Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

Have ants taken up residence in your home? The kitchen can be a challenging place to get rid of ants since there are so many sources of food. This is a guide about get rid of ants in your kitchen.

Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this guide, click to share your own tip!

January 15, 2016 Flag

When I was growing up during the warm summer months my grandma's kitchen would be filled with ants. Each morning we would wake up to ants around the sink, on the counters, and crawling up the cupboards.

One day she hired a person to come to the house to spray for the ants. Afterwards, we couldn't use the kitchen for several hours and had to disinfect the countertops and sink area. After the spraying my grandmother took sick. The smell of the spray was toxic to her and put her in the hospital for a few days.

During this time I needed to clean the kitchen and try to air out the home so she could return. I decided to clean the windows in the kitchen. I noticed that we had ants again. The spay they used didn't stop the ants in the kitchen or garden.

When I was cleaning the windows I decided to spray the ants with Windex. I saw the ants dying off quickly. For the next week we didn't have a single ant in our kitchen. When the ants returned a few weeks later I sprayed them again with Windex. This seemed to be the perfect solution to control the ants in the kitchen.

Windex was't harmful to my grandmother and the ammonia in the Windex was perfect for cleaning the kitchen. We used Windex on the stove and refrigerator to clean the stovetop and outside of the refrigerator. Now we used Windex on the counter, around the baseboards, and sink area. We no longer had ants in our home.

Years ago we didn't have Internet, home remedies, or other solutions to control ants. When we had an ant problem we just took out the bottle of Windex and sprayed the kitchen.

Today I still use Windex or another brand of window cleaner to control ants in my home. I guess some old tricks stick with us through the years.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 6 Comments

May 8, 2013 Flag

Follow the ants' trail and try to find where they are entering from. Spray the area with lemon scented furniture polish (Pledge) and they will stop entering the house, kitchen, or wherever you see them. You may have multiple areas where they are coming in, so you would have to spray all of them.

In my experience, I only had ants in an isolated area so it was pretty easy to find the source, on the floor baseboard from a crack in the the front of the house. I simply sprayed the furniture polish in that spot inside and left it. I didn't wipe it up or clean it off. I never saw ants again in the five years I lived there!

Ants will come in from somewhere and go towards food sources so you might not necessarily have them coming in where you store the food. Hopefully this helps!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

May 29, 2009 Flag

I learned today that the cheap nonstick cooking oil spray kills black kitchen ants on contact, even if it lacks the ability to keep them from coming back.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

May 8, 2015 Flag

It was always one of those dreaded calling cards of Spring; the annual invasion of the Micro Ants, with lines snaking from my window or under sink to the nearest cabinet with anything sweet inside!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 11, 2014 Flag

I put a little hot sauce bottle, that was empty, with a small amount of water in the bottom, by the kitchen sink. When I see ants, I shake it on the area and wipe up with paper towel.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 16, 2013 Flag

No games by scaring these little pests. Just use "Eggo" syrup or other pancake or waffle syrup , and some powdered 20 Mule Team Borax. Mix 60% syrup to 40% Borax very well. Place mixture on a plate or something NON-porous, like shiny flat cardboard flat.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 14, 2014 Flag

I use a peeled strip from a cucumber, the green skin. Lay it down where they are. It works even when dried up. Does not harm pets or children.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 7, 2004 Flag

To deter ants from invading your house, find out where they are getting in and lay bay leaves along their track - they will go away fast!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 3, 2017 Flag

This is a guide about ants in stored cereal. If you have ants getting into your cereal you need to you need to contain the cereal better and get rid of the ants.

Pour cereal into a bowl

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 20, 2013 Flag

We have got ants everywhere in the kitchen. How can I get rid of them?

By Alec

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

There is a product called Terro. It's basically a syrup that has chemicals that kill the whole colony. You put a quarter sized drop on the little cardboard pieces they give you and stick them between the fridge and stove, stove and counters, under the sink, etc. It's ok if pets or kids get into it, but it's better if it's where the ants are and not seen by curious critters. The inert ingredient is basically a sweet syrup like pancake syrup.

If you can see the circle an hour or so later, you will see the entomological equivalent of a solar eclipse. They will be around the outside like a bunch of animals in a drinking hole. Then, they will take it all back and kill the rest.

The other solution is to also find out where they are coming from. You didn't mention if you lived where your home connects to others? It might be they are coming from them. If so, you landlord needs to be contacted and they will pay for and exterminator for all the units effected, and charge the person causing it.

Most of the time, it's simply poor housekeeping so that is an issue they can address at the same time. If you need more info, go to www.terro.com and they have everything you need to know. A small bottle costs about 4.00 and goes a long way.

I hope that helps.

June 12, 2012 Flag

How does one get rid of the small tiny ants that keep coming back almost every summer in the kitchen?

By John

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Be aware that borax is a poison, and is not a relatively harmless substance just because you find it in the laundry room. You may poison something else with this as well. This is not to tell you not to use, just to say that it isn't that much more environmentally friendly than a pesticide you might purchase. You might also kill some bees or "friendly" insects like ladybugs, and you would not want it anywhere near food or where your pets might walk in it.

I use the little ant traps that look like little tin cans. I believe they also have a substance that the ants take back to the hill. Diatomaceous earth which is sold under a variety of names is a substance made from petrified seashells that will shred the ant's exoskeletons. Not a comfortable experience, I am sure, but it is non-toxic to pets and people.

If you want to kill them in the hill, the best pesticide I have used is the Raid spray foam. It is a bit pricey, but VERY effective. It, of course, is a poison.

March 23, 2012 Flag

Does anyone have a suggestions on how to get rid of ants? They are on my kitchen counter and believe it or not in my bathroom! Please help.

By Kathy F.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Well, the ants come from outside and they may have built a nest in your wall cavities so you could hire a exterminator to spray the foundation on the outside. They use a product that the ants carry back to the nest to feed on and die. In my state we have only two types of ants. The small red ants and the black carpenter ants. I hire an exterminator every three years or so to rid the ants. They disappear in about 2 days.

May 6, 2011 Flag

I have these little brown ants crawling all over my kitchen counters, my sink, etc. and want to get rid of them. I have tried all kinds of things, but nothing works. I would like to know if anyone has a natural home remedy for getting rid of these pesky ants? It is kind of unappetizing to have these things crawling over the dishes and silverware and everywhere else!

By Linda from Brighton, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

My husband and I live in an apartment complex and we had the same problem. There were ants crawling around our kitchen and bathroom floors. I called the management office and one of the maintenance men gave me a box of Raid Double Control Ant Baits. There are 3 in box. The front of the box says that it kills the colony and keeps killing for 3 months. It definitely took care of the problem.

August 12, 2011 Flag

I have ants in my kitchen; how can I get rid of them for good?

By Bobbie from Cotter, AR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I had great success with a 50/50 mixture of sugar and Borax (the powdered laundry soap). However, if you have small children or pets, you have to be careful where you place this mixture, because it can make them sick if it was to be ingested. If you know where the ants are coming in, you can just sprinkle it in that area. The ants are attracted by the sugar, and take pieces back to the nest to share with the colony. This mixture kills the ants, (including the queen), when they eat it. (Or, you can sprinkle the mixture along the outside of your kitchen wall, but the same precaution applies if you have small children or pets).

If more than one colony is entering your kitchen in different places, you may have to sprinkle the mixture in each area.

An alternative is to use peppermint essential oil. You can mix the oil with water, then spray the areas where you see ants coming in. Or you can simply place drops of the oil in those areas. It must be real essential oil, which can be purchased in a natural food store, natural health store, or online. Essential oils don't actually kill ants, but the ants are so repelled by the smell, they won't want to visit your kitchen anymore. LOL! Your kitchen will smell minty for awhile, until the ants find another food source. NOTE: Essential oils should not be inhaled or ingested by cats or other small animals.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

DeDe

August 15, 2012 Flag

Please help I have ants are all in my kitchen.

By

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Vinegar is cheapest, cleanest and easiest way to get rid of them. I used white but imagine cider would work as well. I put it in spray bottle and wiped everything down. If I saw an ant I sprayed it then threw it away and then sprayed trash. They do leave trails that others will follow.

Now about once a week I walk around entire house and give a vinegar spray. I have not seen another one.

July 17, 2012 Flag

I have tiny ant like bugs all over my kitchen. I keep all the water wiped from sinks and spray, but they just move to another area. I live in Georgia and I have never seen ants like this. They are really getting out of hand. Any suggestion on how to keep them out of my kitchen?

By Angie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Sprinkle cinnamon around where they are. They hate the smell and will leave immediately. Plus your kitchen smells nice.

June 11, 2012 Flag

I am a vegetarian and try not to kill living things and this includes ants. Is there anything I can use to keep ants out of the kitchen without killing them?

By CuddlyDuck from Birmingham, West Midlands

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have very good results by just using dry corn meal around where they are coming in. We have a pantry in the garage that I spread corn meal on the shelves and they do not bother coming in any more. I even used a little corn meal muffin mix once and it worked also. Spread it around lightly and just leave it. Ants disappeared and have not returned in 3 years. GG Vi

September 29, 2013 Flag

I seen people saying apple cider vinegar works to get rid of the tiny ants. I was wondering if it really worked and have also seen people saying peppermint oil, would peppermint extract work? We can't tell/see where they are coming from because of the way our kitchen is built/setup. I am using the baking soda/powdered sugar trick and they are running away from it, it seems they are attracted to water only, from what we have tried. So I was wondering if the apple cider vinegar and water, or apple cider vinegar and peppermint extract would work? or even peppermint extract with water. Please help! I am getting annoyed with the ants, seeing as how they are in the kitchen and taking over. And we don't have very much money, so I am trying to use what I have to kill the ants and keep them away.

By Christa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Cinnamon will deter ants. In the past when I've had them I sprinkled cinnamon on my kitchen counter tops behind small appliances like my toaster. I sprinkled it inside my kitchen cabinets near the back walls and in the floor of the pantry. Worked for me.

September 13, 2015 Flag

I live on a fixed income and just moved into a new house and have already spent all my money on my bills and rent so I have nothing left over at the moment to buy baits. I was wondering if there was something I could use to repel the ants I found in my kitchen cabinets today while cleaning and organizing. I've already removed all my food and sprayed down the cabinets with Lysol, but I don't want them to return any time soon. So, is there any solution for me?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Cinnamon, ants hate it.

July 9, 2011 Flag

How can I keep ants off my kitchen cupboard?

By Joann

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Joann, I just sent message on mixing power sugar and boric acid tog to get rid of ants, it should have been, Borax-20 Mule Team. So sorry for the error. joanie

July 28, 2011 Flag

I have had this problem with ants being in my room and in my kitchen. About a year ago I woke up to thousands of ants (sugar ants) in my bed and biting me all over! I just now got bit twice by another one of these tiny black ants. I'm just wondering how to get rid of them when they are in my carpet and just all over the house.

Also I'm wondering why it swells up so much when I get bit? Each bite is about the size of a quarter and it burns like I just got stung by poison ivy! I need to get rid of them!

By Annonymus from Manti, UT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Mix and warm just a little about 10% 20 mule team Borax in light Karo syrup. Squeeze bottle---squirt in cracks and hidden areas pets and others will not lick. If animals get enough it gives them a tummyache. Ants will eat this syrup and take it back to queen and nest. Kills the colony. Queens can live up to 20 years and produce many more queens. Let the workers eat and carry away. It takes a few days.

September 12, 2010 Flag

Just about every year we have an ant invasion in our house. This happens in the kitchen area. What can we do to get rid of these ants in the kitchen? Thank you kindly for your advice.

By Michael from Madrid, Spain

Answers:

Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

I found a product by accident that ants and others bugs hate and it kills two birds with one stone. It is Fantastic Heavy Duty All Purpose cleaner. One day when cleaning I found a bunch of ants feasting on something that had been dropped in the floor. Well I had my Fantastic in my hand and sprayed them. It really surprised me when it killed them on contact. Now I just clean with Fantastic and even put it in my mop water and no more ants or bugs of any kind have I seen. Good luck and God Bless. (04/29/2010)

By grannygirl

Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

I can't vouch for it, but we had a lady tell us that she knows a woman that buys Avon Skin So Soft and sprays it on her cupboards and wipes it off. I don't know if that would be good for your cupboards or not, but that's what she told us.

I tried using the Baby Powder method I found online, and it worked for me. The site said it had to be talc baby powder, not cornstarch. Anyway, I poured some around the vent cover where they were coming in, and they immediately started leaving and haven't been back yet. As I have pets, I found this to be safe and effective. Even if I have to repeat it, it is easy and inexpensive. It may not keep them from being under the house etc., but it kept them out of the house. (04/29/2010)

By hoptownracer1

Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

Terro Ant Killer works great. It's a liquid that ants eat and take back to the colony, so it wipes out the entire colony. Initially, there will be a lot of ants feeding on the liquid, but before long, you'll be ant-free! (04/30/2010)

By WildIrish

Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

Several years ago, I stumbled onto a sure fire solution for kitchen ants! Sweet & Low sweetener. It's safe and cheap for kitchen use. No worries about contaminating pets, kids or food. Just sprinkle around where you see the ants. They will leave. Thanks to this, I am also enjoying an ant free patio for the first time in years. (04/30/2010)

By katjo

Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

I sprinkle borax and it helps. (04/30/2010)

By Dorty

Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

Thanks to the one or ones that posted about Sweet and Low. I sprinkled it, around the base of two kitchen windows and have not seen an ant since. (05/05/2010)

By Kathryen

Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

Please don't listen to the Avon hawkers who claim their products work the best. "Skin So Soft" doesn't even soften skin, much less repel ants or mosquitoes. (08/30/2010)

By arren

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 29, 2010 Flag

I had tiny ants around my kitchen counter that were coming from around the receptacle on the back splash.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control AntsJuly 12, 2011
Getting Rid of Ants
Getting Rid of Ants
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
Pour cereal into a bowl
Ants in Stored Cereal
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 10:49:26 AM on 10.0.2.236 in 15 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.