Getting Financial Assistance for Roof Repairs

When your roof is starting to fail it is important to get it fixed as soon as possible. This guide is about getting financial assistance for roof repairs.

A man with a nail gun performing roof repairs.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I live in Gallup New Mexico. I have guardianship of 3 kids and a single uncle. My roof has been leaking and I need help. We are on a very fixed income. We are looking for a new roof, but can't find the money for it. Is there any agency out there that would help? Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Finding home repair help can be difficult! A very easy online search for "low income home repair new mexico" produced many replies. You can try a search yourself and this US Department of Housing, etc., site to start. The people there will try to help you or suggest other resources.

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD ... new_mexico/homeownership/homerepairs

My wife and I are 72 years old. We live on SS with no other income. Our roof is 31 years old and needs to be replaced. We cannot afford to pay for a new roof because we live month to month with what we both receive from SS to pay for all our bills. Is there somebody that could help us out?

By Bob W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

Contact a church in your area. Baptist Churches have youth groups called World Changers that do this. They may also have people in the congregation who may help do it. Good Luck and God Bless.

Best Answer

It may be worth checking to see whether there's a firm that would be interested in leasing your roof to put solar panels on it, if it is south facing. You get cheaper electricity and the firm gets the feed in tariff for whatever you don't use. The solar firm will need to put up scaffolding to install solar panels, so you can take advantage of the scaffolding for you or a friend to patch the worst leaks, and the cheaper electricity will put you in a better financial position to take out a loan for a more thorough job in a few months' time.

Best Answer

Hello - probably most of the people reading Thrifty has some of the same problems you are having (need versus not enough money) so all anyone can do is offer places for you to ask for help.

We have no idea where you are located (what country?) but the advice may be the same. Check local churches, local charities, etc. for addresses of where to go and who to see.

Many people in Florida still have tarps on their roofs from hurricane damages that happened years ago.

Read More Answers...

I'm in dire need of a roof and can't get a loan. I'm the only income in my home and make under 30,000 a year. Community assistance is overwhelmed with people needing assistance. Does anyone have suggestions for me? I live in Alabama. I'm really stressed and can't get help from anywhere.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Call your township and ask for help some have contractors that you can call who will give you a discounted rate. If all else fails start getting figures on patching the roof. My township has a program that will loan you the money to put a new roof on and you don't have to payback the money unless you sell your house but that's for seniors only. I live in Illinois.

Read More Answers...

My mother needs her roof repaired, and has no money to fix it. Can someone help with this for free? She is 86 years old and lives on a fixed income. I live in California and can't help her. She is strong and will need to stay in her home for some years.

By Lydia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If your family has a service member or had one that has since passed. You may try to contact your local Veterans of Foreign Wars. They may able to help or have someone there who can do it at a low cost. I know one church here in Missouri helped with one for a senior.

Good luck.

Read More Answers...

Is there anywhere besides the city roofing program seniors can get free help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can try this agency for possible help-scroll down to your state for the correct agency.

http://www.eldercaredirectory.org/state-resources.htm

My neighbor who is 93 years of age has a house that is also 93 years of age. It does not show a lot of damage to the home, still she does need some repairs. Also she really needs a roof put on. Without that roof she can lose her home insurance within three months. Once meeting her you wouldn't think that she is 93. She is very sweet. How can I find her some help?

By Nancy I. from Augusta, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could check with the welfare office in your area. I'm not sure what it is called, but they must know of a program that would help.

Read More Answers...

I am 80 years and low income and have wind and hail damage on my roof. The house was built in 1995 and has not been re-roofed. My insurance wants a $5,000 deductible, which I do not have. I live in Stockton, Missouri. Is there any help for me?

By Nancy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://www.rd.usda.gov/programs-ser ... amily-housing-repair-loans-grants/mo

State Office

601 Business Loop 70 West

Parkade Center, Suite 235

Columbia, MO 65203

Phone: (573) 876-0976

FAX: (855) 830-0685

TDD: (573) 876-9480

What does this program do?

Provides loans to very-low-income homeowners to repair, improve or modernize their homes or grants to elderly very-low-income homeowners to remove health and safety hazards.

How may funds be used?

Loans may be used to repair, improve or modernize homes or remove health and safety hazards

Grants must be used to remove health and safety hazards

What are the terms of the loan or grant?

Loans can be repaid over 20 years

Loan interest rate is fixed at 1%

Full title service is required for loans of $7,500 or more

Grants have a lifetime limit of $7,500

Grants must be repaid if the property is sold in less than 3 years

If applicants can repay part, but not all of the costs, applicants may be offered a loan and grant combination

Even if they can't help you, they might be able to connect you with someone who can.

Read More Answers...

I live in South Carolina. How do I go about getting my roof fixed? It's a family house owned by my uncle. He receives disability and so do I. Is there anyone in the Horry county area that could help us?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your uncle can try:

Scroll down to your state.

My roof is leaking badly. I am so deep in debt that I can't buy roofing materials. My husband can do the work, but I need to know if anyone knows of an organization or something that can help me get the materials to do it with? I live in Clinton, Oklahoma. Thanks in advance.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check in your area and see if Habitat for Humanity has a store reasonably close to you. I don't know what the stores would be called, but they sell a lot of donated items for a real reasonable price. Also if you belong to a church talk to the pastor and maybe they will take up a special offering to help you with the materials or maybe even a member of the congregation can donate the materials.

I'm looking for a grant to fix my 40 year old roof. This past winter it was leaking in 4 different places. I'm 66yrs old, on Social Security, and can not afford to pay for a roof and ceiling fixtures. Where I can get some help? Please!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can try this site for help in your state.

I'm am on disability and my roof in my bedroom is leaking causing a hole in my roof. I have no money to get it fixed. Does anyone know of any programs, loans, or grants available to help?

By DjackR from Altoona, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Many people have problems in their homes and need help for plumbing, construction, electric, general repair or to rebuild homes due to fire, flood and other problems that they are not able to afford. Unfortunately, there are no federal, state, county, etc., government agencies that help people needing home repairs in any state.

In some areas there may be volunteer, nonprofit, and other entities that might have the resources to help, however, these are usually difficult to find as there is no consolidated center to apply. Also, they may not be active all year, may not receive needed funding and have shut down, etc. You can try researching resources online and contact private and religious entities who may be able to help or suggest other possible resources. Good Luck!

I need assistance with roof repairs in Rogers Arkansas. Who do I contact?

By Bonnie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My mom lives in Chicago, Illinois. Her roof is leaking and needs to be fixed. She is 86 and wants to stay in her home. She has insurance, but we can't come up with the 1000.00 deductible. We contacted the Department of Aging and she was put on an emergency list "last" December and rain is now destroying her back bedroom. With winter coming her heating bill will be high if the roof does not collapse in the mean time. Any suggestions where to go for help?

By Pat L from Chicago, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

See if you have an energy assistance agency in your area. It is usually through community assistance and can be found through them. She should qualify for help.

If she is a church attendant you may want to put the word out she needs the money or the repairs. I hope those help.

Read More Answers...

How do I get free roof repairs? I am going to lose my home without help. I have black mold and my dining room ceiling is falling in.

By Cheryl from Brooksville, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My sister is having the exact same problem. :( Wishing I could help find a solution for her also.

Read More Answers...

How does a senior get help in Detroit Michigan with roof repair? People tell me they've gotten help. When I call I can't get help.

By Richie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The only organization that I know of is a nationwide government funded organization. It has different names in different places. IF you are so low income that you can't afford to repair it yourself, you must have a social worker/welfare worker through the Department of Social Services/Welfare Office. Talk to that person and see if they know the name of the organization.

Ask the people that tell you that they have received help where the obtained the help. Just being a senior citizen isn't enough to receive help from this organization, you have to qualify income wise. Then there is a waiting list. That being said, the people that receive help from the organization have to stay in the home for a certain number of years. I have a sister that received help from the organization and before that time frame was up she had to go into a nursing home and when her house was sold she had to pay back the organization on a pro-rated basis.

Talk to your pastor, there is a possibility that he knows of members in the congregation that could do the work and some that would donate the needed materials. I do know sometimes pastors will take up a special offering for truly needy members of the congregation.

I live in Jax Florida. My sister is a disabled senior who just started getting Social Security. We have tried all the local and state agencies. She needs her roof replaced. Even the rafters are bad! Nobody seems to be able to help.
              Can anyone help us?

By deana0123 from Jax, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check with your local Habitat for Humanity, they don't just build new homes they often rehab homes. Here is the Jacksonville, FL website: http://habijax.org/

Read More Answers...
              Load More
              Home and Garden Home Improvement RoofJuly 28, 2013
              Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
              Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
              Selecting a Broker or Financial Planner, Happy Couple Talking With Financial Consultant
              Selecting a Broker or Financial Planner
              Removing Moss from a Roof, Cleaning Moss off Roof
              Removing Moss from a Roof
              A dirty roof that has been partially cleaned.
              Saving Money on Roof Cleaning
              © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 1, 2016 at 4:06:40 PM on 10.0.2.49 in 531 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.