AdviceHealth & Beauty

Getting More out of your Deodorant

I recently learned that all packaging in underarm deodorant sticks actually have more deodorant material than the packaging claims. This extra material is used to keep the last bits of the deodorant on to the bottom of the base so that you can use the claimed amount to the very edge of the housing.

I wondered: is there any way to use the remaining material on the other side? Well, because the sticks housing is twisted to raise it up, I realized that it works just like a screw and a nut, with matching threading for both pieces. I thought, perhaps I can take it off, turn it upside down and get the material that is on the other side? Well, what do you know? It worked! Now with my deodorant (the white stick kind of Ban) Im going to be able to get a good two weeks worth of extra deodorant for gratis! Maybe it will work for your deodorant, too!

Since I do not use other deodorants, I'm not sure if they are all designed the same way, but it's worth a try.

I like the idea but am not in any way mechanical. Can you explain the process step by step? All I can think of is to break the outer container but then there would be splinters. Also, once you unscrew it, do you hold it by hand or turn upside down and rescrew it to "housing"? Thanks

I have also just used a tooth pick to scrape the extra deodorant up from the bottom in the plastic holder and then applied the scraped bits - Does extend your deodorant for days. Good for when you are running out, and you are using every last bit.

Keep several almost empty containers, and when you have enough, scrape or plop the remainders into a bowl and micro wave for 1 minute to soften. Then take 1 container and lower the inner part all the way to the bottom. Use a spoon and scoop the softened deodorant into the container, compacting it together. Put it in the frig to harden back up. Recycle the remaining deodorant containers.