Getting Rid of Centipedes Inside Your Home

While you may be fine with centipedes outside in your garden, things change when they venture inside. This is a guide about getting rid of centipedes inside your home.

Centipede
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

What do centipedes hate?

By 1visionn from NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You need a de-humidifier not a humidifier to get rid of moisture.

Read More Answers...

Centipedes love my bathroom and the closet near it. How can I get rid of them? Do they bite? They seem to come out at night and when the lights are out in the bathroom and closet. There is nothing worse when you're brushing your teeth or hair and you see this weird thing reflecting in your mirror. Then you turn around, take your shoe off and softly squish. If you miss they run fast. Shoes were not meant for that so I use Clorox wipes for my shoes underneath. Then clean like crazy. I live in a 1920's building with lots of wood and holes here and there. I am not sure what to use to seal them up. I'll have to let my landlord know soon. I always make sure before I'm in the shower to check for these nasty things. I freak out every time I see them.

By Amy C

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dehumidifiers get rid of moisture - humidifiers add moisture. So you actually want to get a dehumidifier.

Read More Answers...

I need a home remedy to get rid of centipedes. I found one in my house and I have a cat and don't want to put anything chemical out that might hurt the cat. Any suggestions as to what I can use to get rid of centipedes?

By Connie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Diatomaceous Earth is a great way to get rid of any bug. You have the option of buying the food grade so if you place it somewhere that someone (your child or your pet) might get it in their mouth, it will not hurt them. It is effective on all kinds of bugs which means it will work on ants, bugs, beetles, crickets, centipedes, roaches, spiders and more. It dehydrates bugs. However it does not work fast, it will take some time. I cannot tell you exactly how long. I watched a roach get into it and it slowed him down but did not kill him instantly. Afterwards I found a roach dehydrated and dead. So diatomaceous earth is what I would suggest for someone who wants to kill bugs naturally or for someone who has a pet. It is available at any hardware store or online and is very affordable, 1lb food grade diatomaceous earth for $9.99.

Read More Answers...

I would like to know how to get rid of centipedes in my house.

By Sheila

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I was hoping someone had answered as I'm seeing them in my house too. I'm told there are harmless and to kill them and sweep them up but there must be something else I can do...help?

How do you get rid of centipedes in one's home?

By Nadine from Canonsburg, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Diatomaceous earth in finely powdered form is a lung irritant. Please keep it outside. Sprinkle around your foundation, door step, and windows if they don't open or if you don't use a fan. Borax is also natural, but a larger particulate in powder form. It can also irritate if inhaled, but it works. Also if you keep it out of high traffic areas & use a good vacuum, it should not bother you.

Read More Answers...

Help, I have centipedes in my bathtub and would like to know how to get rid of them. All help will be appreciated.

Nan in Northwest Iowa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

first, caulk everything: tub, walls, cabinets and floor. next use a pyrethrum based insecticide like home defense, around all openings, both inside and outside house.

I need a natural repellent for house centipedes. They come from my basement up my kitchen walls. Creepy. I hate to spray insecticide near food.

By Lynnski from RI

Answers:

Natural Remedy For Centipedes

When I had centipedes (a lot of them), I called an entomologist (bug guy) at the university. He said the only effective way to get rid of centipedes (as opposed to continually killing them) is to get rid of "sow bugs". Evidently, sow bugs are the only thing centipedes eat, and centipedes will only come into your house if you have sow bugs. (Sow bugs, I think, are small, oval-shaped, somewhat furry looking bugs that primary set up housekeeping in the basement or around foundation of the house.)

Get rid of the sow bugs, and you'll get rid of the centipedes. Sow bugs love and need moisture, so the guy told me to keep my basement as dry as possible and don't leave damp laundry lying around. He recommended that I get a dehumidifier and run it (in basement) pretty much constantly during the wet and humid season. He said I could caulk cracks in the houses foundation, but that centipedes could get in the tiniest of cracks.

This whole sow bug/dehumidifier advice all seemed unlikely to me, but I did it anyway. It totally worked! I rarely see a centipede anymore, usually only when I forget to run the dehumidifier. Yes, it was an expense, but living centipede-free is worth it. Hope this helps. (05/19/2010)

By Anonymous

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone have a natural solution for getting rid of centipedes? I live in a first floor duplex and have been noticing more of them in the cold weather.

Chicago-girl from Chicago

Answers:

Natural Remedy For Centipedes

I shouldn't have looked this up so close to bedtime:

getridofthings.com

Some more natural ones on the right sidebar. (10/07/2008)

By Kaelle

Natural Remedy For Centipedes

For indoors try placing mice glue boards along the base boards, behind furniture, and on either side of entryways. This will help. Check seals on all doors leading outside for gaps. Check windows also for any cracks. You can seal these fairly cheaply and save on heating and cooling bills to boot. If you have mulch or high grass around the foundation that is where they tend to come from as other insects live there. Cut the grass low and move the mulch 6 inches from the foundation it will help.

Kevin K., Certified Applicator in the state of Texas (10/09/2008)

By Kevin K

Natural Remedy For Centipedes

Try borax, I have them as well. I have borax under my dishwasher and behind my stove. I haven't seen any since. I live in the city around mulch which is under my steps going outside. So try it and let me know if it helps you any. (10/13/2008)

By Sue

Natural Remedy For Centipedes

What I use for ants is powdered cayenne pepper. I sprinkle it outside the house where they come in and also inside. I used the very strong BTU cayenne. A lot of health food stores carry the higher BTU cayenne. (10/16/2008)

By Suzann

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Pest Control BugsJanuary 26, 2013
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Removing Condensation from Inside a Watch
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 5:37:21 PM on 10.0.1.143 in 712 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.