Getting Financial Assistance for Roof Repairs

When your roof is starting to fail it is important to get it fixed as soon as possible. This guide is about getting financial assistance for roof repairs.

A man with a nail gun performing roof repairs.
Filter Sort

Question: Roof Repair Help for Low Income Families

By Msve 1

I'm in dire need of a roof and can't get a loan. I'm the only income in my home and make under 30,000 a year. Community assistance is overwhelmed with people needing assistance. Does anyone have suggestions for me? I live in Alabama. I'm really stressed and can't get help from anywhere.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Gloria Z 10 256 Flag

Call your township and ask for help some have contractors that you can call who will give you a discounted rate. If all else fails start getting figures on patching the roof. My township has a program that will loan you the money to put a new roof on and you don't have to payback the money unless you sell your house but that's for seniors only. I live in Illinois.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Financial Assistance for Roof Repair for Seniors

My mother needs her roof repaired, and has no money to fix it. Can someone help with this for free? She is 86 years old and lives on a fixed income. I live in California and can't help her. She is strong and will need to stay in her home for some years.

By Lydia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Annie Rios Hill 14 1,777 Flag

If your family has a service member or had one that has since passed. You may try to contact your local Veterans of Foreign Wars. They may able to help or have someone there who can do it at a low cost. I know one church here in Missouri helped with one for a senior.

Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Financial Help for a New Roof

My wife and I are 72 years old. We live on SS with no other income. Our roof is 31 years old and needs to be replaced. We cannot afford to pay for a new roof because we live month to month with what we both receive from SS to pay for all our bills. Is there somebody that could help us out?

By Bob W.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By MARIE 1 5 Flag

Contact a church in your area. Baptist Churches have youth groups called World Changers that do this. They may also have people in the congregation who may help do it. Good Luck and God Bless.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Verity Pink 43 17 Flag

It may be worth checking to see whether there's a firm that would be interested in leasing your roof to put solar panels on it, if it is south facing. You get cheaper electricity and the firm gets the feed in tariff for whatever you don't use. The solar firm will need to put up scaffolding to install solar panels, so you can take advantage of the scaffolding for you or a friend to patch the worst leaks, and the cheaper electricity will put you in a better financial position to take out a loan for a more thorough job in a few months' time.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By cybergrannie 32 892 Flag

Hello - probably most of the people reading Thrifty has some of the same problems you are having (need versus not enough money) so all anyone can do is offer places for you to ask for help.

We have no idea where you are located (what country?) but the advice may be the same. Check local churches, local charities, etc. for addresses of where to go and who to see.

Many people in Florida still have tarps on their roofs from hurricane damages that happened years ago.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Help With Home Repairs

My neighbor who is 93 years of age has a house that is also 93 years of age. It does not show a lot of damage to the home, still she does need some repairs. Also she really needs a roof put on. Without that roof she can lose her home insurance within three months. Once meeting her you wouldn't think that she is 93. She is very sweet. How can I find her some help?

By Nancy I. from Augusta, GA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Rosie 9 Flag

You could check with the welfare office in your area. I'm not sure what it is called, but they must know of a program that would help.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Financial Help for Roof Repairs

I am 80 years and low income and have wind and hail damage on my roof. The house was built in 1995 and has not been re-roofed. My insurance wants a $5,000 deductible, which I do not have. I live in Stockton, Missouri. Is there any help for me?

By Nancy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Charlieanne 19 Flag

http://www.rd.usda.gov/programs-ser ... amily-housing-repair-loans-grants/mo

State Office

601 Business Loop 70 West

Parkade Center, Suite 235

Columbia, MO 65203

Phone: (573) 876-0976

FAX: (855) 830-0685

TDD: (573) 876-9480

What does this program do?

Provides loans to very-low-income homeowners to repair, improve or modernize their homes or grants to elderly very-low-income homeowners to remove health and safety hazards.

How may funds be used?

Loans may be used to repair, improve or modernize homes or remove health and safety hazards

Grants must be used to remove health and safety hazards

What are the terms of the loan or grant?

Loans can be repaid over 20 years

Loan interest rate is fixed at 1%

Full title service is required for loans of $7,500 or more

Grants have a lifetime limit of $7,500

Grants must be repaid if the property is sold in less than 3 years

If applicants can repay part, but not all of the costs, applicants may be offered a loan and grant combination

Even if they can't help you, they might be able to connect you with someone who can.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting a Senior Citizen Help With Roof Repairs

My mom lives in Chicago, Illinois. Her roof is leaking and needs to be fixed. She is 86 and wants to stay in her home. She has insurance, but we can't come up with the 1000.00 deductible. We contacted the Department of Aging and she was put on an emergency list "last" December and rain is now destroying her back bedroom. With winter coming her heating bill will be high if the roof does not collapse in the mean time. Any suggestions where to go for help?

By Pat L from Chicago, IL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 466 2,132 Flag

See if you have an energy assistance agency in your area. It is usually through community assistance and can be found through them. She should qualify for help.

If she is a church attendant you may want to put the word out she needs the money or the repairs. I hope those help.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Free Roof Repairs

How do I get free roof repairs? I am going to lose my home without help. I have black mold and my dining room ceiling is falling in.

By Cheryl from Brooksville, FL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Obcodi 1 Flag

My sister is having the exact same problem. :( Wishing I could help find a solution for her also.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Roof Repair Assistance for Disabled Seniors

By deana0123 1

I live in Jax Florida. My sister is a disabled senior who just started getting Social Security. We have tried all the local and state agencies. She needs her roof replaced. Even the rafters are bad! Nobody seems to be able to help.
    Can anyone help us?

By deana0123 from Jax, FL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Patricia Nicholas 13 74 Flag

Check with your local Habitat for Humanity, they don't just build new homes they often rehab homes. Here is the Jacksonville, FL website: http://habijax.org/

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Roof Repair Assistance for Senior Citizens

By GreatG 1

Is there anywhere besides the city roofing program seniors can get free help?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

You can try this agency for possible help-scroll down to your state for the correct agency.

http://www.eldercaredirectory.org/state-resources.htm

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Roof Repair Help for Low Income Family

By Monica B. 1

I live in South Carolina. How do I go about getting my roof fixed? It's a family house owned by my uncle. He receives disability and so do I. Is there anyone in the Horry county area that could help us?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

Your uncle can try:

Scroll down to your state.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Financial Help for Roofing Materials

By tina n 1

My roof is leaking badly. I am so deep in debt that I can't buy roofing materials. My husband can do the work, but I need to know if anyone knows of an organization or something that can help me get the materials to do it with? I live in Clinton, Oklahoma. Thanks in advance.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

Check in your area and see if Habitat for Humanity has a store reasonably close to you. I don't know what the stores would be called, but they sell a lot of donated items for a real reasonable price. Also if you belong to a church talk to the pastor and maybe they will take up a special offering to help you with the materials or maybe even a member of the congregation can donate the materials.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Help With Roof Repair

By charlie 1

I'm a Vietnam vet and need a little help with roof repair. Where can I go? Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Financial Assistance for Roof Repair

By Ms Clo Knight 1

I'm looking for a grant to fix my 40 year old roof. This past winter it was leaking in 4 different places. I'm 66yrs old, on Social Security, and can not afford to pay for a roof and ceiling fixtures. Where I can get some help? Please!

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

You can try this site for help in your state.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Daina R. 1

I'm am on disability and my roof in my bedroom is leaking causing a hole in my roof. I have no money to get it fixed. Does anyone know of any programs, loans, or grants available to help?

By DjackR from Altoona, PA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

Many people have problems in their homes and need help for plumbing, construction, electric, general repair or to rebuild homes due to fire, flood and other problems that they are not able to afford. Unfortunately, there are no federal, state, county, etc., government agencies that help people needing home repairs in any state.

In some areas there may be volunteer, nonprofit, and other entities that might have the resources to help, however, these are usually difficult to find as there is no consolidated center to apply. Also, they may not be active all year, may not receive needed funding and have shut down, etc. You can try researching resources online and contact private and religious entities who may be able to help or suggest other possible resources. Good Luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Assistance with Roof Repairs

I need assistance with roof repairs in Rogers Arkansas. Who do I contact?

By Bonnie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

How does a senior get help in Detroit Michigan with roof repair? People tell me they've gotten help. When I call I can't get help.

By Richie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

The only organization that I know of is a nationwide government funded organization. It has different names in different places. IF you are so low income that you can't afford to repair it yourself, you must have a social worker/welfare worker through the Department of Social Services/Welfare Office. Talk to that person and see if they know the name of the organization.

Ask the people that tell you that they have received help where the obtained the help. Just being a senior citizen isn't enough to receive help from this organization, you have to qualify income wise. Then there is a waiting list. That being said, the people that receive help from the organization have to stay in the home for a certain number of years. I have a sister that received help from the organization and before that time frame was up she had to go into a nursing home and when her house was sold she had to pay back the organization on a pro-rated basis.

Talk to your pastor, there is a possibility that he knows of members in the congregation that could do the work and some that would donate the needed materials. I do know sometimes pastors will take up a special offering for truly needy members of the congregation.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Financial Help for Roof Replacement

I need a new roof, but I don't have the money to get it done.
              I'm unemployed and I've started my Social Security.
              Do you know someone who can help me with this expense?

By SP from Fountain Inn, SC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Gloria Z 10 256 Flag

If you are elderly call your town hall and see if your area has a program where if your real estate taxes are paid you can finance a new roof at 6% interest and you can pay it off when you sell the house years later.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

I am a senior citizen and need "help" with my leaking roof and foundation problems. I am also under educated and I don't know where to turn. I have tried in the past other places that offer help, but they did not help me and said I didn't qualify! God bless you.

By Renard from Dallas, TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb 1 672 Flag

When you were told you didn't qualify, they probably meant that you were over income. If your home is completely paid for, there is some kind of mortgage for Senior Citizens where you get monthly payments from a mortgage company, the drawback to that is when you die the home belongs to the mortgage company.

Also all states have some organization that provides help to seniors and disabled people. Some towns call it Opportunities for Independent Living and other towns have other names for it. Where I live it is called Independent Living Center. Your Department of Social Services should be able to help you with that.

There are different organizations that provide different types of help, but usually a person has to meet age, disability, or income guidelines. I don't know what you mean when you say you are under educated, even if you only have an 8th grade education you should be able to go about hunting for help. If you are a church member talk to your pastor, he might be able to help you, if nothing else give you some leads to check out for help.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Help to Repair a Leaky Roof

By eyesogreen 1

I really need my roof fixed. And it says to ask your local church. I go to my church and they have the money, but they wouldn't help me fix my roof. Are there any other suggestions? It is gonna set set up mold in the attic. I really wouldn't worry about it if it was just me, but I have a little six year old daughter.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Financial Assistance for Roof Repairs

By kimberlybarry34 1

We can't get help with our roof or repairs in the home that is keeping me sick. We have tried everywhere. There is no help for us. We have nowhere to go.

By kimberly

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Roofing and Floor Repair Assistance

My roof leaks every time it rains and most of the floor where we live has started falling in. I have pieces of boards covering the spots. I am low income and need help.

By Terrie K

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Roof Repair Help for Low Income Person

By Christopher C. 1

I have gone to several places to get help with my roof only to be told they're not helping anyone in my area or I do not have kids or my credit score is bad. With the last time being told, after 6 moths of waiting, they're only helping people in a different area and will not get to me until they can get more money. This is the third time I was told this. Now the problem has gotten bad enough that I have water leaking every time it rains or ice melts. I was looking to get the roof done, but now I am having heath problems with mold and high bills from heat loss not to mention living mostly in the center of my house because of severe ice damning on the outside

By Chris c

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Roofing Repair Help for Low Income Families

I moved to Georgia after dad died to take care of my brother, but money is very short and roofing very high. Are there any sources of financial help in Georgia?

By Donna from Chatsworth, GA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Roof Repairs

I am a single mother and have custody of my grandchildren. I also care for my elderly disabled cousin. I work at Wal-Mart full time and my roof is leaking. The man who was paid to do the repairs now can't be found. I'm desperate for help. I don't know how much longer my roof will hold up.

By Ayanna C. from Savannah, GA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Financial Help to Reroof

We need a new roof, it rains into our sunroom, kitchen, and upstairs hallway. We just had very hard rains and it caused the hallway ceiling to come down, leaving installation hanging out. The water is wetting the wires which can cause a fire. We have a baby coming July 22. The house is not a safe place for the baby or anyone else for safety reasons.

By David

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Financial Help With a New Roof

I need a new roof; when it rains it rains inside my home. My son just had a bone marrow transplant and by the grace of God is expecting his first child. We want to feel safe in our home for the new baby and allof us. If some one can suggest where I can find help, I would be grateful.

By Terry

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Financial Assistance for Roof Repair

My mom who is 75 is in need of a new roof. Her ceiling in her bedroom is leaking. I have been looking at different options to getting her roof fixed, but my mom is on a fixed income and not in the best of health.

Please if you know of any organization that can help my mom it would really be a great. The ceiling has fallen in the hall due to the leak in her bedroom.

By Kimberly A from Morton, PA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Financial Help for a New Roof

My husband and I are 63 and 64, retired, and getting SS. We own a mobile home. We are in desperate need of a new roof which is leaking in at least 4 areas of the house and has mold growing. We can't afford a new roof and we are not current on our property taxes. We have tried to repair it ourselves, but nothing has worked. Does anyone know what we can do to get help?

By Rachel L. from Palatka, FL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Home Improvement RoofJuly 28, 2013
                ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
                Lots of Moss on Roof
                Preventing Moss from Growing on a Roof
                Selecting a Broker or Financial Planner, Happy Couple Talking With Financial Consultant
                Selecting a Broker or Financial Planner
                Removing Moss from a Roof, Cleaning Moss off Roof
                Removing Moss from a Roof
                A dirty roof that has been partially cleaned.
                Saving Money on Roof Cleaning
                © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:32:34 AM on 10.0.1.182 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
                NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
                Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
                BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
                CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings