Getting Red Dye out of Clothes

I did a dark wash with one red shirt and some assorted light color clothes. For some reason the red ran on everything. Can the red dye be cleaned out of the clothes?

Mindy from NY

Getting Red Dye out of Clothes

Well I guess you found out the hard way not to put a red item in with lights. I'm assuming this red item had not been previously washed or is relatively new. After several washings, it probably won't happen anymore. I am not sure what to take the red out with but seems there are some products out there. Go look in the cleaning products aisle in Wal-Mart and also in the area where they sell fabric dye. Also what you could do is to hand wash the red item separately in the future. I think you can set the color by using salt in water.

Also, it's best to do darks separately from lights.

Go to and pose your question as you might get some better answers than what I was able to give.

Good luck! (09/06/2006)

By Debbie52

Getting Red Dye out of Clothes

Soak the clothing (minus the red shirt) in Oxiclean and hot water before rewashing. I've had good luck removing red dye doing this.

Susan from ThriftyFun (09/06/2006)

By ThriftyFun

Getting Red Dye out of Clothes

Once I washed an old, old orange shirt with some white socks and panties. I had washed the shirt dozens of times but apparently, it still had some dye to give. Guess what! I had orangey-peach socks and panties. It was not a solid color but orange and white tie-dye pattern. I tried everything to get it out with no luck. It eventually faded some but I still have some orangy tie-dye socks. It's a funny story and I had one of a kind underthings! (10/03/2006)

Getting tie dye out of baje shorts

I don't know how to take out the die in my shorts they are my favorite shorts please give me some advice!

asap (06/09/2007)

By victor123

Getting Red Dye out of Clothes

I washed a white shirt and a light green shirt with a red shirt by accident. When I went to put the clothes in the dryer, the white and green shirts had red all over them. I tried washing the green shirt with Oxiclean and Shout but nothing happened. I tried the same thing with the white shirt and the red came out somewhat. I then put the white shirt outside in the sun to see if the sun could bleach it back to white but, it only took a little bit of the red out. What should I do now? (07/09/2007)

By ceoamiton

Getting Dye Out of Clothing
Getting Dye Out of Clothing
Red Wine
Removing Red Wine Stains from Microfiber
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub