Cleaning of Footprints on Laminate Floor

Hard surface floors such as wood, tile, and laminate can show water spots, foot prints, and other smudges. Using the right cleaner will remove footprints, and the like on your flooring. This is a guide about cleaning footprints on laminate floor.

cleaning a laminate floor
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 5, 2008 Flag

I have laminate flooring and have been cleaning it with a Swiffer Wet Jet. Now every foot print shows up on the floor. How do I get the floor back to the way it was? It looks horrible right now.

Steve from Nesconset, NY

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use pledge multi surface floor cleaner on my laminate floors. I use a green rectangular (Maybe 5x8" wide) mop that I found at the dollar store for $8.00. It is plastic, has a very thin, strip of white foam loosely attached to the bottom. It came with a white terry cloth elasticized pad that you use on the bottom. Extra pads are $2.00 each.

The trick to prevent streaking is to wet the terry cloth pad, wring it out good, squirt a small amount of the cleaner over a 3'x3' area, then mop it up. I put mine in a spray bottle and spray it. Just a very light spray.You will have to rinse the cloth pad out several times while mopping. Just throw it in the washing machine on wash day.

The floor should dry in four or five minutes. If not, you are using too much cleaner. Also, no matter what kind of vacuum cleaner you have it will not pick up all the dirt and dust. I found a mop kit at the dollar store for $5.00 (with dry pads) that I run over my floor with after vacuuming. You will be shocked at how much dirt/dust you pick. When the dusting pad gets dirty in one place, I re-attach it in another place. After that side is dirty, I turn it over and use it some more. Save those nickels and dimes!

These are also great for dusting, picking up dog hair, etc. The dogs leave tracks because their feet are damp from going outdoors or from stepping into water at their watering bowl. Haven't figured out a way to prevent that.

Try Pledge Wood Floor Cleaner. I use an OrangeGlo mopping pad that is dampened and it works great. The OrangeGlo Hardwood Floor Cleaner is NOT okay for Laminate, but the Pledge Wood Floor Cleaner is and it helped me with the streaking, having to dry it, etc. I just mop in on (just enough water to dampen pad) and it dries almost immediately.

With two little boys who are barefoot and tend to get milk etc. on my floors, there's always smudges and footprints on my laminate floors. The best thing is 1/2 White Vinegar and 1/2 Water in a spray bottle. I put an old bath towel on the end of a swiffer and spray and wipe with the towel. It works great and is really easy! My floors look beautiful when I'm done. I just wish there was a way to avoid smudges and footprints on my laminate floors.

I agree with the swiffer we jet, it leaves a film on the floor. I just got new laminate floor in my laundry room and Home Depot told me to use the Bruce's laminate floor cleaner. I also do the same thing as posted above and that is after running the sweeper, use one of the swiffer dry clothes and you will be amazed at the stuff still on your floor.

Patty

Read More Answers...

September 23, 2013 Flag

I have been regretful of our floor choice from day one of my laminate floor install. We choose them due to high traffic and pool access. I've searched for years for the right solution for the footprints and smudges that show up immediately after cleaning the floor. So, finally here it is!

Cheap and simple odorless mineral spirits (in the paint section of the big box stores next to thinners) and water. I make a 50/50 mixture and use a mopping pad, working backwards in medium sections. After each section, I take an old bath towel (or cheap one) and dry the section just cleaned. Wait until dry to walk on the floor. I've only done this once so far but NO footprints.

Previously, any solution: Swifter, Bona, Vinegar, etc., would show footprints immediately. Fingers crossed and I am calm after cleaning!

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsJuly 2, 2013
    Cleaning Laminate Flooring, Red dry mop cleaning laminate floors
    Cleaning Laminate Flooring
    dog on laminate flooring
    Dog Afraid of Laminate Floor
    Man Removing Wax From Laminate Flooring
    Removing Wax From Laminate Flooring
    laminate wood flooring
    White Marks on Laminate Flooring
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 10:30:57 AM on 10.0.2.102 in 907 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.