Getting Rid of Crickets

I am lucky to have a source from the local race track for straw that has been in the stalls, and enriched by the horses for mulching my garden. I love not having to pull weeds, and then tilling it into the soil in the fall to enrich the soil. But it has caused one effect that I need some help with.

Last summer, I had a hard time growing pole beans because they were eaten off as soon as the poked up out of the soil. I blamed the rabbits at first, bun then discovered that my straw mulch was hiding lots of crickets, and they were observed chewing on my young bean plants. I would like to treat my garden with something to deter the crickets.

Would it help to put down something on the ground before I add the mulch, and what would work best? I use insecticides sparingly, but I do use them when nothing else works. I am thinking a little Sevin dust under the mulch might work. But I am definitely open to other suggestions.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

Harlean from Hot Springs, Arkansas

Answers:

Getting Rid of Crickets

To get rid of crickets take jars the size of a quart jar and drop in a couple pieces of torn white bread. Set around anywhere you think you might have crickets. They hop in for the bread and can't get out. Then take the kids fishing and let them get hooked on a good thing. Food, togetherness, fresh air, Mother Earth, etc. If you have kids some day you'll never regret it. I know.

Happily loved mother of 3 beautiful sons. (03/28/2008)

By mbwright

Getting Rid of Crickets
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Cricket on white
Getting Rid of Crickets in the House
Woman Showing Cricket to Children
Crickets as Pets
Cricket on a leaf.
Getting Rid of Crickets Outside
🎉
🎄