Getting Kids to Keep Their Rooms Clean

When my oldest daughter was in grade school I couldn't get her to keep her room cleaned. One day when she was in school I taped a notice on her bedroom door that said "Condemned by the Health Department". When she got home from school that day, she had her best friend with her. You should have heard them laughing, but they both got busy and got the room cleaned. She did much better after that.

By Shirley from Arkansas City, KS

ROTF! My mom posted photos of the room I shared with two older sisters, on the outside of the bedroom window. Your method works better. I hope your daughter is still close to that friend - she sounds like a real keeper!

I was a single Mom. My kids did their chores because if they didn't do what I asked them to do, I didn't do what they asked me to do!

For example, don't ask me to take you to the movies if you haven't done what I've asked you to do. It was simple enough for them to understand and it worked; in essence, they brought about their own punishment or reward.

Post it note that says clean your room on it.
Getting Kids to Keep Their Rooms Clean
Parenting General ParentingJuly 24, 2011
A child not listening by covering his ears.
Getting Your Kids to Listen
Small living room with two red sofas and a wood coffee table.
Furnishing a Small Living Room
Growth Chart
Making a Growth Chart for Your Kids
girl cleaning laundry
Getting Kids to Help With Cleaning
🎉
🎄