Getting Rid of Fruit Flies

How do you get rid of fruit flies?

By Ruth

Best Answer

You will have to eliminate their food source in your home (such as overripe or rotting fruit, unrinsed fruit cans, or even fruit you've left out to ripen). Once you are sure they have nowhere else to feed, you can set small dishes of cider vinegar with just a drop of dish soap in them on the counter. The fruit flies will land on the vinegar to feed, but the soap will have broken the surface tension and they will fall in and drown. It's kind of gross, you'll end up with little dishes of vinegar with lots of dead fruit flies; but after a few days they'll be gone. Refresh the dishes every day or two. You can run it down the drain, or flush it.

To get rid of fruit flies just put fill a glass with water and then put a few spoon fulls of vinegar. Leave the cup overnight and all of the fruit flies will have landed in the vinegar. Works like a charm.

Just use the vinegar water, because during canning time you'll get fruit flies.

I never had luck with the vinegar water with dish detergent. Sticky hang strips can work VERY well. Sticky hang tape can be gotten at hardware stores, or most places that sell bug spray. They are very cheap too. You can get 4-5 for something like $2-$3. You can also get them on line.

Put some small pieces of fruit in a bowl and over it with plastic wrap. Poke a couple small holes in the plastic wrap with a toothpick or something similar. the fruit flies are then attracted to this, and can get in, but they can't figure out how to get out! Works wonderfully all summer long. You may, of course, need to replace/replenish the fruit, but this helped me so very much last year!

When I begin to see gnats in the house, I check the p-traps under the sink. To remove it, I place a pan under the pipe to catch the water that will be dripping. If you have plastic pipes, it is easy to remove. Just give the two connecters a twist with your hands and they come loose easily. Twist both ends at the same time. Empty the water into the toilet and flush. Using a bottle brush, clean the trap and also run the bottle brush up the pipe. I didn't show it, but gunk accumulates around the top of the p-trap just above where the water collects and I think this is where the gnats are coming from because after I do this, I don't have a problem with gnats and I have bananas sitting out.

Getting Rid of Fruit Flies, Fruit Fly on Apple
Getting Rid of Fruit Flies
Home and Garden Pest Control FliesJuly 7, 2011
House fly on a white surface.
Getting Rid of Flies at a Restaurant
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Fly paper strips hanging by clothes pins.
Making Fly Paper