Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

Have ants taken up residence in your home? The kitchen can be a challenging place to get rid of ants since there are so many sources of food. This is a guide about get rid of ants in your kitchen.

Filter Sort

Tip: How To Control Ants In Your Kitchen

By poehere 11 28

When I was growing up during the warm summer months my grandma's kitchen would be filled with ants. Each morning we would wake up to ants around the sink, on the counters, and crawling up the cupboards.

One day she hired a person to come to the house to spray for the ants. Afterwards, we couldn't use the kitchen for several hours and had to disinfect the countertops and sink area. After the spraying my grandmother took sick. The smell of the spray was toxic to her and put her in the hospital for a few days.

During this time I needed to clean the kitchen and try to air out the home so she could return. I decided to clean the windows in the kitchen. I noticed that we had ants again. The spay they used didn't stop the ants in the kitchen or garden.

When I was cleaning the windows I decided to spray the ants with Windex. I saw the ants dying off quickly. For the next week we didn't have a single ant in our kitchen. When the ants returned a few weeks later I sprayed them again with Windex. This seemed to be the perfect solution to control the ants in the kitchen.

Windex was't harmful to my grandmother and the ammonia in the Windex was perfect for cleaning the kitchen. We used Windex on the stove and refrigerator to clean the stovetop and outside of the refrigerator. Now we used Windex on the counter, around the baseboards, and sink area. We no longer had ants in our home.

Years ago we didn't have Internet, home remedies, or other solutions to control ants. When we had an ant problem we just took out the bottle of Windex and sprayed the kitchen.

Today I still use Windex or another brand of window cleaner to control ants in my home. I guess some old tricks stick with us through the years.

kitchen sink
    How To Control Ants In Your Kitchen

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Using Vinegar to Get Rid of Ants

By Dee Terry 3 60

I live in what used to be an orchard, so as the weather warms, I get ants coming in. My solution, the natural way, is to keep white vinegar in a spray bottle in the kitchen and in the bathroom. When I see ants, I spray to cover. I leave for a few minutes then go in and take a paper towel to wipe the counter; in the bathroom, they come in via the tub so after spraying I just use the shower head and rinse. Since vinegar is an antibacterial, I get twice the benefit, it kills the ants and gets rid of odors at the same time (it may take a few times for the ants to get the message). Plus it's not toxic to the pets and humans living in the house.

By Dee from Salem, OR

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Rid of Ants Inside

By Kathy Fink 2

Does anyone have a suggestions on how to get rid of ants? They are on my kitchen counter and believe it or not in my bathroom! Please help.

By Kathy F.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By coville123 326 89 Flag

When I first moved in I had alot of ants I sprinkled cinnamon in my pantry. I also sprinkled salt and borax all around the house where they might be coming in. I also sprinkled salt on the counters.I did this two years in a row and now I have no ants. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: When You Get Ants, Make Lemonade!

By Elaine 13 36

Well, don't really make lemonade, but I read in an old fashioned tip book that ants don't like lemons. When I got ants in my pantry, I took an old bottle of lemon juice, dampened my cleaning rag with it and wiped down the shelves and walls. The ants went away and haven't come back. I also cut up lemon peels and sprinkled them around a ant bed beside my patio and they left. I have used the lemons several times and it has always worked for me.

Source: An old book whose title is missing.

By Elaine from OK

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Ants in the Kitchen

We have got ants everywhere in the kitchen. How can I get rid of them?

By Alec

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sandy Ochsner A. 1 Flag

We have ants that live under the slab Of our house in the dirt. They come up thru The cracks and I don't like to use bug killer Sprays indoor because of our cats.

What really works, sometimes they will come In thru another crack but then you just repeat, What really works is "Skin So Soft" Oil in the Spray jar from Avon. Really, really works.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Ants in the Kitchen

By CuddlyDuck 1

I am a vegetarian and try not to kill living things and this includes ants. Is there anything I can use to keep ants out of the kitchen without killing them?

By CuddlyDuck from Birmingham, West Midlands

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Harlean 142 428 Flag

I have used cucumber peelings scattered wherever you see the ants. This is a good remedy for your countertops, and windowsills, because they are safe to use in that environment. If you want to kill them, Terro is the best solution. Just a few drops on a small piece of waxed paper in a strategic place near their entry works well. Minutes after they discover it, they will form a circle around the drop to drink. You will not have to deal with them further for they will carry the "treat" back to their nest. And they will just disappear from your kitchen.

Harlean from Arkansas

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: How Do I Get Rid of Ants in the Kitchen?

By Linda Delcamp 49 19

I have these little brown ants crawling all over my kitchen counters, my sink, etc. and want to get rid of them. I have tried all kinds of things, but nothing works. I would like to know if anyone has a natural home remedy for getting rid of these pesky ants? It is kind of unappetizing to have these things crawling over the dishes and silverware and everywhere else!

By Linda from Brighton, MI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By prematurely gray 2 11 Flag

When they first showed up on my counters I sprayed them with kitchen counter cleaner (also any place/crevice they might have snuck in). I now have very clean counters and backsplash and seam under my window. After two days, I used a fine mist spray with straight vinegar after cleaning up after dinner. I will continue to do that.

Please note that I spray enough that where there are seams, some liquid will go down. I haven't seen any in two weeks. Happily I like the smell of vinegar.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Safe Way to Get Rid of Ants

By KatherineC 21 12

I found this online doing a search. I tried it, and it worked fast and easily. I took cornmeal and poured a bit of it near the door where the ants were coming into the house. Within 2 days, they were all gone. I didn't have to worry about my nosy dogs getting into something poisonous.

By KatherineC from Reno, NV

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Use Pledge to Deter Ants

By earlgirl007 1

Follow the ants' trail and try to find where they are entering from. Spray the area with lemon scented furniture polish (Pledge) and they will stop entering the house, kitchen, or wherever you see them. You may have multiple areas where they are coming in, so you would have to spray all of them.

In my experience, I only had ants in an isolated area so it was pretty easy to find the source, on the floor baseboard from a crack in the the front of the house. I simply sprayed the furniture polish in that spot inside and left it. I didn't wipe it up or clean it off. I never saw ants again in the five years I lived there!

Ants will come in from somewhere and go towards food sources so you might not necessarily have them coming in where you store the food. Hopefully this helps!

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Getting Rid of Ants Without Chemicals

By lkaserman 4 16

Use Vinegar! We had this problem in one of our apartments. The ants literally went from our balcony sliding door right to the dog food. I put vinegar in a spray bottle, sprayed the track of the sliding glass door, the balcony, and the carpet to the dog dish and under it. No more ants. I've done this in my current home on counter tops, door frames, carpets, everywhere. No worries.

I don't know if this would work in the garden since vinegar is also a short term weed killer, but it may work on the ant mounds.

By lkaserman from Adelphi, MD

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Ant Repellant Spray

By 1bettybooper 2 4

Materials

• one spray bottle
      • 3/4 full of water
      • 4 tsp. of peppermint oil (go to GNC)
      • 3 Tbsp. liquid dish soap

Instructions

Shake and spray where you see ants. It smells nice and can be used outside too. Have sprayed at wasps and they have flown away. You might have to use a few times before no more visible ants. Can be sprayed on wall or floor.

By 1bettybooper from St. Louis, MO

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Ants In Stored Cereal

By mary wallace 14

I have a pantry and I went to get some fruit loops out that was in a zipper bag and it had a lot of small ants in the bag. They appeared to be ants as they were rather small. Where did they come from and how do I get rid of them? Thanks in advance.

Mary from Mendenhall, MS

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Cricket 205 895 Flag

My mother had a rule of thumb she stored food by: If it doesn't come in a can or a bottle, it goes in the fridge!

Mine is similar to hers but not exactly the same: If it doesn't come in a bottle or a can, it goes in a Lock & Lock container (they now have generics that are equally as good). If it can't go in one of those, it goes in the fridge.

Lock & Lock (and the generics) have a tight fitting seal around the top that not only keeps the bugs out, but also keeps the freshness in. I have brown sugar in one that I've had for 6 months and when I pick the container up it moves around just like it did the day I first put it in there. No hard clumps at all.

They can be a bit pricey, but I've noticed lately that the Dollar store has started carrying the generics too and have bought several from there and been just as satisfied.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Lemon Juice for Ants

Keep ants out of your kitchen, use some lemon juice on windowsills and doorways.

By Rhonda

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

By John Bliss 5

How does one get rid of the small tiny ants that keep coming back almost every summer in the kitchen?

By John

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Shirley 8 9 Flag

I spray apple cider vinegar full strength along baseboard and door sill as well as on my counter tops. Kills the ants and won't harm you. It lingers quite a while to keep them away.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Rid of Red Ants Inside

By Ethel Gerberick 6 37

Can anyone please tell me how to get rid of tiny red ants in the house?

By EMG

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By vicki hood 4 563 Flag

Karo syrup and about 10% 20 mule team borax in a squeeze bottle warmed just a tad so Borax dissolves. Squeeze into cracks and areas where pets cannot lick or ingest. Ants eat and carry back to nest. The nest including the queen is killed. Queens live up to 20 years and produce many more queens. Important entire colony is killed instead of just repelled with products that only repel the workers. The sticky is gone as the workers ate it. Same principle as Terro only simplified and inexpensive. Terro has only 4% Borax.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth For Ants

By Julia 147 1,074

We have 2 cats and small children around and even if we didn't have the cats or the small children, I wouldn't want to use the chemicals and poisons that are in insect repellants, sprays, traps etc. that are being sold in today's markets.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

By joann berg 3

How can I keep ants off my kitchen cupboard?

By Joann

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Vick 1 Flag

Ants lay down a scent for other ants to follow. The thing to do is to get rid of their scent. Watch them and find out were they are traveling from and then wash down the path and where they have been with bleach and water.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Natural Ant Deterrent

By fiona.me.mcintyre 1

My parents lived in Africa and had an infestation of army ants. A local boy gave my mother some brilliant advice; put ash in a ring around the house. The ants will be tricked into thinking there is a forest fire.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Rid of Ants in Dishwasher

How do I get rid of ants in the dishwasher without a lot of expense?

By Joan

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Denise G. 1 3 Flag

To get rid of the ants try 20 mule team borax around the outside of the outside of the dishwasher.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Use Sweet N' Low for Ants

By metroplex 82 416

Works like a charm! Better than ant traps. If it rains though, of course you have to put down more. When I see ants, I open several packets (one would probably be fine, but I tend to be a little gung ho on things) and spread them out in the path they're making.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Cooking Oil Spray Kills Kitchen Ants

By Robyn Fed 394 1,240

I learned today that the cheap nonstick cooking oil spray kills black kitchen ants on contact, even if it lacks the ability to keep them from coming back.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Keep Micro Ant Army Out of Your Kitchen

By MITCH 15 7

It was always one of those dreaded calling cards of Spring; the annual invasion of the Micro Ants, with lines snaking from my window or under sink to the nearest cabinet with anything sweet inside!

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Please help I have ants are all in my kitchen.

By

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

thr522587 Flag

This sounds so weird but it has worked for me a few times when I can find the origin of the trail and the ants aren't too bad yet. Spray the area where the ants are coming from outside and all the ants on the trail inside with a high alcohol content body spray (the perfumed kind) and then don't clean up the ants or the body spray for a day. Or since it's probably the high alcohol content that is doing the trick perhaps just put some isopropyl alcohol in a bottle and spary with that instead.

If they are really, really bad and you can't find their entry of origin go to your local hardware store and get the Combat ant disks that have 'guaranteed in 24 hours' written on the package and put one under your refrigerator and one under your stove. How these work is the ants put the poison'food' in them in their mouth, carry it back to the nest, feed the queen ant with it, the queen ant dies from the poison and the entire colony dies because she died. Ant those particular disks indeed work in 24 hours ;-)

PS - My indoor kitty cat does not lick up the perfumed spray/dead ants and she can't get to the disks under the refrigerator or stove so am pretty sure other pets or children wouldn't/couldn't either.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Use Cinnamon To Deter Ants

By Linny 3 1

To get rid of ants in the kitchen I sprinkle cinnamon on them and around the spot that they seem to be interested in. My local dollar store is a great source for cinnamon. The ants came marching in to the dog and cat food bowls and I sprinkled a bit of cinnamon.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Talcum to Deter Kitchen Ants

By Lilac 20 1,329

Every year ants invade my kitchen for a few weeks in June. Last year, they almost drove me crazy until my daughter gave me this tip. I sprinkled talcum powder across the threshold of the door and they will not cross it.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

I have ants in my kitchen; how can I get rid of them for good?

By Bobbie from Cotter, AR

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lilac 20 1,329 Flag

Put a line of talcom powder across the place where they are coming in. They won't cross it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Ants in the Kitchen

I have tiny ant like bugs all over my kitchen. I keep all the water wiped from sinks and spray, but they just move to another area. I live in Georgia and I have never seen ants like this. They are really getting out of hand. Any suggestion on how to keep them out of my kitchen?

By Angie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By jennifer 1 3 Flag

Try sprinkling 7dust around your house. Also check for cracks in foundation and fill with a cement. You should be able to get a tube of filler at the hardware store.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Rid of Sugar Ants in the Kitchen

I have had this problem with ants being in my room and in my kitchen. About a year ago I woke up to thousands of ants (sugar ants) in my bed and biting me all over! I just now got bit twice by another one of these tiny black ants. I'm just wondering how to get rid of them when they are in my carpet and just all over the house.

Also I'm wondering why it swells up so much when I get bit? Each bite is about the size of a quarter and it burns like I just got stung by poison ivy! I need to get rid of them!

By Annonymus from Manti, UT

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

I think if you have thousands of ants in your bed, it is time to call an exterminator. This has gone way beyond home remedies.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Infestation Of Tiny Ants

By John Bliss 5

How do you get rid of those tiny ants once they are in your house? Is there a home based solution, other than an insecticide? We have found some in the kitchen, have sprayed and put out ant traps, but they are still around.

By John from Chicago, IL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By susan 33 441 Flag

You may want to have your home checked for termites. I say this because I had the same problem and found out I had termites that I didn't see. After treatment for termites I've yet to see any ants around my house now. Good luck. :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Ants Inside a Coffee Maker

By chris 3

How do I remove ants from the inside element of a coffee maker?

By chrispriv from Pembroke Pines, FL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Kathryen 8 68 Flag

I had that problem many years ago and found it was the calcium deposts in the coffee maker that the ants were after! I stared using vinegar in the coffee pot overnight every few weeks to clean the calcium deposits out and that solved the ant problem in my coffee pot. I'm still battling ants in my kitchen but per hint on this site, I will buy a box of borax today!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen Naturally

By Charlie H. 1 1

I live on a fixed income and just moved into a new house and have already spent all my money on my bills and rent so I have nothing left over at the moment to buy baits. I was wondering if there was something I could use to repel the ants I found in my kitchen cabinets today while cleaning and organizing. I've already removed all my food and sprayed down the cabinets with Lysol, but I don't want them to return any time soon. So, is there any solution for me?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Patricia Hamm 4 153 Flag

Cinnamon, ants hate it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Hot Sauce for Ants Around Sink

By Robyn 376 753

I put a little hot sauce bottle, that was empty, with a small amount of water in the bottom, by the kitchen sink. When I see ants, I shake it on the area and wipe up with paper towel.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Rid of Tiny Ants

By Christa S. 1

I seen people saying apple cider vinegar works to get rid of the tiny ants. I was wondering if it really worked and have also seen people saying peppermint oil, would peppermint extract work? We can't tell/see where they are coming from because of the way our kitchen is built/setup. I am using the baking soda/powdered sugar trick and they are running away from it, it seems they are attracted to water only, from what we have tried. So I was wondering if the apple cider vinegar and water, or apple cider vinegar and peppermint extract would work? or even peppermint extract with water. Please help! I am getting annoyed with the ants, seeing as how they are in the kitchen and taking over. And we don't have very much money, so I am trying to use what I have to kill the ants and keep them away.

By Christa

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By weinerdog41 34 189 Flag

Cinnamon will deter ants. In the past when I've had them I sprinkled cinnamon on my kitchen counter tops behind small appliances like my toaster. I sprinkled it inside my kitchen cabinets near the back walls and in the floor of the pantry. Worked for me.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Brown Ants Gone For Good

By carmine borelli 1 1

No games by scaring these little pests. Just use "Eggo" syrup or other pancake or waffle syrup , and some powdered 20 Mule Team Borax. Mix 60% syrup to 40% Borax very well. Place mixture on a plate or something NON-porous, like shiny flat cardboard flat.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Do Houseplants Contribute to Ant Problems?

Does having house plants contribute to having an ant problem?

MatchPatch

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Ren 10 Flag

Generally no. Many people can have house plants and not have problems at all. But once ants find said house plant its a different story. They may leave it alone. Other times they will move a satellite nest into the planter and use it as a new home base.

Don't use soil from outside only potting soil so you don't accidentally dig up any ants or other pets and bring them into your home.

Put a dish with water under the plant so the ants cant get to it. It'll also act as a reservoir to keep the soil moist.

If the planter douse get ants you may need to "clean the pot and wash off the roots and try with new soil or use some pesticides.

Put just like the house itself the problem is if ants get into it. And move into it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Deter Ants with Bay Leaves

To deter ants from invading your house, find out where they are getting in and lay bay leaves along their track - they will go away fast!

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Cucumber Peel to Deter Ants

By Mary 3 8

I use a peeled strip from a cucumber, the green skin. Lay it down where they are. It works even when dried up. Does not harm pets or children.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Please help me to get rid of the ants! I do not leave any food out and I keep my kitchen spotless but ants are all around my sink, counters and wall in my kitchen.

Thanks

Geri in KY

Answers:

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

This time of the year they are "swarming," or just exploring. They will usually "just leave on their own." But you can use boric acid to create "defense lines," as it were. (05/05/2004)

By Dr. Jose

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I have found this stuff called "Tero" to work best on ants. The ants will take the Tero back to their nests to feed it to their queen which will end up killing the colony. They are attracted to its sweet tasting liquid. You can check with different stores, but I have found it in Lowe's, Home Depot, pharmacy's like Walgreens, and I found it in WalMart. If you can't find it, check with your local pest control company like Terminix and they can give you some ideas as to how to control them. (05/08/2004)

By Melissa

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Mix white vinegar with equal parts water. Put in spray bottle and spritz ants. Sudden death to ants and some other bugs and this is human and pet safe. (05/25/2004)

By M.B.Wright

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I have had the same problem for about 8 years. The only thing I have found, that works, is Terro. I find it takes care of them for a while. They seem to come back every couple months though, so I have a constant battle on my hands. (07/05/2004)

By Gale

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I use old fashioned grits, sprinkle them on your counter but don't get them wet. The ants love these and when they eat them the grits swell up and the ants die. Two things to remember: they must be the old fashioned grits (not the quick kind) and you must keep the grits dry away from moisture. (09/10/2004)

By Diana Dwyer

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I put cinnamon along the bottom of my doors leading to outside (it is pet friendly). This keeps the ants from entering the house. You can also use cayenne pepper (not as pet/child friendly). The ants do not like to cross either of these. (07/18/2005)

By melissa

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I had ant problems too, coming into my bathroom. Someone told me to sprinkle baby powder and that the ants wouldn't cross it. Guess what, it worked! gail2656 (07/18/2005)

By gail2656

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Ants absolutely hate peppermint oil. Sprinkle a few drops in area where ants are and they will disappear very quickly. (03/04/2007)

By Sharon

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Windex. Spray on counters, surfaces or directly on ants. It really works. (09/05/2007)

By lw

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I used to have a mobile home that was located way out in the country, and the ants liked to take up refuge in my kitchen. The small black ants (also known as sugar ants) didn't concern me as much. It was the ones that bite I hate. I was told to use salt, and plain and simple it worked. They just kind of went away. (09/28/2007)

By Tabitha

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Mix equal parts of 20 Mule Team Borax Laundry Detergent and white sugar. You can put it in shallow jar lids or little pieces of aluminum foil or you can just sprinkle it on your counter tops. But try not to let it get wet. The ants will eat it and carry it back to the nest and feed it to the queen. This works for sugar ants. For other types, try Amdro Ant Block. This is a poisonous bait. You can also sprinkle the Amdro Ant Block on the ground around the perimeter of you house. You will have to reapply it every few months. But it will kill the ants before they come in your house. Wood ants are especially bad because they will destroy your house just like termites will. This bait won't work on termites, but it does work on wood ants and many other kinds of ants. (10/29/2007)

By Robert Howard

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Pure eucalyptus oil, not oil with a carrier, 1 part oil 4 parts water shake and use, spray using the finest setting. One or two sprays will kill some and the rest will go. Have to repeat as they return but after a few sprays over a few days, only the scout ants will come looking. Just give a very light spray, spray around the entry places and around any obvious food places like dog bowls etc.
        50mm oil lasted me 2 weeks (02/06/2008)

By Bill-- Australia

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Terro isn't as good since they took the arsenic out of it. I have found that the little buggers just go away on their own eventually. Yes, they are annoying, and cayenne pepper, boric acid powder really work for short periods of time. (03/23/2008)

By Jan

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Add ammonia to Windex or any glass cleaner, spray the buggers and mop them up with hot water. Repeat as needed. Works. (04/24/2008)

By Linny

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I read a posting about using peppermint essential oil. Since I knew the ants were coming in from my outlet I put the oil around the face plate. I used a wet cloth to kill the ants that were already on my counter top, and that has ended my ant problem. Best part was I didn't use any toxins and my kitchen smells like peppermint. The results were immediate. (07/17/2008)

By Ray White

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

After having tried vinegar, cinnamon, and black pepper, which seemed to work to a point, I just tried dabbing peppermint oil around where the ants were coming in. I sat back and watched as they sped up, raced around, then disappeared! I just hope it lasts and they stay away! Thanks for the suggestion. (07/24/2008)

By Penelope

Archive: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

How can I deal with ants in the kitchen?

Bill from Boynton Beach, FL

Answers:

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Great tip about the peppermint oil. I'll have to try that next time.

I had some success with Borax and icing sugar mixed together, but I eventually had to find the entry point. I noticed some ants around the gas line entering my foundation walls, and caulked up the little gap. There was an old line that ran up into the floor underneath my stove. I also caulked up a gap between the dining room baseboard and the floor. They were coming in through there. I used clear silicone caulking in a tube. Very easy and you don't even see it. Tape it off. Run a bead. Wet your finger with water and smooth it over the bead. Or use a glove. (08/18/2008)

By Guest

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

We swear by Sun and Earth cleaner. A combination of orange and coconut oils. Kills ants fast and discourages them from returning. Safe for counters and around kids and pets. (08/18/2008)

By chriself

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I had the same problem last year and was at my wits end until our neighbor came by and sprinkled Sevin dust outside where they were coming in at and I was never bothered again by ants. That stuff really works. (08/19/2008)

By busdrivr

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I had ants in the kitchen in Florida, they were biting and I tried the pepper which sent them crawling home and then I sealed up there place where they were getting in with cinnamon paste made by adding water. It seems to have done the trick. (08/27/2008)

By Roberta

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

1. Spray ants with Lemon Pledge. This stops all ant movement, as they are frozen in their tracks.
        2. Let dry.
        3. Wipe with paper towels and toss in trash can.

No "gritty" feeling when wiping. No poison. Nice smell. Shiny surface. Ant scent trail destroyed. Please let me know if you try this and how it worked for you. (12/16/2008)

By cj

Archive: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

How do you get rid of kitchen ants?

Jeanine from Nashville, TN

Feedback:

Harry

Where I live we have two kinds of ants. Small red ants and carpenter ants. Two years ago I had both kinds in my kitchen and bath rooms. I called an exterminator. He laid down a chemical on the outside of the foundation. The ants were gone within two days. The guy told me ant traps and other stuff people use doesn't get rid of the ants. You have to use a bait type chemical which is what he put down around the foundation. The ants take the chemical back to the nest and digest it. That clears out the nest.The ants enter the house through the smallest of openings around the foundation, water lines and other electrical cables. (02/04/2009)

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I had ants one year and it drove me crazy. I tried all the "green" ideas and nothing worked. I finally completely cleared my counter, washed it good, and sprayed the crevices with ant spray. I used a paper towel to wipe up most of the spray from the counter, making sure to leave the spray in the crevice (mostly where the sink met the counter and the counter met the wall. It was not caulked.)

After I was sure everything was dry, I went back with soap and water and cleaned the entire counter area again to make sure that whatever area that food might come in contact with didn't contain any ant spray. I was just very careful with food in the area where the counter met the sink because I didn't want to completely wash that away. It did work and very quickly too. They did not come back. (02/06/2009)

By Noella

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Home Depot and Lowe's both sell a product called "Grants for Ants". There are about 10 little metal "houses" in the package that you can put around your kitchen, baths, and outside of your home. This is the only product that got rid of my ants here in Florida. The product does have a small amount of arsenic in it, but it is sealed inside the little metal house. Make sure you wash your hands after handling the product. My mother always used cinnamon. (02/06/2009)

By florida gal

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Insects today are very immune to most "green" remedies. Buy some "Terro" ant killer. Two drops on the sink side, and they will be gone in a week or less. You can get it at most any department store.
        And it is easy to clean up, and easy to place out of the reach of pets and kids too. (02/07/2009)

By Dedeswrkshop

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Try mixing Borax with icing sugar, and sprinkle around. They apparently carry this back to the nest, so not only do they poison themselves, but also the other ants. Make sure kids and pets can't get to this powder though, it is poisonous. (02/07/2009)

By Cathy from Townville, QLD

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I Use Raid Ant traps. They (the ants) swarm to what's inside and before you know it, they are gone. Worked for me. (02/12/2009)

By touchoflace

Archive: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I have had an ongoing problem with sweet ants and can't get rid of them. I tried leaving a cluster of cloves, baby powder, and the supposedly great Protexall Ant Kil, yes, they go to it, but they sit and eat it like I put it there for them to feast on.

Nothing has worked, they are only in my kitchen, which I keep spotless, and stay running on my bathroom sink area. I have changed the "glops" of the famous Ant Kil I mentioned and it just seems like a new "glop" of treat for them. Please, help, if anyone knows better it would be so appreciated.

By scottsmar

Feedback:

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Here are a few more options to try: Used coffee grounds or chalk lines around all entry points can deter them. Boric acid (borax soap in laundry aisle) around entry points (not toxic to people or animals) will kill them. Good luck.
        (07/21/2009)

By lafclayton

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

My husband bought a bag of Snail Poison at Lowe's home improvement center and through out around our house because we had hundreds. It got rid of snails, ants, and everything else. I see an ant every once in a while, but when it rains they are gone for days again. I am going to continue using the snail poison every spring. Be careful of small children and pets. (07/24/2009)

By grannygirl

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I have found cinnamon repels ants; I read this online somewhere and it worked in my case. I sprinkled it on the countertops behind things setting on the counter and in the upper cabinets. I won't use chemicals of any kind. (07/24/2009)

By TXBetty

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

Terro works great. You put on a piece of cardboard and let them feast. They take it back to the nest and then share it with the others and the queen and they all die. It works great. You have to be patient and not kill them while they are feasting. I know it is hard.

I live in FL and the bug man says they come in around the water pipes so he said put the Terro in the places where they come in from. Good luck. (07/24/2009)

By caraing

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

I had a terrible problem with ants a few years back. I tried cinnamon (didn't work), baking powder (didn't work), and Terro (didn't work). Then I bought ant spray. I cleaned off my counters and sprayed ant spray all over, especially the cracks and crevices of the wall and counter. Let it dry for an hour or so. Go back and wash down the counter to make it food ready, but leave the cracks and crevices. Don't wash those. Of course, you will need to be very careful about food touching those areas. It was the only thing that worked for me. I did leave the Terro blocks out also. So maybe it was a combination of both. There are times when going "green" just doesn't work and you have to resort to chemicals. (07/25/2009)

By Noella

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in Kitchen

We have them every year starting in early spring time. My roommate bought some stuff called: Spectracide Bug Stop Indoor Plus Outdoor Insect Killer. It controls for up to 9 months with just one application. It has really worked for us each year. I try to tell everyone I know about it so they can try it for themselves. (08/02/2009)

By 1burrell

Archive: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

With the current heat wave and lack of water, my kitchen has been invaded by ants. They are everywhere. Please help with suggestions on how to keep them from coming in and then not coming back.

By Deborah from Temecula, CA

Feedback:

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

I don't know if you want a remedy that isn't a chemical, but if you are not opposed to using chemicals, the best thing I have found to eliminate ants in my kitchen is a product called Terro. It comes in a small bottle, and is a clear substance that has a consistency similar to honey. Just take a small piece of waxed paper, pour out a couple drops of the Terro on the waxed paper, and put it in an out of the way area of your windowsill or counter where you are seeing ants. In minutes, they will form a ring around the drops, and soon after that, they will be gone. Repeat the treatment as needed. (09/04/2009)

By Harlean from AR

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

Try black pepper as mentioned in today's site. (09/04/2009)

By rasta

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

I just read where you can wipe their path with a cotton ball filled with vinegar and it will erase the scent they follow. Also, a chalk line works. And when they keep 'butting" the line they fall off the wall. Don't know if it kills them or what, but it does deter them. Good luck. (09/04/2009)

By HalfWhit

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

Do not use black pepper around cats, it can be lethal to them. I put bay leaves on window sills, etc. (09/05/2009)

By Maryeileen

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

Just use cinnamon, works every time. (09/05/2009)

By sillygirl1717

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

I won't use chemicals or poisons. Diatomaceous earth is a white powder used in the garden to eliminate pests. It's the best thing I've ever used for ants. Just sprinkle it on the floor, counters, or whatever; it's completely safe. Available at home stores like Lowe's for about $10 for a large bag.

Jan from FL (09/07/2009)

By jcolinger

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

If you try it, make sure the Diatomaceous Earth is "food grade" if you have small children or pets. (09/08/2009)

By Deeli

I had tiny ants around my kitchen counter that were coming from around the receptacle on the back splash. I cannot put anything wet around the receptacle because of the electricity. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can get rid of the ants?

By Donna from NJ

Feedback:

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

Here are some things I learned from living in Louisiana, home of the fire ants. Ants hate the smell of cinnamon. Boric acid kills them a little while after they walk through it and they carry it back to other ants. Also, you can pour a little washing powder in their nest to kill them and destroy the nest. However, they just usually move the nest to another area. (11/06/2009)

By kimsukie

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

While you can not spray liquids on the electrical receptacle you can spray the counter and wall. Use the cheapest glass cleaner you can find. Ants will not cross where glass cleaner has been sprayed. (11/06/2009)

By Nativeokie

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

There is a product that I have used for many years. It's called Terro. It can be found just about anywhere anymore. I get it at Wal Mart. You take a tiny piece of paper towel, maybe 1 inch square. Put just one drop of Terro on it and lay it in the path of where the ants travel. They will get it on their feet and carry it back to the nest and it'll kill the whole colony. Then all you have to do is pick up the paper and wipe the counter under where it was. No muss no fuss. And much safer than anything that must be spread or sprayed. (11/07/2009)

By Cricketnc

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

There are also lots of suggestions in the archives below.
        (11/07/2009)

By Deeli

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

Yes, cinnamon. I put it behind all the things on my counter. Out of site and it worked. (11/07/2009)

By TXBetty

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

My pa uses diatomaceous earth, it is a fossil from the sea. It's pulverized and minutely, extremely sharp to small unwanted guests. He puts it at the doorways to the home. He is living in Arizona; no more roaches/crickets/ants. Works really well; it totally dehydrates them. (11/08/2009)

By PamelaW

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

You don't need to bait them where they are coming from, but rather where they are ending up. I had the same problem this summer and what worked was Combat ant disks that clearly stated on the box "guaranteed to kill ants within 24 hours". Slide those disks under your microwave, stove, and fridge (far enough in that a pet or child can't reach them).

I promise if you get the exact disks I just mentioned (the one stating 24 hour guarantee) you will not have ants in less than 24 hours. What happens is they are attracted to the ingredients inside those disks and take those ingredients back to the nest and the entire nest is poisoned. I tried a different type of Combat disk first and it didn't work, but the 24 hour one did. (12/14/2009)

By Deeli

TERRO DOES NOT WORK

Do not waste your money folks. I went to Walmart and bought this, due to suggestions by members on here. I put it on the floor where there were no ants. Next morning there was a swarm of them dancing on it. I hope I can get my money back. Please don't waste yours. (04/21/2010)

By SophiaMia

Just about every year we have an ant invasion in our house. This happens in the kitchen area. What can we do to get rid of these ants in the kitchen? Thank you kindly for your advice.

By Michael from Madrid, Spain

Feedback:

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

I found a product by accident that ants and others bugs hate and it kills two birds with one stone. It is Fantastic Heavy Duty All Purpose cleaner. One day when cleaning I found a bunch of ants feasting on something that had been dropped in the floor. Well I had my Fantastic in my hand and sprayed them. It really surprised me when it killed them on contact. Now I just clean with Fantastic and even put it in my mop water and no more ants or bugs of any kind have I seen. Good luck and God Bless. (04/29/2010)

By grannygirl

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

I can't vouch for it, but we had a lady tell us that she knows a woman that buys Avon Skin So Soft and sprays it on her cupboards and wipes it off. I don't know if that would be good for your cupboards or not, but that's what she told us.

I tried using the Baby Powder method I found online, and it worked for me. The site said it had to be talc baby powder, not cornstarch. Anyway, I poured some around the vent cover where they were coming in, and they immediately started leaving and haven't been back yet. As I have pets, I found this to be safe and effective. Even if I have to repeat it, it is easy and inexpensive. It may not keep them from being under the house etc., but it kept them out of the house. (04/29/2010)

By hoptownracer1

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

Terro Ant Killer works great. It's a liquid that ants eat and take back to the colony, so it wipes out the entire colony. Initially, there will be a lot of ants feeding on the liquid, but before long, you'll be ant-free! (04/30/2010)

By WildIrish

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

Several years ago, I stumbled onto a sure fire solution for kitchen ants! Sweet & Low sweetener. It's safe and cheap for kitchen use. No worries about contaminating pets, kids or food. Just sprinkle around where you see the ants. They will leave. Thanks to this, I am also enjoying an ant free patio for the first time in years. (04/30/2010)

By katjo

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

I sprinkle borax and it helps. (04/30/2010)

By Dorty

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

Thanks to the one or ones that posted about Sweet and Low. I sprinkled it, around the base of two kitchen windows and have not seen an ant since. (05/05/2010)

By Kathryen

RE: Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

Please don't listen to the Avon hawkers who claim their products work the best. "Skin So Soft" doesn't even soften skin, much less repel ants or mosquitoes. (08/30/2010)

By arren

photo of ants eating a scrap of onion
        Home and Garden Pest Control AntsJuly 12, 2011
        ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
        Getting Rid of Ants
        Getting Rid of Ants
        Ants on a Trumpet Vine
        Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
        Ant on a leaf.
        Getting Rid of Ants in Outdoor Potted Plants
        Flying ant on a white background.
        Getting Rid of Flying Ants
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 9:10:19 AM on 10.0.2.195 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsCommentsArchives
        NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
        Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
        BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
        CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings