Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

Have ants taken up residence in your home? The kitchen can be a challenging place to get rid of ants since there are so many sources of food. This is a guide about get rid of ants in your kitchen.

photo of ants eating a scrap of onion
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

When I was growing up during the warm summer months my grandma's kitchen would be filled with ants. Each morning we would wake up to ants around the sink, on the counters, and crawling up the cupboards.

One day she hired a person to come to the house to spray for the ants. Afterwards, we couldn't use the kitchen for several hours and had to disinfect the countertops and sink area. After the spraying my grandmother took sick. The smell of the spray was toxic to her and put her in the hospital for a few days.

During this time I needed to clean the kitchen and try to air out the home so she could return. I decided to clean the windows in the kitchen. I noticed that we had ants again. The spay they used didn't stop the ants in the kitchen or garden.

When I was cleaning the windows I decided to spray the ants with Windex. I saw the ants dying off quickly. For the next week we didn't have a single ant in our kitchen. When the ants returned a few weeks later I sprayed them again with Windex. This seemed to be the perfect solution to control the ants in the kitchen.

Windex was't harmful to my grandmother and the ammonia in the Windex was perfect for cleaning the kitchen. We used Windex on the stove and refrigerator to clean the stovetop and outside of the refrigerator. Now we used Windex on the counter, around the baseboards, and sink area. We no longer had ants in our home.

Years ago we didn't have Internet, home remedies, or other solutions to control ants. When we had an ant problem we just took out the bottle of Windex and sprayed the kitchen.

Today I still use Windex or another brand of window cleaner to control ants in my home. I guess some old tricks stick with us through the years.

kitchen sink
    How To Control Ants In Your Kitchen
    CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I live in what used to be an orchard, so as the weather warms, I get ants coming in. My solution, the natural way, is to keep white vinegar in a spray bottle in the kitchen and in the bathroom. When I see ants, I spray to cover. I leave for a few minutes then go in and take a paper towel to wipe the counter; in the bathroom, they come in via the tub so after spraying I just use the shower head and rinse. Since vinegar is an antibacterial, I get twice the benefit, it kills the ants and gets rid of odors at the same time (it may take a few times for the ants to get the message). Plus it's not toxic to the pets and humans living in the house.

By Dee from Salem, OR

We have got ants everywhere in the kitchen. How can I get rid of them?

By Alec

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We have ants that live under the slab Of our house in the dirt. They come up thru The cracks and I don't like to use bug killer Sprays indoor because of our cats.

What really works, sometimes they will come In thru another crack but then you just repeat, What really works is "Skin So Soft" Oil in the Spray jar from Avon. Really, really works.

Read More Answers...

Follow the ants' trail and try to find where they are entering from. Spray the area with lemon scented furniture polish (Pledge) and they will stop entering the house, kitchen, or wherever you see them. You may have multiple areas where they are coming in, so you would have to spray all of them.

In my experience, I only had ants in an isolated area so it was pretty easy to find the source, on the floor baseboard from a crack in the the front of the house. I simply sprayed the furniture polish in that spot inside and left it. I didn't wipe it up or clean it off. I never saw ants again in the five years I lived there!

Ants will come in from somewhere and go towards food sources so you might not necessarily have them coming in where you store the food. Hopefully this helps!

Well, don't really make lemonade, but I read in an old fashioned tip book that ants don't like lemons. When I got ants in my pantry, I took an old bottle of lemon juice, dampened my cleaning rag with it and wiped down the shelves and walls.

Does anyone have a suggestions on how to get rid of ants? They are on my kitchen counter and believe it or not in my bathroom! Please help.

By Kathy F.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When I first moved in I had alot of ants I sprinkled cinnamon in my pantry. I also sprinkled salt and borax all around the house where they might be coming in. I also sprinkled salt on the counters.I did this two years in a row and now I have no ants. Hope this helps.

Read More Answers...

I found this online doing a search. I tried it, and it worked fast and easily. I took cornmeal and poured a bit of it near the door where the ants were coming into the house. Within 2 days, they were all gone.

Shake and spray where you see ants. It smells nice and can be used outside too. Have sprayed at wasps and they have flown away. You might have to use a few times before no more visible ants.

I live on a fixed income and just moved into a new house and have already spent all my money on my bills and rent so I have nothing left over at the moment to buy baits. I was wondering if there was something I could use to repel the ants I found in my kitchen cabinets today while cleaning and organizing. I've already removed all my food and sprayed down the cabinets with Lysol, but I don't want them to return any time soon. So, is there any solution for me?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Cinnamon, ants hate it.

We had this problem in one of our apartments. The ants literally went from our balcony sliding door right to the dog food. I put vinegar in a spray bottle, sprayed the track of the sliding glass door, the balcony, and the carpet to the dog dish and under it.

I am a vegetarian and try not to kill living things and this includes ants. Is there anything I can use to keep ants out of the kitchen without killing them?

By CuddlyDuck from Birmingham, West Midlands

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have used cucumber peelings scattered wherever you see the ants. This is a good remedy for your countertops, and windowsills, because they are safe to use in that environment. If you want to kill them, Terro is the best solution. Just a few drops on a small piece of waxed paper in a strategic place near their entry works well. Minutes after they discover it, they will form a circle around the drop to drink. You will not have to deal with them further for they will carry the "treat" back to their nest. And they will just disappear from your kitchen.

Harlean from Arkansas

Read More Answers...

My parents lived in Africa and had an infestation of army ants. A local boy gave my mother some brilliant advice; put ash in a ring around the house. The ants will be tricked into thinking there is a forest fire.

We have 2 cats and small children around and even if we didn't have the cats or the small children, I wouldn't want to use the chemicals and poisons that are in insect repellants, sprays, traps etc. that are being sold in today's markets.

It was always one of those dreaded calling cards of Spring; the annual invasion of the Micro Ants, with lines snaking from my window or under sink to the nearest cabinet with anything sweet inside!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I get rid of ants in the dishwasher without a lot of expense?

By Joan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To get rid of the ants try 20 mule team borax around the outside of the outside of the dishwasher.

Read More Answers...

I have these little brown ants crawling all over my kitchen counters, my sink, etc. and want to get rid of them. I have tried all kinds of things, but nothing works. I would like to know if anyone has a natural home remedy for getting rid of these pesky ants? It is kind of unappetizing to have these things crawling over the dishes and silverware and everywhere else!

By Linda from Brighton, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When they first showed up on my counters I sprayed them with kitchen counter cleaner (also any place/crevice they might have snuck in). I now have very clean counters and backsplash and seam under my window. After two days, I used a fine mist spray with straight vinegar after cleaning up after dinner. I will continue to do that.

Please note that I spray enough that where there are seams, some liquid will go down. I haven't seen any in two weeks. Happily I like the smell of vinegar.

Read More Answers...

I learned today that the cheap nonstick cooking oil spray kills black kitchen ants on contact, even if it lacks the ability to keep them from coming back.

How does one get rid of the small tiny ants that keep coming back almost every summer in the kitchen?

By John

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I spray apple cider vinegar full strength along baseboard and door sill as well as on my counter tops. Kills the ants and won't harm you. It lingers quite a while to keep them away.

Read More Answers...

Can anyone please tell me how to get rid of tiny red ants in the house?

By EMG

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Karo syrup and about 10% 20 mule team borax in a squeeze bottle warmed just a tad so Borax dissolves. Squeeze into cracks and areas where pets cannot lick or ingest. Ants eat and carry back to nest. The nest including the queen is killed. Queens live up to 20 years and produce many more queens. Important entire colony is killed instead of just repelled with products that only repel the workers. The sticky is gone as the workers ate it. Same principle as Terro only simplified and inexpensive. Terro has only 4% Borax.

Read More Answers...

Works like a charm! Better than ant traps. If it rains though, of course you have to put down more. When I see ants, I open several packets (one would probably be fine, but I tend to be a little gung ho on things) and spread them out in the path they're making.

How can I keep ants off my kitchen cupboard?

By Joann

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ants lay down a scent for other ants to follow. The thing to do is to get rid of their scent. Watch them and find out were they are traveling from and then wash down the path and where they have been with bleach and water.

Read More Answers...

To get rid of ants in the kitchen I sprinkle cinnamon on them and around the spot that they seem to be interested in. My local dollar store is a great source for cinnamon. The ants came marching in to the dog and cat food bowls and I sprinkled a bit of cinnamon.

Please help I have ants are all in my kitchen.

By

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This sounds so weird but it has worked for me a few times when I can find the origin of the trail and the ants aren't too bad yet. Spray the area where the ants are coming from outside and all the ants on the trail inside with a high alcohol content body spray (the perfumed kind) and then don't clean up the ants or the body spray for a day. Or since it's probably the high alcohol content that is doing the trick perhaps just put some isopropyl alcohol in a bottle and spary with that instead.

If they are really, really bad and you can't find their entry of origin go to your local hardware store and get the Combat ant disks that have 'guaranteed in 24 hours' written on the package and put one under your refrigerator and one under your stove. How these work is the ants put the poison'food' in them in their mouth, carry it back to the nest, feed the queen ant with it, the queen ant dies from the poison and the entire colony dies because she died. Ant those particular disks indeed work in 24 hours ;-)

PS - My indoor kitty cat does not lick up the perfumed spray/dead ants and she can't get to the disks under the refrigerator or stove so am pretty sure other pets or children wouldn't/couldn't either.

Read More Answers...
        Load More
        Home and Garden Pest Control AntsJuly 12, 2011
        Getting Rid of Ants
        Getting Rid of Ants
        Ants on a Trumpet Vine
        Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
        Ant on a leaf.
        Getting Rid of Ants in Outdoor Potted Plants
        Flying ant on a white background.
        Getting Rid of Flying Ants
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 2, 2016 at 2:07:30 PM on 10.0.2.115 in 461 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.