Getting Rid of Cat Urine Odors Outside

Outdoor cats can create quite an odor near your home, as they revisit their chosen pee spot. This is a guide about getting rid of cat urine odors outside.

cat sitting outside
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I bought a house, and it had a small trailer attached and there were cats staying under the trailer. Well I threw rags with ammonia under the trailer, that kept the cats away and I blocked their entrance, but I have that terrible smell, and my dogs are going crazy running from place to place smelling the odor, and it sometimes smells up my house. I have to light candles all the time. How can I get rid of that odor?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Cat urine odor is very difficult to permanently neutralize. There are some products at pet stores, Walmart etc., that can help neutralize the smell if the problem area is small, however, from your description, you most probably need a pest control service to spray/soak the entire area several times over several weeks.

Good Luck!

I have a cat that is not fixed yet. I smell cat urine from outside, at least that is what I think I am smelling. I would like to know what I can put around the windows to take away the smell.

By ladyhawk13 from Guelph, Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please get your cat fixed, for more reasons than the smell. He's marking his territory and so other tom cats will come along and mark it also. Cat urine is very hard to get rid of. If you get your cat fixed (many areas have low or reduced fees available), this marking process will stop as will the cycle of your cat having fathered hundreds of kittens, many of whom end up being euthanized.

I live in a trailer, I have cats outside that live under the trailer. They just moved in within the last few months. I have noticed an ammonia smell coming through my vents.

How can I get rid of the smell without hurting or poisoning my cats or running them off? I want them to stay, to keep the mice away. Anyone with any good ideas?

By Darlene from Dallas, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This can't be a good situation for you. If you are smelling ammonia it means they are urinating, and if they are urinating they are defecating too... and if you can smell the ammonia, then you are breathing it in and that means you are also -most likely- breathing in very minute particles of fecal matter, and that can set up a whole range of health problems .... the least of which not being Toxoplasmosis.

In humans, Toxoplasma gondii, may affect many different organs of the body, causing many different types of clinical signs. The respiratory system is commonly involved and pneumonia may result. The most common finding is a mild, flu-like illness that lasts a few days. Most people recover uneventfully, but repeated exposure to the lungs can cause scarring and lung damage.

Even if the patient sees a physician, the illness may still be attributed to the flu unless special blood tests are run. If ingestion occurs you could become infected and a carrier.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry so much about the mice as I would my respiratory system and my health. You could always build some sort of cat house and set out food/water to entice them to stay there, and then place barriers to prevent them from going under the trailer again.

Pets Pet OdorsMarch 27, 2013
    Dog Urinating Outdoors
    Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
    Couch with urine odors.
    Removing Urine Odors from a Couch
    cat in a house
    Getting Rid of Cat Urine Odors
    Cleaning Urine Off Grout
    Cleaning Urine Off Grout
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 26, 2016 at 4:03:54 AM on 10.0.1.57 in 271 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.