loan for a more thorough job in a few months' time.

Best Answers

By MARIE [1]02/22/2014

Contact a church in your area. Baptist Churches have youth groups called World Changers that do this. They may also have people in the congregation who may help do it. Good Luck and God Bless.

Question: Finding Financial Help With a New Roof

I need a new roof; when it rains it rains inside my home. My son just had a bone marrow transplant and by the grace of God is expecting his first child. We want to feel safe in our home for the new baby and allof us. If some one can suggest where I can find help, I would be grateful.

By Terry

Question: Finding Financial Assistance for Roof Repair

My mom who is 75 is in need of a new roof. Her ceiling in her bedroom is leaking. I have been looking at different options to getting her roof fixed, but my mom is on a fixed income and not in the best of health.

Please if you know of any organization that can help my mom it would really be a great. The ceiling has fallen in the hall due to the leak in her bedroom.

By Kimberly A from Morton, PA

I am a senior citizen and need "help" with my leaking roof and foundation problems. I am also under educated and I don't know where to turn. I have tried in the past other places that offer help, but they did not help me and said I didn't qualify! God bless you.

By Renard from Dallas, TX

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]10/30/2013

When you were told you didn't qualify, they probably meant that you were over income. If your home is completely paid for, there is some kind of mortgage for Senior Citizens where you get monthly payments from a mortgage company, the drawback to that is when you die the home belongs to the mortgage company.

Also all states have some organization that provides help to seniors and disabled people. Some towns call it Opportunities for Independent Living and other towns have other names for it. Where I live it is called Independent Living Center. Your Department of Social Services should be able to help you with that.

There are different organizations that provide different types of help, but usually a person has to meet age, disability, or income guidelines. I don't know what you mean when you say you are under educated, even if you only have an 8th grade education you should be able to go about hunting for help. If you are a church member talk to your pastor, he might be able to help you, if nothing else give you some leads to check out for help.

Question: Getting a Senior Citizen Help With Roof Repairs

My mom lives in Chicago, Illinois. Her roof is leaking and needs to be fixed. She is 86 and wants to stay in her home. She has insurance, but we can't come up with the 1000.00 deductible. We contacted the Department of Aging and she was put on an emergency list "last" December and rain is now destroying her back bedroom. With winter coming her heating bill will be high if the roof does not collapse in the mean time. Any suggestions where to go for help?

By Pat L from Chicago, IL

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi [391]09/25/2013

See if you have an energy assistance agency in your area. It is usually through community assistance and can be found through them. She should qualify for help.

If she is a church attendant you may want to put the word out she needs the money or the repairs. I hope those help.

Question: Free Roof Repairs

How do I get free roof repairs? I am going to lose my home without help. I have black mold and my dining room ceiling is falling in.

By Cheryl from Brooksville, FL

Most Recent Answer

By Obcodi01/06/2014

My sister is having the exact same problem. :( Wishing I could help find a solution for her also.

Question: Getting Financial Help for a New Roof

My husband and I are 63 and 64, retired, and getting SS. We own a mobile home. We are in desperate need of a new roof which is leaking in at least 4 areas of the house and has mold growing. We can't afford a new roof and we are not current on our property taxes. We have tried to repair it ourselves, but nothing has worked. Does anyone know what we can do to get help?

By Rachel L. from Palatka, FL

Most Recent Answer

By Susanne Woolley B.07/27/2013

Lots of places need part timers. These days retirement is upper 60s and we are delaying SS until 66. Trying to work until 70 to make ends meet.

Question: Roof Repair Assistance for Disabled Seniors

I live in Jax Florida. My sister is a disabled senior who just started getting Social Security. We have tried all the local and state agencies. She needs her roof replaced. Even the rafters are bad! Nobody seems to be able to help.
Can anyone help us?

By deana0123 from Jax, FL

Most Recent Answer

By Patricia Nicholas [13]05/22/2013

Check with your local Habitat for Humanity, they don't just build new homes they often rehab homes. Here is the Jacksonville, FL website: http://habijax.org/

Solutions: Getting Financial Assistance for Roof Repairs

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!