Getting Rid of Black Medic Weed

Category Weeds
Medicago lupulina (Black medick)
Black medic weed is a small clover like nitrogen fixing summer annual that can appear in lawns. This is a guide about getting rid of black medic weed.

How can I kill it in my lawn as it's overtaking it?

By Mike

Isn't that stuff awful! It can really take over. If you use something like a granular Weed and Feed, it will fertilize the grass and kill the broadleaf weeds in the lawn. There are also sprays that will only kill weeds, not the lawn. Find them in a garden center. I've been spraying weeds using plain old vinegar with a squirt of dish soap, but it does kill the grass around the weed so you might not want to use it in conspicuous areas.

I,ve been successful with following: If the Black Medic is in sparse grass (not within dense grass), spend a little time pulling these noxious weeds out, preferably before the weeds has flowered. My method (which seems to work), first moisten soil, gather stems into a clump and pull out. Their root system is shallow so they pull out easily. Thoroughly look for stray sprouts around clump pulled out and likewise pull them out. Because the root system is shallow, I've successfully used a small spade to dig out the roof mass of this week, and then spread some potting soil into area of removed dirt.

Once established, and fully flowered, or before the weed has flowered, I've found that chemical sprays, such as Ortho Weed-B-Gon Weed Killer for lawns, or better yet, Ortho Weed-B-Gon for Chickweed, Clover, and Oxalis work well. Spectracide Weed-Stop, for lawns is comparable. May need several applications. Apply chemical application(s) in strict compliance to manufacturer's recommendations.

Note: in early spring, amending your soil by aerating and applying weed and seed fertilizer will help minimize all weed growth.