Getting Rid of Creeping Charlie

I have creeping charlie that has consumed the back yard! Can I get rid of it without chemicals?

By Missy

Getting Rid of Creeping Charlie

Unfortunately, creeping charlie is a fast spreader. Mowing helps it along as runners are cut up and thrown out to grasp elsewhere.

We are plagued with this weed and it's taking over the grass. Buying a weed killer is about the only solution I know that will kill it back.

I've pulled the runners filling at least seven black bags full so it can dry out and be burned. Do not just toss this weed after pulling into the garden area or meadow as it will return.

By Lorelei

Getting Rid of Creeping Charlie

Try using vinegar. It will kill anything that you spray it on, so be careful around any plants that you want to keep!
Another suggestion: post it for "free" on; on Craig's list in your area; and on Yahoo local garden trading groups.

However, the only creeping charlie that I have ever seen has always been in hanging baskets. (09/18/2010)

By MzScarlett

Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
Man on the Street in Charlie Chaplin Costume
Making a Charlie Chaplin Costume
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Sanvitalia (Creeping Zinnia)
Growing Sanvitalia (Creeping Zinnia)