Getting Rid of All Vegetation

Category Miscellaneous
A shovel in dirt with no vegetation.
It is important to find a safe method for killing what is growing where you don't want it. This guide is about getting rid of all vegetation.

To kill grass and/or weeds in an area that you'd like to use for something else, this is what I've done in the past with great success.

Mow on the shortest height. On a calm day, with no strong wind, cover the area with cardboard and/or 7 to 8 layers of black and white news paper. Overlap so there is no ground showing. Wet this thoroughly with the hose. You may need a rock or two to weigh some of it down. Cover the paper and/or cardboard with a thick layer of the mulch of your choice. Four to six inches is good. Dead pine needles, or pine straw as it's called in the South, is inexpensive and readily available. Allow this area to sit, undisturbed for at least one season. You can add pots with plants temporarily if you want some color or interest.

You're only limited by the amount of cardboard or news paper, and mulch you can obtain.

I would like to kill all growth, weeds, and grass.

By James

Find some old carpeting and cover the area you want to get rid of the grass and weeds in. t will keep the light out and that will kill any thing that grows. It will take some time though.

You can also put down a thick layer of newspapers. A sheet of black plastic will do the job as well.

I found a recipe online for a vegetation killer that really works. One gallon of white vinegar, 1 pound of salt and a few drops of liquid dishwashing soap. We've even adjusted ratios if we've got a short supply of one thing or another. We use a gallon garden sprayer to apply. You have to give plants a pretty good soaking so you get the roots. Your yard will smell like you're making pickles for days, but your weeds will be dead and it's a lot cheaper than Roundup! Don't use it anywhere you want to plant for a while because it gets in the soil.

If you are serious about killing ALL vegetation, Ortho and many other brands of "total vegetation killer" is sold at the home improvement stores. I prefer the "Bayer" brand of yard care products when I have to use chemicals. They are kinder to the environment. But, using the previous mentioned methods are the kindest to the environment, just takes longer. An additional problem with using chemical methods, is that you can't grow anything else there until the chemicals are leached from the soil which could take quite some time, sometimes years.

Pat T in Florida

If you lived in TX, you wouldn't have this problem. My area has had 45 days of 100+ temperatures since May. Water restrictions are being enforced and some people are having water wells dug. So, mother nature is taking care of yardwork here.

If you have tarps or sheet plastic, water the area well, then put down the plastic, and weight the edges so it doesn't blow. Solar cooking will take care of the weeds eventually.

I am looking for tips on how to kill vegetation?

Lynette from Michigan

if not killings grass....plain vinegar works well

It is not particularly environmentally friendly, but Round Up will kill all vegetation. Sometimes it doesn't totally eradicate deep rooted perennials, but it gets rid of grass and all broadleafed weeds.

Borax works great just sprinkle on whatever you want to kill and lasts a while great for brick patios. Lots less toxic than round-up. If you are trying to kill vegetation along a fence pour used motor oil along the fenceline. Another idea is to buy one of those propane torches specifically for killing weeds, I wouldn't recommend burning poisin ivy.

I have found vinegar (just regular household) with a bit of dish soap kills everything without poisoning the ground like roundup does. Sometimes it takes a second application.

I have about 14 acres of property. The timber was removed from it about 10 years ago, so now I have about 10 years of growth to deal with. My wife and I are planning on building a house on the property, and will be clearing a couple of acres of land to do it. It's really thick, but the largest trees I'll be dealing with are little pines that are about 2 in. in diameter.

I've run heavy equipment most of my life, and I'm thinking that a "bush hog" might do the job. I've watched a couple of videos of guys getting off into some pretty serious vegetation with a hog, and it seems to be the way to go. I don't want to go in with a dozer because I don't want to disturb the ground that much right now. Not to mention the fact that I don't want mud all over the place. What are your thoughts on this?

By 01indianbob from Ore City, TX

I've seen some pretty big stuff cut with a Bush Hog (did you know that's a brand name?) but I would go in with a chain saw and cut the biggest stuff first. Just to save fixing that gear box.

Yes sir, I do know that 'Bush Hog' is a brand name, but it is also a common term describing a 'pull behind' that cuts grass, clears brush, and otherwise tears down some pretty serious vegetation. Rest assured that I will have 'chainsaw in hand' as I trek toward the center of the property with my rig...going where no man has gone before...to infinity!

Yes, I guess that was a little much wasn't it...been watching too much TV with the kids.