Getting Rid of Cat Urine Odors Outside

Outdoor cats can create quite an odor near your home, as they revisit their chosen pee spot. This is a guide about getting rid of cat urine odors outside.

cat sitting outside
Filter Sort

Question: Eliminating Cat Urine Odor Outdoors

By ladyhawk13 2

I have a cat that is not fixed yet. I smell cat urine from outside, at least that is what I think I am smelling. I would like to know what I can put around the windows to take away the smell.

By ladyhawk13 from Guelph, Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Dreamwvr 1 78 Flag

Please get your cat fixed, for more reasons than the smell. He's marking his territory and so other tom cats will come along and mark it also. Cat urine is very hard to get rid of. If you get your cat fixed (many areas have low or reduced fees available), this marking process will stop as will the cycle of your cat having fathered hundreds of kittens, many of whom end up being euthanized.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Rid of Cat Urine Odor Under House Without Harming Cats

By Darlene 1

I live in a trailer, I have cats outside that live under the trailer. They just moved in within the last few months. I have noticed an ammonia smell coming through my vents.

How can I get rid of the smell without hurting or poisoning my cats or running them off? I want them to stay, to keep the mice away. Anyone with any good ideas?

By Darlene from Dallas, TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jarron 7 106 Flag

This can't be a good situation for you. If you are smelling ammonia it means they are urinating, and if they are urinating they are defecating too... and if you can smell the ammonia, then you are breathing it in and that means you are also -most likely- breathing in very minute particles of fecal matter, and that can set up a whole range of health problems .... the least of which not being Toxoplasmosis.

In humans, Toxoplasma gondii, may affect many different organs of the body, causing many different types of clinical signs. The respiratory system is commonly involved and pneumonia may result. The most common finding is a mild, flu-like illness that lasts a few days. Most people recover uneventfully, but repeated exposure to the lungs can cause scarring and lung damage.

Even if the patient sees a physician, the illness may still be attributed to the flu unless special blood tests are run. If ingestion occurs you could become infected and a carrier.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry so much about the mice as I would my respiratory system and my health. You could always build some sort of cat house and set out food/water to entice them to stay there, and then place barriers to prevent them from going under the trailer again.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Pets Pet OdorsMarch 27, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Dog on Laminate Flooring
Removing Pet Urine Stains and Odors from Laminate Flooring
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
Couch with urine odors.
Removing Urine Odors from a Couch
cat in a house
Getting Rid of Cat Urine Odors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:59:44 AM on 10.0.1.188 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings