Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

With the current heat wave and lack of water, my kitchen has been invaded by ants. They are everywhere. Please help with suggestions on how to keep them from coming in and then not coming back.

By Deborah from Temecula, CA

Answers:

Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

I don't know if you want a remedy that isn't a chemical, but if you are not opposed to using chemicals, the best thing I have found to eliminate ants in my kitchen is a product called Terro. It comes in a small bottle, and is a clear substance that has a consistency similar to honey. Just take a small piece of waxed paper, pour out a couple drops of the Terro on the waxed paper, and put it in an out of the way area of your windowsill or counter where you are seeing ants. In minutes, they will form a ring around the drops, and soon after that, they will be gone. Repeat the treatment as needed. (09/04/2009)

By Harlean from AR

Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

Try black pepper as mentioned in today's site. (09/04/2009)

By rasta

Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

I just read where you can wipe their path with a cotton ball filled with vinegar and it will erase the scent they follow. Also, a chalk line works. And when they keep 'butting" the line they fall off the wall. Don't know if it kills them or what, but it does deter them. Good luck. (09/04/2009)

By HalfWhit

Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

Do not use black pepper around cats, it can be lethal to them. I put bay leaves on window sills, etc. (09/05/2009)

By Maryeileen

Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

Just use cinnamon, works every time. (09/05/2009)

By sillygirl1717

Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

I won't use chemicals or poisons. Diatomaceous earth is a white powder used in the garden to eliminate pests. It's the best thing I've ever used for ants. Just sprinkle it on the floor, counters, or whatever; it's completely safe. Available at home stores like Lowe's for about $10 for a large bag.

Jan from FL (09/07/2009)

By jcolinger

Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen

If you try it, make sure the Diatomaceous Earth is "food grade" if you have small children or pets. (09/08/2009)

By Deeli

photo of ants eating a scrap of onion
Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen
Getting Rid of Ants
Getting Rid of Ants
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
Ant on a leaf.
Getting Rid of Ants in Outdoor Potted Plants
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🎉
🎄