Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Please help me to get rid of the ants! I do not leave any food out and I keep my kitchen spotless but ants are all around my sink, counters and wall in my kitchen.

Thanks

Geri in KY

Answers:

Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

This time of the year they are "swarming," or just exploring. They will usually "just leave on their own." But you can use boric acid to create "defense lines," as it were. (05/05/2004)

By Dr. Jose

Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I have found this stuff called "Tero" to work best on ants. The ants will take the Tero back to their nests to feed it to their queen which will end up killing the colony. They are attracted to its sweet tasting liquid. You can check with different stores, but I have found it in Lowe's, Home Depot, pharmacy's like Walgreens, and I found it in WalMart. If you can't find it, check with your local pest control company like Terminix and they can give you some ideas as to how to control them. (05/08/2004)

By Melissa

Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Mix white vinegar with equal parts water. Put in spray bottle and spritz ants. Sudden death to ants and some other bugs and this is human and pet safe. (05/25/2004)

By M.B.Wright

Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I have had the same problem for about 8 years. The only thing I have found, that works, is Terro. I find it takes care of them for a while. They seem to come back every couple months though, so I have a constant battle on my hands. (07/05/2004)

By Gale

Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I use old fashioned grits, sprinkle them on your counter but don't get them wet. The ants love these and when they eat them the grits swell up and the ants die. Two things to remember: they must be the old fashioned grits (not the quick kind) and you must keep the grits dry away from moisture. (09/10/2004)

By Diana Dwyer

Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I put cinnamon along the bottom of my doors leading to outside (it is pet friendly). This keeps the ants from entering the house. You can also use cayenne pepper (not as pet/child friendly). The ants do not like to cross either of these. (07/18/2005)

By melissa

Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I had ant problems too, coming into my bathroom. Someone told me to sprinkle baby powder and that the ants wouldn't cross it. Guess what, it worked! gail2656 (07/18/2005)

By gail2656

Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Ants absolutely hate peppermint oil. Sprinkle a few drops in area where ants are and they will disappear very quickly. (03/04/2007)

By Sharon

Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Windex. Spray on counters, surfaces or directly on ants. It really works. (09/05/2007)

By lw

Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I used to have a mobile home that was located way out in the country, and the ants liked to take up refuge in my kitchen. The small black ants (also known as sugar ants) didn't concern me as much. It was the ones that bite I hate. I was told to use salt, and plain and simple it worked. They just kind of went away. (09/28/2007)

By Tabitha

Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Mix equal parts of 20 Mule Team Borax Laundry Detergent and white sugar. You can put it in shallow jar lids or little pieces of aluminum foil or you can just sprinkle it on your counter tops. But try not to let it get wet. The ants will eat it and carry it back to the nest and feed it to the queen. This works for sugar ants. For other types, try Amdro Ant Block. This is a poisonous bait. You can also sprinkle the Amdro Ant Block on the ground around the perimeter of you house. You will have to reapply it every few months. But it will kill the ants before they come in your house. Wood ants are especially bad because they will destroy your house just like termites will. This bait won't work on termites, but it does work on wood ants and many other kinds of ants. (10/29/2007)

By Robert Howard

Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Pure eucalyptus oil, not oil with a carrier, 1 part oil 4 parts water shake and use, spray using the finest setting. One or two sprays will kill some and the rest will go. Have to repeat as they return but after a few sprays over a few days, only the scout ants will come looking. Just give a very light spray, spray around the entry places and around any obvious food places like dog bowls etc.
50mm oil lasted me 2 weeks (02/06/2008)

By Bill-- Australia

Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Terro isn't as good since they took the arsenic out of it. I have found that the little buggers just go away on their own eventually. Yes, they are annoying, and cayenne pepper, boric acid powder really work for short periods of time. (03/23/2008)

By Jan

Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Add ammonia to Windex or any glass cleaner, spray the buggers and mop them up with hot water. Repeat as needed. Works. (04/24/2008)

By Linny

Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I read a posting about using peppermint essential oil. Since I knew the ants were coming in from my outlet I put the oil around the face plate. I used a wet cloth to kill the ants that were already on my counter top, and that has ended my ant problem. Best part was I didn't use any toxins and my kitchen smells like peppermint. The results were immediate. (07/17/2008)

By Ray White

Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

After having tried vinegar, cinnamon, and black pepper, which seemed to work to a point, I just tried dabbing peppermint oil around where the ants were coming in. I sat back and watched as they sped up, raced around, then disappeared! I just hope it lasts and they stay away! Thanks for the suggestion. (07/24/2008)

By Penelope

photo of ants eating a scrap of onion
Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen
Getting Rid of Ants
Getting Rid of Ants
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
Ant on a leaf.
Getting Rid of Ants in Outdoor Potted Plants
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🎄