Browsing: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

Have ants taken up residence in your home? The kitchen can be a challenging place to get rid of ants since there are so many sources of food. This is a guide about get rid of ants in your kitchen.

photo of ants eating a scrap of onion
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 15, 2016 Flag

When I was growing up during the warm summer months my grandma's kitchen would be filled with ants. Each morning we would wake up to ants around the sink, on the counters, and crawling up the cupboards. kitchen sink

One day she hired a person to come to the house to spray for the ants. Afterwards, we couldn't use the kitchen for several hours and had to disinfect the countertops and sink area. After the spraying my grandmother took sick. The smell of the spray was toxic to her and put her in the hospital for a few days.

During this time I needed to clean the kitchen and try to air out the home so she could return. I decided to clean the windows in the kitchen. I noticed that we had ants again. The spay they used didn't stop the ants in the kitchen or garden.

When I was cleaning the windows I decided to spray the ants with Windex. I saw the ants dying off quickly. For the next week we didn't have a single ant in our kitchen. When the ants returned a few weeks later I sprayed them again with Windex. This seemed to be the perfect solution to control the ants in the kitchen.

Windex was't harmful to my grandmother and the ammonia in the Windex was perfect for cleaning the kitchen. We used Windex on the stove and refrigerator to clean the stovetop and outside of the refrigerator. Now we used Windex on the counter, around the baseboards, and sink area. We no longer had ants in our home.

Years ago we didn't have Internet, home remedies, or other solutions to control ants. When we had an ant problem we just took out the bottle of Windex and sprayed the kitchen.

Today I still use Windex or another brand of window cleaner to control ants in my home. I guess some old tricks stick with us through the years.

How To Control Ants In Your Kitchen

March 19, 2012 Flag

I live in what used to be an orchard, so as the weather warms, I get ants coming in. My solution, the natural way, is to keep white vinegar in a spray bottle in the kitchen and in the bathroom. When I see ants, I spray to cover. I leave for a few minutes then go in and take a paper towel to wipe the counter; in the bathroom, they come in via the tub so after spraying I just use the shower head and rinse. Since vinegar is an antibacterial, I get twice the benefit, it kills the ants and gets rid of odors at the same time (it may take a few times for the ants to get the message). Plus it's not toxic to the pets and humans living in the house.

By Dee from Salem, OR

May 8, 2013 Flag

Follow the ants' trail and try to find where they are entering from. Spray the area with lemon scented furniture polish and they will stop entering the house, kitchen, or wherever you see them.

March 20, 2012 Flag

Well, don't really make lemonade, but I read in an old fashioned tip book that ants don't like lemons. When I got ants in my pantry, I took an old bottle of lemon juice, dampened my cleaning rag with it and wiped down the shelves and walls.

July 22, 2011 Flag

I found this online doing a search. I tried it, and it worked fast and easily. I took cornmeal and poured a bit of it near the door where the ants were coming into the house. Within 2 days, they were all gone.

July 20, 2011 Flag

Shake and spray where you see ants. It smells nice and can be used outside too. Have sprayed at wasps and they have flown away. You might have to use a few times before no more visible ants.

March 20, 2012 Flag

We had this problem in one of our apartments. The ants literally went from our balcony sliding door right to the dog food. I put vinegar in a spray bottle, sprayed the track of the sliding glass door, the balcony, and the carpet to the dog dish and under it.

June 20, 2013 Flag

We have got ants everywhere in the kitchen. How can I get rid of them?

By Alec

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use windex or vinegar everytime you clean your kitchen, especially if there are ants everywhere. The strong chemical kills them off quick.

I read this item . I used Home 360 glass cleaner with ammonia . It killed them immediately . I will keep the spray handy until I don't see any more ants .

July 17, 2011 Flag

We have 2 cats and small children around and even if we didn't have the cats or the small children, I wouldn't want to use the chemicals and poisons that are in insect repellants, sprays, traps etc. that are being sold in today's markets.

July 24, 2013 Flag

My parents lived in Africa and had an infestation of army ants. A local boy gave my mother some brilliant advice; put ash in a ring around the house. The ants will be tricked into thinking there is a forest fire.

May 8, 2015 Flag

It was always one of those dreaded calling cards of Spring; the annual invasion of the Micro Ants, with lines snaking from my window or under sink to the nearest cabinet with anything sweet inside!

May 29, 2009 Flag

I learned today that the cheap nonstick cooking oil spray kills black kitchen ants on contact, even if it lacks the ability to keep them from coming back.

November 2, 2009 Flag

Works like a charm! Better than ant traps. If it rains though, of course you have to put down more. When I see ants, I open several packets (one would probably be fine, but I tend to be a little gung ho on things) and spread them out in the path they're making.

March 20, 2012 Flag

To get rid of ants in the kitchen I sprinkle cinnamon on them and around the spot that they seem to be interested in. My local dollar store is a great source for cinnamon. The ants came marching in to the dog and cat food bowls and I sprinkled a bit of cinnamon.

March 23, 2012 Flag

Does anyone have a suggestions on how to get rid of ants? They are on my kitchen counter and believe it or not in my bathroom! Please help.

December 4, 2004 Flag

Keep ants out of your kitchen, use some lemon juice on windowsills and doorways.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control AntsJuly 12, 2011
Getting Rid of Ants
Getting Rid of Ants
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
Ant on a leaf.
Getting Rid of Ants in Outdoor Potted Plants
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 5:17:23 AM on 10.0.1.95 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.