Getting Rid of Bats

I was wondering how do I get rid of bats living on my trees. I look out my window and there's like cocoons everywhere all over my trees, and there's bats living in them. I want to get rid of them, they are everywhere. How would I go about getting them off my trees and away from my house?

Ashley From MA

Answers:

Getting Rid of Bats

Bats don't like the light, so either decorate your trees with outdoor "Fairy" lights or string unwanted CD's to the branches. These reflect any light and might deter them. They also dislike the smell of cedar.

I hope this helps, good luck.
Monique x
(Somerset.UK) (05/18/2005)

By Monique

Getting Rid of Bats

Call your local state park and ask if they can help you locate someone who can solve your problem.
(05/18/2005)

By mkymlp

Getting Rid of Bats

Although I have no ideas about how to get rid of bats, I have a question: why would you want to? They normally don't bother people, and they're wonderful for keeping mosquitoes and other night time nibblers away. We had one that lived on our front porch for a year or more, and now that he's gone I miss having him fly over our heads once it started getting dark. Call me crazy, but I'm seriously considering some bat houses to attract more to my yard.

Terry from Chilli, OH (05/19/2005)

By terdralynn

Getting Rid of Bats

I read an article recently that bats eat 10,000 mosquitoes an hour. Sound like a good mosquito controller to me.

Susan from ThriftyFun (05/23/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Getting Rid of Bats

The best site I've found on Bat control is here:

www.batcon.org

Bottom line: you need to find out where they get in and give them a one-way door out. Then (in about a week to make sure they are gone) use a sealant (caulk) to close their entrance for good.

The web site said that electronic devices don't work (too bad for me) and killing them may leave nasty, decaying carcasses and poison potential for the family pets. So, if you can build a one-way exit, the bats will find another place. Additionally, if you build them another place to live, in conjunction with evicting them from your attics, you'll serve them and yourself at the same time. (06/28/2005)

By Mark M.

Getting Rid of Bats

We found out about this accidentally through a friend. This works 100% first you get the bats out of where ever they are. Ours were living in an vent under the roof overhang, then, while they are gone, hang a mobile which you've made out of small double sided mirrors. This mobile should be big enough to cover the area they or getting into. We did this and no more bats got in there. It must mess with their radar and then they can't "see" to get in their "hang-out". We had friends that discovered this in a porch area that always had a couple of bats and they hung up a mirrored mobile and no more bats. I thought it was worth trying and it worked. (08/05/2005)

By J. Warren from Greenville, SC

Getting Rid of Bats

Here is a link that might help.

www.nwf.org/backyardwildlifehabitat/bathouse

Because bats are beneficial in keeping insects away, mosquitoes especially, it might be best to follow some of the advice in bat proofing your house, but building them a bat house away from your dwelling. That way you won't have them flying around your house, but will still get the benefit of their eating the insects.

Susan from ThriftyFun (08/06/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Bat flying over a field.
Getting Rid of Bats
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Making Mini Pumpkin Bats
Making Mini Pumpkin Bats
🎄