Getting Rid of Blow Flies

Yesterday evening I entered my bathroom, I had been invaded with blowflies. I could not see a source for entry into the bathroom, nor a source for attracting them. Any ideas on how to deal with this?

At first I used a swatter and quickly killed about 25 of them. When I went back several hours later a new bunch had come in. I sprayed with disinfectant got a few, but swatted the rest. This morning I had a new bunch. Sprayed with Raid bug spray.

I know they are attracted and come from something dead. So far no smell, but I have seen signs of a field rat around the house. (Have not had field rats in years). I have some traps set, but not tripped. What can I do to get rid these bad things from my bathroom? Please if anyone has an idea, I need help. Thank you!

oredwine1933

Answers:

Getting Rid of Blow Flies

I had a similar episode recently, not with blow flies, but just plain old house flies. They were gathering in my kitchen window behind my sink. I swatted a dozen or so, and the next time I looked there were that many more. So I took one of the old fashioned "fly ribbons" and hung it in the window for a few days. It caught them, and after about 3 days, I was seeing no more flies, and removed the ribbon.

For you young people who don't know what a "fly ribbon" is, you can still buy them at the feed stores and I believe WalMart sells them in the garden center. They are enclosed in a round cylinder, and have a hanger sticking out the top. You remove the lid, and begin to slowly pull the ribbon out. Be careful in handling it because it is very sticky. I just pull out 3 or 4 inches, because it tends to stretch on its own as it hangs. But the flies are attracted to it, and they get caught and can't get loose. They are very inexpensive, like 3 or 4 for $2.00.
(07/09/2008)

By Harlean from Arkansas

RE: Getting Rid of Blow Flies

Getting Rid of Blow Flies

The "fly ribbons" can also be referred to as "fly tape" or "fly paper". Just make absolutely sure they're hung above head level, or someone will end up with a major mess in their hair! (07/10/2008)

By WildIrish

Getting Rid of Blow Flies

I had the very same thing happen a couple of months ago, with the blow flies. Each day for about 3 days in a row, I was killing anywhere from 5 to 20 flies a day. The only thing I could think of was I'd been to yard sale and bought some things. Once I took the yard sale items outside, my fly problem quit. My husband said these items had previously sat outside someone's home for them to have laid their eggs on it. I'd never experienced anything like this before and hopefully never again! (07/17/2008)

By badwater

Getting Rid of Blow Flies

I am happy to report my blow fly problem has been solved for a long time. I used the "Raid" spray and "fly strips" to get rid of them. Thanks for your good advice and help.

Oneta (07/07/2009)

By oredwine1933

Getting Rid of Blow Flies
House fly on a white surface.
Getting Rid of Flies at a Restaurant
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Fly paper strips hanging by clothes pins.
Making Fly Paper
🎉
🎄