Getting Rid of Chipmunks

How do I set up a 5 gallon water bucket to eliminate chipmunks?

By Steven from MI

Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Hello. What do you mean a 5 gallon water bucket? You aren't going to hurt them are you? Please be more specific in your post. Thank you. (10/18/2010)

By K9cats

Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Don't hurt them. They are so cute. Just make sure there isn't anything they like to eat if you don't want them around. Like sunflowers or nut trees. They have enough enemies as it is. Owls, hawks, foxes, etc. all feed on them. (10/18/2010)

By Lilac

Getting Rid of Chipmunks

Ground squirrels/chipmunks, depending on the part of the country you live in. Until you have them get into your house, destroy your home interiors/garages, eat the wires, start the fires, then you can be brave enough to tell people they can't belong to this group.

Personally, we use the live trap with both nuts and apples and vet suggested the demise we use. When the fat old grey squirrel gets in it, we let them back out. When street rats, skunks, sewer rats, rabid things wander into your back yard, do you call for animal control? What do you do when bats join your household? Let them be? Same with the gophers which ate up all we planted in the garden this year, should not the decon have been set out for them? Or we should not have food for the fall/winter months?

The bottom rubber on my new garage door was eaten by them so they could get into the garage. They ate a hole in a wooden cupboard to get in and make a nest--they pulled the insulation off the walls to stuff in there. They get into your car engines, eat the wiring, get into the inner compartments, take care of the seats. I personally am not sending RSVP messages to the mice/rats/skunks/vermin/and anything else. Assuming you keep food in your kitchen cupboards, once they get inside, it is hard for them to keep contained from anything they want. Sort of like the new bedbug rampage. Not in my house you don't!

So, for those who have not the problem and think everyone else should put up with it, not going to happen. As humanely as possible, most of us deal with what we have to. Right down to the mouse in the trap. (10/18/2010)

By TandT Grandma

Getting Rid of Chipmunks

My god! What kind of monster chipmunks do you have in those southern regions! Our chipmunks are cute little things that sit on a pile of firewood and flick their tail at you! Further south, in Sask we have gophers, which are really Richardson's ground squirrels, and they can be quite the nuisance in pastures and I expect, gardens. They like grassland, and so aren't much of a problem here in the parkland/ boreal forest. Red squirrels can be pesky if you get overrun with them.

I still stand by recommendation for mice, cats. I don't have any kind of a rodent problem, and I know my main hunter cat gets squirrels and our little chipmunks, mice and birds who get feeling too smart. (If you don't want to get eaten, don't swoop close to the ground, the cat can't fly!)

Weighing in on debate about the pail of water. I don't think this is a very humane way to get rid of animals that are so numerous as to be pests. Surely someone else has a better method. Or maybe dead is dead. Is it better to drown or be eaten by a cat? (10/19/2010)

By louel53

Getting Rid of Chipmunks
Getting Rid of Chipmunks
A chipmunk sitting on a brand.
Keeping Chipmunks Out of a Garden
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
iTunes icon on a phone
Getting Rid of Duplicates in iTunes